Nottingham forest glory years

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at it from the start of each tournament I agree with the view that it was easier in those days however if you look at it from this perspective. To win it you must:

A) Win your domestic league outright

and

B) Win the knockout tournament

Then I think it was just as difficult.

Villa has to finish above all of Liverpool, Forest, Ipswich over 42 games before earning the right the kick a ball in the European Cup.
Like I say, I understand both sides of the arguments. Like you mention though, how can it be easier to win if it's harder to qualify. When this argument comes up, people always mention the opposition and, as its often not Real, Barca, Juve then it's assumed the others are rubbish. Fact is those sides weren't the best about back then, the english teams were. It's a very modern day view of the game clouding peoples judgement in my opinion.

I can’t see your logic that the title winners in Sweden, Austria and Switzerland would be more difficult to beat than second placed teams in Spain,Italy and England.

Of course it’s much harder to win nowadays.

Whether it should be called the Champions League is a different matter.
Because the also rans in the big leagues now get a slice of the huge financial action swilling around in the biggest European club football competition they can now cherry pick the best players from Sweden, Austria and Switzerland and weaken the top teams in Sweden,Austria and Switzerland thus increasing their own chances of going deeper into the biggest European club football competition thus earning more prize money, TV money, gate money, sponsorship money, club shop money and corporate hospitality money etc.
Which gives them the financial power to weaken the top teams of Serbia, Romania and Greece....etc.....Which gives them the financial power to weaken the top teams of Scotland, Hungary and Bulgaria.......etc......Ukraine, Moldova, Turkey.........Norway,Poland, Croatia.....rinse n repeat.

The reason it’s harder to win nowadays is because the top top players aren’t as spread out as they used to be.

Just in this country we can see that Englands WC winning team played for Leicester, Fulham, Huddersfield, WHU, Leeds, Everton, Utd and Liverpool. Wadnt happen now.

The big boys all over a Europe are doing a great job of looking after their own best interests a Neutral banging their drum by claiming the CL is a better competition than the EC because it’s harder to win is doing it for them.

Get Provided you don't kiss me by Duncan Hamilton and/or Nobody ever says thank you by Jonathan Wilson (hes a mackem anarl). Both brilliant reads on Clough. The former focuses purely Clough at Forest and the latter is a biography.

Because the also rans in the big leagues now get a slice of the huge financial action swilling around in the biggest European club football competition they can now cherry pick the best players from Sweden, Austria and Switzerland and weaken the top teams in Sweden,Austria and Switzerland thus increasing their own chances of going deeper into the biggest European club football competition thus earning more prize money, TV money, gate money, sponsorship money, club shop money and corporate hospitality money etc.
Which gives them the financial power to weaken the top teams of Serbia, Romania and Greece....etc.....Which gives them the financial power to weaken the top teams of Scotland, Hungary and Bulgaria.......etc......Ukraine, Moldova, Turkey.........Norway,Poland, Croatia.....rinse n repeat.

The reason it’s harder to win nowadays is because the top top players aren’t as spread out as they used to be.

Just in this country we can see that Englands WC winning team played for Leicester, Fulham, Huddersfield, WHU, Leeds, Everton, Utd and Liverpool. Wadnt happen now.

The big boys all over a Europe are doing a great job of looking after their own best interests a Neutral banging their drum by claiming the CL is a better competition than the EC because it’s harder to win is doing it for them.

Agree with every word of that mate.

I wasn’t saying in any shape or form it’s better than back then far from it, as totally agree massively with the points you have made.

Just merely saying it’s obviously more harder to win nowadays somebody said that was a lot of shit, when actually it’s obvious harder to win nowadays and probably is for the reasons you have just explained.

Last edited:
Like I say, I understand both sides of the arguments. Like you mention though, how can it be easier to win if it's harder to qualify. When this argument comes up, people always mention the opposition and, as its often not Real, Barca, Juve then it's assumed the others are rubbish. Fact is those sides weren't the best about back then, the english teams were. It's a very modern day view of the game clouding peoples judgement in my opinion.

That's the key point.

When Liverpool won their first European Cup in 1977, Borussia Mönchengladbach had the European footballer of the year, Allan Simonsen, playing for them.

They also had Berti Vogts, Rainer Bonhof, Uli Stielike and Jupp Heynckes in their team, three of those had won the World Cup in 1974.

