On second thoughts - Peter Reid

Then you would be wrong.

To quote him:

"He's a reasonable manager; so get off his case." Reasonable. Not "good" or "great".

"Reid's managerial methods were undeniably primitive,"

By the way, he did a lot better at City than he did with your lot.
If you really want to go down that road I could spend the rest of the week qouting the illustrious scribe that is Lee Ryder.
As I said it’s what he’s written not how he’s written it. You lot need to grow a set of balls.
Journalists these days change like the weather, they follow the clicks. how will you cope when they en masse turn on your club?
They will. It’s a fact. It just hasn’t happened yet.

Peter Reid was the best Sunderland manager since our fall from the grace of being the Bank of England club in the 1950's. I have been following SAFC since th 1970's and those days were the most exciting in that period. We had to expand the stadium to accomodate and had our highest average crowds since the 1950's c. 47,000. Disgraceful that some "fans" decided he had took us as far he could and hounded him out.

I could spend the rest of the week qouting the illustrious scribe that is Lee Ryder.
Lee Ryder? He writes for a declining local newspaper that is of a very poor standard through out and will be on line only in a few years. I wouldn't really expect anything from him.

However, maybe I am being naive but I would expect a higher standard of writing from someone at The Guardian. It's not the content but the style is piss poor.

The content is like something Adrian Durham would churn out to get a reaction. Just click bait.

Lee Ryder? He writes for a declining local newspaper that is of a very poor standard through out and will be on line only in a few years. I wouldn't really expect anything from him.

However, maybe I am being naive but I would expect a higher standard of writing from someone at The Guardian. It's not the content but the style is piss poor.

The content is like something Adrian Durham would churn out to get a reaction. Just click bait.
The article was written years ago man. In any event sports journalism is on the bones of its arse now. Good sports journalists are like rocking horse shite. The Guardian haven’t by any means cornered the market in poor ones, then or now.

Keegan got the mags to 2nd but spent fuck loads of money.

What did Reid spend on his great teams? 300k on skp. 1.3m on snq. Clark 3m? Summerbee in a swap for Russell. Sorenson 500k? Butler? Bould? Allan Johnston 500k? Makin? Mickey Gray he made him the player he was. Transformed dicky ord also. And bally in many ways.
I still struggle to get my head round the fact that when we played Man Utd on 31 January 2001, it was first v second in the Premier league. Never thought I'd see us that high up if I'm honest. Oh, and I still say Graham Poll is a wanker as well.

I remember that game. It was fever pitch at that time. Stadium was bouncing.

Couple of sliding wall moments around that time. Losing that game was one of them. Both the 7th place finishes could've been top 4 or 5 and European footy..... Always leaves a pang of regret in my mind for not savouring it more

Last edited:
Keegan got the mags to 2nd but spent fuck loads of money.

What did Reid spend on his great teams? 300k on skp. 1.3m on snq. Clark 3m? Summerbee in a swap for Russell. Sorenson 500k? Butler? Bould? Allan Johnston 500k? Makin? Mickey Gray he made him the player he was. Transformed dicky ord also. And bally in many ways.

I remember that game. It was fever pitch at that time. Stadium was bouncing.

Couple of sliding wall moments around that time. Losing that game was one of them. Both the 7th place finishes could've been top 4 or 5 and European footy..... Always leaves a pang of regret in my mind for not savouring it more

Then you've got your Eric roys your Gavin mccans your jody cradds your Darren williamses your machos your bracewells.....

Watched Sunderland since 1980 when I was 10.
Happiest times ever with Peter Reid. I didn't want him sacked even as they struggled at the end.
Since then only Roy Keane's time has gave me any real pleasure.
Will Sunderland ever finish 7th again in my lifetime?
I thought with Keane those days would come back in time but since he went I have never expected those 7th place finishes to be repeated.
7th place now would give European football something I have yet to see and doubt I will ever see.

Can't help think he stumbled upon a winning formula, particularly with the two lads up front. Still, amazing days following us. For a period of time I remember going to almost every match confident of a result.

Yes Phillips and Quinn saved him a bit in 1997 but think about when he walked through the door in 1995 we were headed for relegation.

