Nottingham forest glory years

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
When people talk about the greatest players in that era the likes of Dalglish, Keegan, Shilton, Souness, Rush, Robson, Barnes etc but I dont think Robertson gets talked about in the same way. Absolute genius. Scored a brilliant goal to win one European Cup, did a brilliant assist to win another European cup and almost every goal they scored he seemed to assist or score. He was world class for a period IMO.

I can’t see your logic that the title winners in Sweden, Austria and Switzerland would be more difficult to beat than second placed teams in Spain,Italy and England.

Of course it’s much harder to win nowadays.

Whether it should be called the Champions League is a different matter.

The logic is that the second placed teams in those countries werent given the opportunity to win it. So its harder to win if you cant play in it. To win European Cup Notts Forest had to finish in one position only. First. Not second. Not third. Not fourth. So how does that make it harder rather than easier?

As Clough famously said of himself:
"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."
Some people laughed at his arrogance, others disliked it greatly. But he was a fantastic character to have in the game and he did the business, winning the League title and European Cup more than once.
I remember how disappointed I was as a youngster when he signed Colin Todd from us, still one of the best defenders I've seen play for Sunderland.
The Teddy Sheringham one was class:
“Gaffer, is there any chance of any more complimentaries for my family for the Liverpool game?”

“Teddy, if your own family won’t pay to come and watch you what Fckin chance have we got?”

I too am too young to remember but I’ve always been fascinated by Brian Clough so have read tonnes of books about that period. Viv Anderson man, what a player.

Must have been great to be a football fan back then when you seen provincial clubs like Forest rise from the 2nd Division to European powerhouse within a few years. You could dream that one day your club would follow suit.

Alas those days are gone.

What Forest did was an exception that had no precedent either before or after. With Brian Clough as manager. That not a dream its a fantasy. And Leicester showed recently it is possible to come up and win Premier title in quick succession.

Imo the best player for Forest in those years was Peter Shilton, he made the difference.
When people talk about the greatest players in that era the likes of Dalglish, Keegan, Shilton, Souness, Rush, Robson, Barnes etc but I dont think Robertson gets talked about in the same way. Absolute genius. Scored a brilliant goal to win one European Cup, did a brilliant assist to win another European cup and almost every goal they scored he seemed to assist or score. He was world class for a period IMO.

Yes every thing went through him which was and is rare for a winger, it would normally be a central player.

Last edited:
What Forest did was an exception that had no precedent either before or after. With Brian Clough as manager. That not a dream its a fantasy. And Leicester showed recently it is possible to come up and win Premier title in quick succession.

Well you’re wrong.

Clough brought Derby out of nowhere to be champions a decade or so earlier. Not long before that Don Revie turned Leeds into a powerhouse. Alf Ramsey with Ipswich etc...

Well you’re wrong.

Clough brought Derby out of nowhere to be champions a decade or so earlier. Not long before that Don Revie turned Leeds into a powerhouse. Alf Ramsey with Ipswich etc...

No is not wrong!

Unless I missed Derby, Ipswich and Leeds win back to back European cups!

Plus Clough winning the league with Derby was five or six years before winning with Forest not a decade earlier!

What Forest did in them 3 years been promoted from the second tier in third place to win the league the very next year and then the next two years the biggest club competition in the world had never been done before and will never been done again.

So I would say he is right!

Last edited:
No is not wrong!

Unless I missed Derby, Ipswich and Leeds win back to back European cups!

Plus Clough winning the league with Derby was five or six years before winning with Forest not a decade earlier!

What Forest did in them 3 years been promoted from the second tier in third place to win the league the very next year and then the next two years the biggest club competition in the world had never been done before and will never been done again.

So I would say he is right!

So Alf Ramsey didn’t get Ipswich promoted and then immediately win the top flight the next season then. Ah right the history books must be wrong and you and your Mag friend must be right.

So Alf Ramsey didn’t get Ipswich promoted and then immediately win the top flight the next season then. Ah right the history books must be wrong and you and your Mag friend must be right.

Not sure where Mag comes from and whether any need for that!

But never mind back to the matter in hand.