Some folk appear to think that because they weren't Bayern Munich they must have been shite.

Missed Blackpool out there riffraff, Alan Ball was a Blackpool player when England won the world cup.

Last edited:
Rent a ghost & the Liverpool lad totally get it. There is a trade off between the way the competition is now run. Getting into it was the hard part and the competition was easier once in it. Now getting into it is easier & the competition is harder once in it. Both work on own terms but neither is better than the other

That's the key point.

When Liverpool won their first European Cup in 1977, Borussia Mönchengladbach had the European footballer of the year, Allan Simonsen, playing for them.

They also had Berti Vogts, Rainer Bonhof, Uli Stielike and Jupp Heynckes in their team, three of those had won the World Cup in 1974.

Some folk appear to think that because they weren't Bayern Munich they must have been shite.

Similarly in 1980 when Forest played Hamburg, they had Keegan playing for them who was European footballer of the year in 78 and 79, as well as several German internationals and had beaten Real Madrid 5-3 on aggregate (5-1 at home) in the semi final.

When you look at ot through the eyes of a supporter in 2020, that first 16 looks very weak. But I reckon a Forest or Liverpool fan in 1980 would have quite fancied that second set.of 16. Spurs were a nothing mid-table side that had won promotion a couple of years earlier, Chelsea were in the 2nd Division, Man City were on a slump that would lead to their relegation in 82/3, Napoli were half decent without ever threatening to win anything, Atalanta were in Serie B, Valencia had just won the Spanish Cup but had done very little else since the war, PSG had never won a thing, Lyon a couple of French Cups but that's it, RB Leipzig didnt exist and Dortmund had been struggling for years etc.

Missed Blackpool out there riffraff, Alan Ball was a Blackpool player when England won the world cup.
Correct. Well spotted. Just testing to see if anyone’s out there. Well done. Carry on. :oops:
When you look at ot through the eyes of a supporter in 2020, that first 16 looks very weak. But I reckon a Forest or Liverpool fan in 1980 would have quite fancied that second set.of 16. Spurs were a nothing mid-table side that had won promotion a couple of years earlier, Chelsea were in the 2nd Division, Man City were on a slump that would lead to their relegation in 82/3, Napoli were half decent without ever threatening to win anything, Atalanta were in Serie B, Valencia had just won the Spanish Cup but had done very little else since the war, PSG had never won a thing, Lyon a couple of French Cups but that's it, RB Leipzig didnt exist and Dortmund had been struggling for years etc.
Top top post.
Agree with every word of that mate.

I wasn’t saying in any shape or form it’s better than back then far from it, as totally agree massively with the points you have made.

Just merely saying it’s obviously more harder to win nowadays somebody said that was a lot of shit, when actually it’s obvious harder to win nowadays and probably is for the reasons you have just explained.
Hhhmmmmmmm. Not so sure.

Last edited:
Similarly in 1980 when Forest played Hamburg, they had Keegan playing for them who was European footballer of the year in 78 and 79, as well as several German internationals and had beaten Real Madrid 5-3 on aggregate (5-1 at home) in the semi final.

And Villa in 1982 - Bayern had Karl Heinz Rumenigge 80 & 81 winner

Was still an easier competition back then but yes, it was harder to qualify for (and rightly so).

Pretty much the point I was trying to make but emphasised much better than I managed!

Correct. Well spotted. Just testing to see if anyone’s out there. Well done. Carry on. :oops:

Top top post.

Hhhmmmmmmm. Not so sure.

Everything at the top level harder to win nowadays for most the reasons you stated in your previous post, especially for clubs with less money.

Forest finished third in Divison two at end of 77, a year later they won the league and the league cup, the following year they won the European Cup and the league cup, the following year the European Cup and reached the final of league cup for the third year running losing in the final, and this was when the top teams took the league cup seriously.

There is zero chance and I mine zero chance of a second tier side now doing what Forest did over the next 3 years in the same way.

Unfortunately money has meant what Forest did is impossible again.

It was a minor miracle what Leicester did in the present time winning the league, and arguably bigger achievement than Forest’s title.

However for them to do what Forest did after winning the league in the following two years would have been impossible for them as simply harder to do that nowadays, a lot harder.

