Nottingham forest glory years

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Wasn't it alluded to in The Damned United, albeit it's a factional account of his time at Leeds.

Did he live over near the Pennywell Inn? The name Burrell rings a bell.

I had a Liverpool away one that they wore in the 77 FA Cup Final. Canny top tbf.
He lived in Prestbury Road, he's house looked on to Presthope. He had a few slightly older sisters closer to your age, Janice and Karen if I remember correctly.

Forest pipped us to promotion in 1976/77 by a single point.

We needed to beat Wolves who went up as champions in our final home game to win promotion.

Needless to say we managed to f**k it up.

Forest's season had already finished and they found out that they'd been promoted while they were on the way back from their post season break in Majorca!

European Cup was a bit easier to win back then with a kind draw tbf.

Liverpool were consistently good for 2 decades and re-invented teams seamlessly when the life cycle of one was coming to an end. Forest had a couple of years fighting for the league title then just seemed to win the League Cup every other year.

Robertson was inconsistent. For every good game he had a couple of crap ones. Smoked 40 tabs a day or summat anarl.

Forest have still been champions of Europe more times than all the big London clubs combined though.
Forest were still a good team for over a decade after winning the European Cup. Constantly in the top half of the league playing attractive football.

Wasn't even born in the late 70s when they won the league and 2 European cups and various other trophys so have a lot of questions for our older posters after watching the documentary I believe in miracles

1) it was interesting to note when Clough took over Forest they were mid table in the second division.... Sunderland were 2nd to a little team by the name of Manchester United. But my question was why would Clough join a mid table 2nd division team when he had just left a huge team in Leeds and had won the title with Derby via brighton.... I can only think he was still living in the Midlands but surely most top clubs would have been after him.

2) Who were actually a better team in the late 70s Liverpool or Forest? Both had amazing teams but the Liverpool players are still more household names.

3) Give me a rundown of some forest players... I can't believe Ian bowyer didn't get an England cap and Larry Lloyd only got 4 as they feature heavily on the documentary.

Every forest player talks about John Robertson as being one of the best wingers in the world was he really that good. Clough called him Picasso and John mcgovern said he was superior to Ryan Giggs

Who else in the team stood out.

4) I hear about Clough taking little forest to 2 European cups with little money and a team of journeyman... But that isn't true is it.... He signed England's top goalkeeper in Shilton and paid double the British Transfer Record to buy Trevor Francis.... Still a great achievement nevertheless.
Liverpool were consistently good for twenty years. In reality, Forest had two exceptionally good seasons.

Don't agree with that like :lol: I mean wingers are dependent on others to some degree but in that 3 or 4 year period he had more assists than anyone. I doubt there was a player around that was involved in a higher percentage of his teams goals than Robertson. He was a fantastic player.

With regards to wining it being easier I would agree however England were all dominant at the time and Forest not only won the league to qualify they beat Liverpool over two legs and Hamburg who were as good as anyone in the final.
I thought Robinson was a cracking player. Would beat his man with pure close control and pace and could deliver an inch perfect cross even from the byline with a defender no more than a foot away.

Forest went on a fantastic record breaking unbeaten run their defence was superb Viv Anderson and Shilts especially. Woodcock was class up front too.

Last edited:
I remember how disappointed I was as a youngster when he signed Colin Todd from us, still one of the best defenders I've seen play for Sunderland.
I was walking home from school one lunchtime and a bloke walking towards me was crying. I'd never seen a bloke crying before and he suddenly seen me looking at him, he just looked at me and said "They've sold Toddo" he then just walked off crying. It must have affected me because I remember exactly where I was when he said it and it must be about 50 years ago now.

Except there weren't really any 'kind' draws.

Every team in it were the champions of their country or the holder of the trophy.

It was easier then than now.

Often, the UEFA Cup was the harder - An extra round and usually, the up and coming teams of the previous season were topping their respective leagues whilst playing in the UEFA Cup whereas the teams who had won the league the previous season had peaked and were already on the decline.

Not always the case but was often the case. This has been shown many times over the past 25 years or so when winners of the Champions League weren't actually champions of their domestic leagues.

It was easier then than now.

Often, the UEFA Cup was the harder - An extra round and usually, the up and coming teams of the previous season were topping their respective leagues whilst playing in the UEFA Cup whereas the teams who had won the league the previous season had peaked and were already on the decline.

Not always the case but was often the case. This has been shown many times over the past 25 years or so when winners of the Champions League weren't actually champions of their domestic leagues.

It wasn't easier otherwise the bigger teams would have won it every year.

Back