The reason Forest’s achievements were the exception and no other precedent
surely was the fact they won the league and the European cup twice all in just 3 years!

And nobody has done that before or after?

Not sure how you can argue otherwise tbh

Last edited:
Not sure where Mag comes from and whether any need for that!

But never mind back to the matter in hand.

The reason Forest’s achievements were the exception surely was the fact they won the league and the European cup twice all in just 3 years!

And nobody has done that before or after?

That Benjamin fella is a Mag.

Or right was totally unaware of that!

He is still right though?

I disagree, I think Clough’s achievements with Derby, Revie’s with Leeds and prior to that Ramsey’s with Ipswich are all just as impressive. Sir Bobby is another one who built Ipswich into a world class outfit from nothing, just a shame he didn’t win the league.

I disagree, I think Clough’s achievements with Derby, Revie’s with Leeds and prior to that Ramsey’s with Ipswich are all just as impressive. Sir Bobby is another one who built Ipswich into a world class outfit from nothing, just a shame he didn’t win the league.

Ramsey winning title with Ipswich was phenomenal. No doubt about that. His record just not as phenomenal as Clough. Ramseys Ipswich were out of European Cup before he left for England & also doing poorly in League-they finished 17 year after title win. By contrast Clough finished second & won European Cup year after Forest title win. Revie of course never won European Cup & his two titles with Leeds only match those Clough won.

Ramsey winning title with Ipswich was phenomenal. No doubt about that. His record just not as phenomenal as Clough. Ramseys Ipswich were out of European Cup before he left for England & also doing poorly in League-they finished 17 year after title win. By contrast Clough finished second & won European Cup year after Forest title win. Revie of course never won European Cup & his two titles with Leeds only match those Clough won.

Not forgetting that as well as the title in 78 and European cups in 79 and 80, Forest during those three years got to the League cup final in 78,79 and 80! winning it in 78 and 79 at a time when clubs took it very seriously.

Them three years were simply phenomenal after finishing third in Division two in 77.

Revie imo also had better players to choose from than Clough did.

I often wonder if the East Midlands football wise in the 1970s could've been the North East, substitute Derby and Notts Forest with Newcastle and Sunderland, Boro could've been Leicester :lol: instead all the big 3 clubs up here had chairmen lacking real ambition and tight as ducks arses. A lot of potential came to nothing.

I often wonder if the East Midlands football wise in the 1970s could've been the North East, substitute Derby and Notts Forest with Newcastle and Sunderland, Boro could've been Leicester :lol: instead all the big 3 clubs up here had chairmen lacking real ambition and tight as ducks arses. A lot of potential came to nothing.
So Boro would have ended up Top Dogs then😁

Well you’re wrong.

But those teams didn't win the European cup and Leeds were never the same team after we beat them
Apart from winning league in 1974
Not forgetting that as well as the title in 78 and European cups in 79 and 80, Forest during those three years got to the League cup final in 78,79 and 80! winning it in 78 and 79 at a time when clubs took it very seriously.

Them three years were simply phenomenal after finishing third in Division two in 77.

Revie imo also had better players to choose from than Clough did.
Only team to win the European cup more times than they have won their league

Last edited:
Trevor Francis was out injured for the second final as well. The team was pretty much down to the bare bones, and their tactics against Hamburg had to become defensive because of it. Even Peter Shilton played injured if I remember rightly.

It's never mentioned that Forest beat Barcelona in the Super Cup and the whole side were applauded from the stadium and into their team coach by the locals.

1 promotion
1 Anglo-Scottish Cup
1 League Championship
1 Charity Shield
1 European Super Cup
2 League Cups
2 European Cups

Not bad work in five years. Particularly the Anglo-Scottish triumph.

The logic is that the second placed teams in those countries werent given the opportunity to win it. So its harder to win if you cant play in it. To win European Cup Notts Forest had to finish in one position only. First. Not second. Not third. Not fourth. So how does that make it harder rather than easier?

Its harder to win it now like. You could get a favourable draw and barely have to beat anyone. Forests hardest game was their first round against Liverpool in 79z They then beat athens, grasshoppers Köln and malmo to win it.

Back