Last edited:
They had Liverpool over for a couple of years and managed to sustain themselves as a top side for many years to come. It was a breath of fresh air at the time and they became everyones favourite second team. Clough was an anti establishment maverick and probably frightened off perceived bigger clubs as well as England through the FA.

Robertson had lost his way career wise, but Clough changed that. He had a great body swerve and needed only half a yard to whip a ball near or far post. Francis came in as a young superstar, but was also quite injury prone. Tony Woodcock was outstanding and could play up top or off the front too. He made a very successful career moving to Germany later on. Not many British players could hack that scenario back then.

Unsung heros were the likes of Colin Barret at full back, David Needham and Kenny Burns at centre halves, whilst Viv Anderson gained a lot of acclaim as an attacking full back that earned him an England call up. McGovern, O'Neil and Bowyer were workman like in midfield. Incredible achievement when you look back.

Shilton, along with Francis, were more like icing on the cake players with cheap signings like Birtles, showing that the scouting network, ie Peter Taylor were incredibly astute. Imagine making your debut up in the European Cup first leg against Liverpool and scoring two goals in a 2-0 win, after playing non league the week before. Years later they unearthed Stan Collymore from Stafford Rangers, who left for Liverpool for a massive profit. His dirty agent returned to Forest to try and claim 10% of the 8m transfer fee. Clough and co told him to sling it. :)

Last edited:
They had Liverpool over for a couple of years and managed to sustain themselves as a top side for many years to come. It was a breath of fresh air at the time and they became everyones favourite second team. Clough was an anti establishment maverick and probably frightened off perceived bigger clubs as well as England through the FA.

Robertson had lost his way career wise, but Clough changed that. He had a great body swerve and needed only half a yard to whip a ball near or far post. Francis came in as a young superstar, but was also quite injury prone. Tony Woodcock was outstanding and could play up top or off the front too. He made a very successful career moving to Germany later on. Not many British players could hack that scenario back then.

Unsung heros were the likes of Colin Barret at full back, David Needham and Kenny Burns at centre halves, whilst Viv Anderson gained a lot of acclaim as an attacking full back that earned him an England call up. McGovern, O'Neil and Bowyer were workman like in midfield. Incredible achievement when you look back.

Shilton, along with Francis, were more like icing on the cake players with cheap signings like Birtles, showing that the scouting network, ie Peter Taylor were incredibly astute. Imagine making your debut up in the European Cup first leg against Liverpool and scoring two goals in a 2-0 win, after playing non league the week before. Years later they unearthed Stan Collymore from Stafford Rangers, who left for Liverpool for a massive profit. His dirty agent returned to Forest to try and claim 10% of the 8m transfer fee. Clough and co told him to sling it. :)
Collymore left Southend to go to Forest. He’d already ripped the piss out of safc at Roker long before he went to Forest.

Barcelona were shite back then as well.

They went a over decade without winning La Liga from the mid-70's.

People forget that they'd never even won the European Cup when Forest and Liverpool were winning it.

Collymore left Southend to go to Forest. He’d already ripped the piss out of safc at Roker long before he went to Forest.

Yeah you're right, must have gone to Southend from Stafford ? Do you remember when Southend had the admiral kit that was blue with red n white sleeve trim. Basically identical to England style home and away, white and red

Yeah you're right, must have gone to Southend from Stafford ? Do you remember when Southend had the admiral kit that was blue with red n white sleeve trim. Basically identical to England style home and away, white and red
Stafford to Crystal Palace to Southend, but he was always behind Wright and Bright in the pecking order at Palace

Everything at the top level harder to win nowadays for most the reasons you stated in your previous post, especially for clubs with less money.

Forest finished third in Divison two at end of 77, a year later they won the league and the league cup, the following year they won the European Cup and the league cup, the following year the European Cup and reached the final of league cup for the third year running losing in the final, and this was when the top teams took the league cup seriously.

There is zero chance and I mine zero chance of a second tier side now doing what Forest did over the next 3 years in the same way.

Unfortunately money has meant what Forest did is impossible again.

It was a minor miracle what Leicester did in the present time winning the league, and arguably bigger achievement than Forest’s title.

However for them to do what Forest did after winning the league in the following two years would have been impossible for them as simply harder to do that nowadays, a lot harder.
This. Whatever the format to go from the second division to achieve this in the time they did is phenomenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back