Nottingham forest glory years

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Its harder to win it now like. You could get a favourable draw and barely have to beat anyone. Forests hardest game was their first round against Liverpool in 79z They then beat athens, grasshoppers Köln and malmo to win it.

When folk say things like that it really makes me wonder if they know anything about football.

Clough was at his best when spotting a bargain and making a silk purse out of a pigs ear. He bought Garry Birtles for£2000 and turned him into an international worth £1.5m
If only we’d taken a punt in 1979
You mean his partner was the best in the business at spotting talent like Birtles surely ?!

He had two consecutive failures at Brighton and Leeds, after he left Derby in acrimonious circumstances.
Maybe he was seen as damaged goods, but also in those days clubs tended to show a lot more loyalty to managers and so wouldn’t be looking to hire as often.
At that stage, the legend that was Brian Clough, wasn’t anything like what it became .
Some clubs, including us, had directors that were scared off by his personality and reputation.
Clough was at his best when spotting a bargain and making a silk purse out of a pigs ear. He bought Garry Birtles for£2000 and turned him into an international worth £1.5m
If only we’d taken a punt in 1979
I remember the fans action group from that time, (S.C.R.A.T.C.H) which briefly campaigned, (and sadly failed) to bring Clough & Taylor to Sunderland, back in the '70's.
I've still got a SCRATCH campaign badge somewhere in the house, which I wore when standing in the Fulwell, back then.
I cannot remember entirely what the acronym SCRATCH stood for, but the ending was Taylor, Clough, Here.
The beginning was possibly, Supporters Campaign Roker Action ?
Somebody on here, once posted the meaning of the SCRATCH acronym, though I cannot remember who that poster was.

Artistic licence.

Absolute shite as well

There least 3 great documentaries on Brian clough that are miles better than tat trugid crap
There are several brilliant resources to learn all about Clough.

The Pat Murphy biography, the Peter Taylor book With Clough, The Damned United, Bloody Southerners, to name but a few.

Take your time, it is a rich tale. The Jonathan Wilson book is very good - Nobody ever says Thank You.

With Clough, his upbringing, his time at Boro, his poor treatment by the Safc board and the joyride car crash of the Derby/Leeds years are all riveting, at times, sensational real life stuff.

Enjoy.

The damned united should be avoided by all true clough fans even the author himself states it's a work of fiction

There's 3 videos on YouTube on the great man you can study

The greatest manager England never had
Brian clough story
I believe in Miracles

Even the clough family detest The damned united so how you can say it's a brilliant source is beyond me

Last edited:
The Damned United is fictitious crap; the book deeply upset the Clough family.
For that reason alone, it's best avoided.
Something that hasn't been mentioned on this thread so far is also very significant.
In 1975 when Clough was appointed, Forest was the only club in England without a board of directors. It was run by a committee headed by Chairman Jim Wilmer. The money to rebuild the Forest squad started by Clough immediately in '75 and reinforced by Taylor arriving in '76 was largely raised by bank borrowing. The committee were so shit scared of the pair upping sticks as they had at Derby that they were given more or less carte blanche on transfers with virtually no interference.
Must have made the rebuild much easier.

Last edited:
Absolute shite as well

There least 3 great documentaries on Brian clough that are miles better than tat trugid crap

The damned united should be avoided by all true clough fans even the author himself states it's a work of fiction

There's 3 videos on YouTube on the great man you can study

The greatest manager England never had
Brian clough story
I believe in Miracles

Even the clough family detest The damned united so how you can say it's a brilliant source is beyond me

I believe in miracles a great watch.

When folk say things like that it really makes me wonder if they know anything about football.

I think you don’t know much about football mate

the following year to get to the semi final forest beat the mighty Oster, then Arges Pitesti, then BFC Dynamo before a semi final against Ajax before beating Hamburg on the final. 5 games to win it! And look at some of the teams man.

I know you can afford to lose games now in the group stage but the quality is miles better. Spurs last year had a group of Barcelona inter Milan and PSV So had to play home and away against those then had to beat Dortmund, Man City and Ajax to get to a final against liverpool

seems more difficult to me

the following year to get to the semi final forest beat the mighty Oster, then Arges Pitesti, then BFC Dynamo before a semi final against Ajax before beating Hamburg on the final. 5 games to win it! And look at some of the teams man.

I know you can afford to lose games now in the group stage but the quality is miles better. Spurs last year had a group of Barcelona inter Milan and PSV So had to play home and away against those then had to beat Dortmund, Man City and Ajax to get to a final against liverpool

Totally agree mate, no bigger fan of Clough than me, but of course it’s harder to win nowadays.

You've conveniently ignored the fact that the 'group stage' back then was the previous season's league championship.

Forest had to win the league to qualify for their first European Cup campaign.

They then had to actually win the trophy just to qualify for the following season's competition.

That's before you even start talking about some of the teams you've dismissed which suggests you don't really know how good they were.

A remarkable achievement no matter which era we’re talking. We’re talking doing what Leicester did, winning the champs league then retaining it.
Even if he’d not had that level of success here we’d be a different club today. He’d certainly have had some degree of success
Totally agree mate. Whether people liked him or not and a lot didn’t his record was absolutely excellent. Read all his books and Peter Taylor’s and all good reads. Remember in the late seventies/early eighties I think it was he was rumoured to be coming to us but never happened. I always remember 74/75 season he went to Forest in the second division and the first thing I did was check the second division league table to see how many points they were behind Sunderland.

For an English side to win the European Cup back then they:

a) Had to win the the strongest league in Europe over 42 games. 2nd, 3rd or fourth was no good. Forest would have had to have been better than Liverpool, Ipswich, Villa, Man U etc just to have a chance of winning it.

b) They then had to win the knockout tournament which would have some weak side in but they wouldn't even have that opportunity if they didn't beat the best of the best.

Of course if you only consider b) then the tournament these days is stronger but the achievement of winning the trophy you had to do a) and b) which IMO makes it more difficult (or at least as difficult) as it is now.

That was Taylor's department.
By his own admission "He was the front window, and Taylor was the goods in the back".
Did the hard yards on wet Tuesday nights; none of this taking players on the strength of video sent in by agents.
As you say, if only we had; I have no doubt he would have taken us to great things. :cry:

Replaced by "the best league in the world"!! :lol::lol::(

I found an interview on iPlayer David Frost talking to Clough. He was out of work after the Leeds debacle but said he had received a couple of offers but the time wasn’t right.

It could well have gone pear shaped had he taken another job without Taylor. I suspect Forest being close to where he lived was part of attraction (he talked about being able to spend more time with his family and he was enjoying it) plus he must have thought he could work with the chairman.

Worth a watch if anyone has a spare half hour.

I found an interview on iPlayer David Frost talking to Clough. He was out of work after the Leeds debacle but said he had received a couple of offers but the time wasn’t right.

It could well have gone pear shaped had he taken another job without Taylor. I suspect Forest being close to where he lived was part of attraction (he talked about being able to spend more time with his family and he was enjoying it) plus he must have thought he could work with the chairman.

Worth a watch if anyone has a spare half hour.

I think all of that plus the opportunity to rub the derby chairman’s nose in it. Longson was it?

That was a great time and one we probably won`t see again. Seeing those European Cup Finals live on the telly when there was very little live football on at that time, was so exciting. Clough was such a massive character. Just wish he`d managed us at some point.

Back