That first game vs sheff utd when he walked on pitch at 10 to 3 and walked to the D of the fulwell end penalty box and pumped his fist up "Fuckin come on"

Similarly at old Trafford the season after when the players were warming up with about 20 mins before kick off and 8,000 Sunderland fans in and he's strolling around the pitch just doing the "turn up the volume" motion to the supporters.

It's the type of thing that Neil Warnock or jurgen klopp would do to get attention but with reidy it was proper.

He had a lot of strengths and a few weaknesses but it's unfair to just draw attention to the philips and Quinn bit of lucl

Yes Phillips and Quinn saved him a bit in 1997 but think about when he walked through the door in 1995 we were headed for relegation.

That first game vs sheff utd when he walked on pitch at 10 to 3 and walked to the D of the fulwell end penalty box and pumped his fist up "Fuckin come on"

Similarly at old Trafford the season after when the players were warming up with about 20 mins before kick off and 8,000 Sunderland fans in and he's strolling around the pitch just doing the "turn up the volume" motion to the supporters.

It's the type of thing that Neil Warnock or jurgen klopp would do to get attention but with reidy it was proper.

He had a lot of strengths and a few weaknesses but it's unfair to just draw attention to the philips and Quinn bit of lucl

Yep, don't get me wrong, he did a superb job and really got the supporters on board. Loved that season where he first came in and got the job done. The next five or six years were my favourite time watching us.

He kept it simple, which was to his credit, and had partnerships battles all over the pitch.

He also played a blinder in getting Summerbee (my fave ever player for us) in for Russell.

Yep, don't get me wrong, he did a superb job and really got the supporters on board. Loved that season where he first came in and got the job done. The next five or six years were my favourite time watching us.

He kept it simple, which was to his credit, and had partnerships battles all over the pitch.

He also played a blinder in getting Summerbee (my fave ever player for us) in for Russell.

I had the 1995/6 season review on video and watched it til it was worn out. We were built on a strong back 5 (Chamberlain / Given, dariusz, Gray, ord, melville) with bracewell, ball, agnew's strength in midfield then the guile of Smith and bridges and Russell's pace, Phil Gray's guile and pedigree.

Unfortunately that was never quite gonna cut it at the top table of the premier league but we had a good stab at it and the last season at roker was memorable...

Has summerbee been roped into one of them podcasts yet? I'd be interested to listen to it for many reasons. Mainly to hear more about those late 90s years and the craic with makin, Gray, etc. But also his dad played against us in the 73 5th round which my dad hails as his favourite game since 1958....

I had the 1995/6 season review on video and watched it til it was worn out. We were built on a strong back 5 (Chamberlain / Given, dariusz, Gray, ord, melville) with bracewell, ball, agnew's strength in midfield then the guile of Smith and bridges and Russell's pace, Phil Gray's guile and pedigree.

Unfortunately that was never quite gonna cut it at the top table of the premier league but we had a good stab at it and the last season at roker was memorable...

Has summerbee been roped into one of them podcasts yet? I'd be interested to listen to it for many reasons. Mainly to hear more about those late 90s years and the craic with makin, Gray, etc. But also his dad played against us in the 73 5th round which my dad hails as his favourite game since 1958....

He definitely had a bit of a stubborn/mean streak to him. Was a shocking decision to drop Kubitski for Hall (Hall ffs!), which prevented him from getting most consecutive games record. Hall cost us the match as well.

He treat Summerbee pretty badly as well toward the end. Speaking of which, no idea mate, but I'd love to hear it if so.

Last edited:

Don't think he's ever been on the podcast but he did the after dinner circuit with Makin and Gray a few years ago before he went out to the middle east. Really funny bloke, the three of them were excellent

I'll also add that it's the only period of time in my life where it has actually been demonstrated that we could be a proper club if it all clicks together.

Every other time people only talk about what could happen or the potential of Sunderland IF we get it right.

Sadly its looking like 'getting it right' and getting to something like 7th are as rare as a planetary line up as even Shorts tenure cannot really be classed as getting it right if after a 10 year premier stint you are actually masking near administration.

We once thought of you as a scouser dressed in blue.

Now you’re red and white through and through.

We have all dreamt of the day when a saviour’d come our way.

Now we know our dreams are coming true.

Great, great days. I can remember having a sinking feeling reading that we'd agreed to sell Don Hutchison to West Ham on the back pages of a paper in Madrid airport. It went downhill for me from that point.

Back