On second thoughts - Peter Reid

Gutted I was too young to really appreciate it, I was 8 years old when we finished 7th first time round and assumed the good times would last forever. :(

I knew something special was going to happen, there was a vibe,
I thought we would go on to win things and establish ourselves as a top club again.
Certainly never thought we would end up worse than post Lawry mac :(

We will be back ;)

What a complete load of f***ing tosh. Yes he was good in his time here for us and probably our best team in ages, but haway Keegan had them into Europe and a gnats hair off winning the league.

Stinks of trying to big up one of our ex managers for whatever reason!?
Agreed. As much as I loved that period with Quinn/SKP, the new stadium etc,comparing it to Keegan’s mags is laughable. We were a good side, but his was a very good side which bred the delusions of grandeur we see so often from them these days.

Watched Sunderland since 1980 when I was 10.
Happiest times ever with Peter Reid. I didn't want him sacked even as they struggled at the end.
Since then only Roy Keane's time has gave me any real pleasure.
Will Sunderland ever finish 7th again in my lifetime?
I thought with Keane those days would come back in time but since he went I have never expected those 7th place finishes to be repeated.
7th place now would give European football something I have yet to see and doubt I will ever see.
7th was a massive disappointment at the time. Totally collapsed in the second half of both seasons with huge winless runs..... oh what could have been

7th was a massive disappointment at the time. Totally collapsed in the second half of both seasons with huge winless runs..... oh what could have been

That 2nd season in particular we really should have got a Champions League place. Graham Poll's "performance" in that game against Man U at the SOL was as inept a performance from a ref as you are ever likely to see.

Really bad collapse in the 2nd half of that season.

The last game at Everton, we had to win and hope Chelsea lost to get the last European place, will never forget SKP had his head in his heads after it finished 2-2.

Peter Reid was the best Sunderland manager since our fall from the grace of being the Bank of England club in the 1950's. I have been following SAFC since th 1970's and those days were the most exciting in that period. We had to expand the stadium to accomodate and had our highest average crowds since the 1950's c. 47,000. Disgraceful that some "fans" decided he had took us as far he could and hounded him out.
There was discontent but he wasn’t hounded out.

It was the best period of supporting Sunderland in my lifetime (born 1972).

Every week was a pleasure going to the SoL. We gave literally everyone a proper tough game and watching World Cup winners laid on deck scratching their heads as Quinn and Phillips celebrated was unreal.

The fact that we got 42k for a reserve game is the only stat you need to look at to get a flavour of how huge the buzz was for Sunderland at that time.

This, and precisely why you don’t even need to be massively successful here to be a legend. That’s why I’d consider us such an attractive proposition for players and investors really - can do relatively nothing but be revered for all time in the north east, only takes a few reasonable finishes and a bit of positive football

What a complete load of f***ing tosh. Yes he was good in his time here for us and probably our best team in ages, but haway Keegan had them into Europe and a gnats hair off winning the league.

Keegan spent ALOT of money to ultimately not win anything.
I actually quite like keegan, seems a decent bloke but newcastle were spending money like confetti in those early days of the premier.
Any newcastle fan that tells you otherwise is trying to rewrite history

A titan if SAFC history and a truly great moral leader for our club.
I’d take him back now.
I admire that he went out to the far east to sample different footballing cultures, he’ll be a better manager now than he was whilst here

i seem to remember both hutch and rae being 'allowed to leave' in the same week then not replaced...that week always was the end to me, things fell apart bit by bit after it.

the previous few years however were simply amazing, simple football at it's very best.

it was utterly pathetic letting roy, rae and hutch go

meaning we then had jason mcateer, thirlwell instead
This!

Dariusz Kubicki was one of my favourites at the time, and a gentleman as well. It was a spiteful move by Reid. It wasn’t tactical or fitness, just downright nasty.

Reid had it all and pissed it away with his stubborn, vindictive nature. He’s done bugger all since, and perhaps that’s why.

he was great, but he was so infuriating too

helmer treatment

summerbee, johnston, kubicki/hall, selling rae, the hutch thing, bridges, freezing out smith, refusing intertoto x2 when he had legions of players he bought frozen out who could have played the easy early games without affecting our league season

not strengthening either january in the 7th seasons

if we signed mboma in that first jan probs would have done v well
Not just dismantling sides but dismantling f*cking good sides. :cool:

to this day in my head i still see that basic model of team and tactics as being effective at any level

big tall solid gk

reasonably quick fullbacks who bomb up and down and get stuck in

a big brute centre back and a quicker one

centre mids who are strong and can do every part of the game reasonably well!

wingers

little and large strikers

all we needed back then was a big pacey forward and perhaps a man with the keys type like ortega...

Last edited:
Keegan spent ALOT of money to ultimately not win anything.
I actually quite like keegan, seems a decent bloke but newcastle were spending money like confetti in those early days of the premier.
Any newcastle fan that tells you otherwise is trying to rewrite history

The article alludes to Reidy achieving more than Keegan. Nothing to do with money. Keegan had the better team who nearly went on to win the league and also into Europe playing some big heavy weights and beating them.

Crazy to say Reid done better. Yes he had the harder job and done fantastic on a small budget, but he didn't do better.

The article alludes to Reidy achieving more than Keegan. Nothing to do with money. Keegan had the better team who nearly went on to win the league and also into Europe playing some big heavy weights and beating them.

Crazy to say Reid done better. Yes he had the harder job and done fantastic on a small budget, but he didn't do better.

He prefaced it with "pound for pound," and threw in "arguably" as well. Reid finished nearly as high starting from a lower point and spending far less, so its a reasonable claim to say the job he did as manager was a better one.

It was a great achievement but is only relevant to KK and the mags in that it was a period of resurgence for North East football generally.

Back