On second thoughts - Peter Reid

Quite simply he changed the club and demanded Bob Murray changed too. He was the first managerial appointment Murray made that wasn’t hanging around the club already cleaning toilets or something. I.e. on the cheap. And he demanded the club do things better instead of penny pinching on everything and basically changed the whole ethos.

What a complete load of f***ing tosh. Yes he was good in his time here for us and probably our best team in ages, but haway Keegan had them into Europe and a gnats hair off winning the league.

Stinks of trying to big up one of our ex managers for whatever reason!?

Least king Reid wasn't a serial bottler unlike curly perm
Mags
Fulham
England

Keegan got the mags to 2nd but spent fuck loads of money.

What did Reid spend on his great teams? 300k on skp. 1.3m on snq. Clark 3m? Summerbee in a swap for Russell. Sorenson 500k? Butler? Bould? Allan Johnston 500k? Makin? Mickey Gray he made him the player he was. Transformed dicky ord also. And bally in many ways.

I remember that game. It was fever pitch at that time. Stadium was bouncing.

Couple of sliding wall moments around that time. Losing that game was one of them. Both the 7th place finishes could've been top 4 or 5 and European footy..... Always leaves a pang of regret in my mind for not savouring it more
Two of his big buys at the time we were on the way up were Schwartz and Thome. 4.5m each iirc and worth every penny. 2.5m each on Clark and Hutch also great signings. Losing Hutch was a huge blow.

Two of his big buys at the time we were on the way up were Schwartz and Thome. 4.5m each iirc and worth every penny. 2.5m each on Clark and Hutch also great signings. Losing Hutch was a huge blow.

All 4 of those lads you mentioned were men and leaders

Add bould to that. And quinny up top.

And young micky Gray is wearing the armband.

What a time to be following SAFC and a proud of the club.
Don't think he's ever been on the podcast but he did the after dinner circuit with Makin and Gray a few years ago before he went out to the middle east. Really funny bloke, the three of them were excellent

Loved watching him play

And then when you watch his dad in the 70s. I've never seen a father son resemblance like it. That laid back 'lethargic' body language

Last edited:
All 4 of those lads you mentioned were men and leaders

Add bould to that. And quinny up top.

And young micky Gray is wearing the armband.

What a time to be following SAFC and a proud of the club.

Loved watching him play

And then when you watch his dad in the 70s. I've never seen a father son resemblance like it. That laid back 'lethargic' body language
Aye, madness how quickly it turned to shit as they were replaced with the likes of McAteer, Babb and Flo.

Great, great days. I can remember having a sinking feeling reading that we'd agreed to sell Don Hutchison to West Ham on the back pages of a paper in Madrid airport. It went downhill for me from that point.

i seem to remember both hutch and rae being 'allowed to leave' in the same week then not replaced...that week always was the end to me, things fell apart bit by bit after it.

the previous few years however were simply amazing, simple football at it's very best.

i seem to remember both hutch and rae being 'allowed to leave' in the same week then not replaced...that week always was the end to me, things fell apart bit by bit after it.

the previous few years however were simply amazing, simple football at it's very best.

We’ve certainly never come close to replicating it

He definitely had a bit of a stubborn/mean streak to him. Was a shocking decision to drop Kubitski for Hall (Hall ffs!), which prevented him from getting most consecutive games record. Hall cost us the match as well.

He treat Summerbee pretty badly as well toward the end. Speaking of which, no idea mate, but I'd love to hear it if so.

This!

Dariusz Kubicki was one of my favourites at the time, and a gentleman as well. It was a spiteful move by Reid. It wasn’t tactical or fitness, just downright nasty.

Reid had it all and pissed it away with his stubborn, vindictive nature. He’s done bugger all since, and perhaps that’s why.

Then you would be wrong.

To quote him:

"He's a reasonable manager; so get off his case." Reasonable. Not "good" or "great".

"Reid's managerial methods were undeniably primitive,"

By the way, he did a lot better at City than he did with your lot.
If that's a genuine quote then I'm offended by that semicolon. Embarrassing for a professional writer.

This!

Dariusz Kubicki was one of my favourites at the time, and a gentleman as well. It was a spiteful move by Reid. It wasn’t tactical or fitness, just downright nasty.

Reid had it all and pissed it away with his stubborn, vindictive nature. He’s done bugger all since, and perhaps that’s why.

Dunno about the latter but the former is correct, sadly.

Loved them few years under Reid but his biggest downfall was himself..we had a cracking team back then and could have and should have achieved more..now I know a lot of stuff to do with players is Chinese whispers and he said she said but..he fell out with Makin..fell out with Summerbee..fell out/contract dispute with Johnston..allegedly didn't keep his end of the bargain with Hutchison..there's four key players he let go and he tried and tried but just couldn't get the chemistry right again..we'll probably never know the 'facts' behind it all but hey ho they were great days.

Back