Nottingham forest glory years

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

My dad tells me stories about Nottingham Forest and his European away day’s following them. Would love to see the lads in Europe in my life time. When I say lads obviously mean SAFC

I went to uni in Notts and lived behind the ground in my second year, always look for their results with fondness.
My old man brought me a season ticket for about 3 maybe 4 years but could never get interested. It was when they were a yo yo club, when Pierre Van Hjdonk played if that’s how you spell it. I was only young. Still keep an eye on the results for him though.

My old man brought me a season ticket for about 3 maybe 4 years but could never get interested. It was when they were a yo yo club, when Pierre Van Hjdonk played if that’s how you spell it. I was only young. Still keep an eye on the results for him though.

I’m talking 05-08, so they weren’t good then by any stretch, wasn’t the same as the lads but a match day was the fix I needed.

It could well have gone pear shaped had he taken another job without Taylor.

He originally took the Forest job without Taylor.

Taylor was still managing Brighton during the first season and a half that Clough was at Forest.

It was only in the third full season when Taylor joined him that they were eventually promoted.

He originally took the Forest job without Taylor.

Taylor was still managing Brighton during the first season and a half that Clough was at Forest.

It was only in the third full season when Taylor joined him that they were eventually promoted.

I stand corrected but interesting they weren’t promoted until Taylor became involved.

It’s a bit strange as growing up in the 80’s they were always one of the top clubs. Albeit in the later 80’s a bit like spurs and more a cup team but still... now they’re just another perennial championship team. Still get solid attendances I see.. Leeds another one. Years and years outside of the premier league for a really good size club

Except there weren't really any 'kind' draws.

Every team in it were the champions of their country or the holder of the trophy.
It is easier to win it now I think , anything seeded has to favour the big guns, In the 70s, As in any cup you could be lucky and get easy draws like playing the champions of Iceland or you could draw Barcelona in the first round , as Liverpool found out when paired with Forest in round 2 in 1978. Nowadays , even if the champions of Iceland beat Liverpool , the group system means that the big club would probably still go through. In the 70s there was always the chance the minnows could get a surprise win in the first leg , then defend for their lives in the second leg and go through. These days the group stages are more or less a foregone conclusion , and only gets competitive when it goes down to knockout stages, that's why I have lost interest in it

Last edited:
I often wonder if the East Midlands football wise in the 1970s could've been the North East, substitute Derby and Notts Forest with Newcastle and Sunderland, Boro could've been Leicester :lol: instead all the big 3 clubs up here had chairmen lacking real ambition and tight as ducks arses. A lot of potential came to nothing.

The logic is that the second placed teams in those countries werent given the opportunity to win it. So its harder to win if you cant play in it. To win European Cup Notts Forest had to finish in one position only. First. Not second. Not third. Not fourth. So how does that make it harder rather than easier?
Nottm Forest.

Notts County.

Last edited:
I’m talking 05-08, so they weren’t good then by any stretch, wasn’t the same as the lads but a match day was the fix I needed.

I went to Uni there from 1980 to 1984 but never liked them (though I did before I moved there)

The crowd moaned a lot despite the success and I enjoyed going to watch the Pies over the river a lot more.

I lived off Radcliffe Rd and it was great going back to the Lady Bay for a few beers before our win there in our relegation season.

I went to Uni there from 1980 to 1984 but never liked them (though I did before I moved there)

The crowd moaned a lot despite the success and I enjoyed going to watch the Pies over the river a lot more.

I lived off Radcliffe Rd and it was great going back to the Lady Bay for a few beers before our win there in our relegation season.

I had a cracking day then too, I had been back down for years. We were in the boat club not far from the ground, still not sure how we won that game!

I had a cracking day then too, I had been back down for years. We were in the boat club not far from the ground, still not sure how we won that game!

I'd only been back once. I lived in West Bridgford for my first 2 years (which has got posher in the near 40 years since) and Sherwood for my last (which has got worse).

I started going to Sheff United most weeks in my second year... at the time I wasn't that bothered about the city but thought when I went back I could have lived there.

I still don't like the accent

Back