North east gig turnouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the purposes of this thread and given you’re a lad from Stanley (have i got this right) how will you get home?
Fuck knows how will get home ,dont worry about that till the time comes ,lifes for living not wondering how to get home ,aye Taxi to Stanley

I Don’t for one minute think there’s anything wrong with Sunderland at all. Ive always wondered why Sunderland is compared. Sunderland has stuff Newcastle can’t offer and vice versa.

once this new arena is built bands will choose Gateshead over Newcastle.

I think people who post on these boards get hung up a bit on how bad the tribalism is between the two cities. You’ve said yourself you work in Newcastle so you must know nobody really gives a fuck through here. I was out Friday and it was obvious we were supporting Sunderland. I’ve watched mag games in the town and people knew I was Sunderland. Nobody cares man.
Agree, but still think Sunderland as a place to go generally is a bit off their radar. And obviously this doesn't apply to everyone and some of it is just banter of course but some do seem to have an in-built reluctance to come to Sunderland.

I really like it, the stairs and "balcony" give places to lurk when you don't want to be in the middle of the floor but still close to the front. Easy to drive to and park at, though it is a total pain for public transport if you want a drink.

yeah in its defence parking is free and easy if I ever take the car.
great beers on also.

EDIT. Alex Cameron and Wolfgang Flur were great there.
Alex Cameron is another one who sacked off the obligatory NE date on his last tour. Had to go down to the Brudenell in Leeds for it.

Can't be fucked with the chew on getting to and from cluny gigs for the sake of having a few bevvies. Just take the car now and park thirty seconds away. Not having a sup is a bit of a shame, but being able to be back in the house in under half an hour as opposed to f***ing on for hours metroing then getting home from the town at daft o clock on a school night makes it worth the sacrifice.

Agree, but still think Sunderland as a place to go generally is a bit off their radar. And obviously this doesn't apply to everyone and some of it is just banter of course but some do seem to have an in-built reluctance to come to Sunderland.

Its been the same for years in Sunderland..where would a decent up and coming band play??..used to be ok when Wearmouth Hall (the poly) put gigs on..the Empire had its moments but other than that its been poor..hopefully this new place will change things.

Do you seriously believe this shite you spout? “It’s grim” Where the fuck do you live and who is putting the brakes on your life?

I love my job and my social life is great. Apart from weather and wildlife i can’t really see how I miss out on life.
Well firstly I live in the north making me qualified to comment on it. And no one is putting the brakes on my life.....but since you ask. Look at the discontent in the north east in the way people voted during the independence referendum. Mostly the north east voted to leave because disillusionment in the political system, not being listened to, mass unemployment.
Look at the over use of food banks or the amount of deindustrialised left-behind towns in the north east. High street shops shutting at an alarming rate, A disproportionate amount of people on universal credit...People not having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. And when people felt so ignored they felt it was right to vote for the tories who ultimately couldn't give a fuck about the north east.
So yes I stand by my comment....it is grim up north

Alex Cameron is another one who sacked off the obligatory NE date on his last tour. Had to go down to the Brudenell in Leeds for it.

Can't be fucked with the chew on getting to and from cluny gigs for the sake of having a few bevvies. Just take the car now and park thirty seconds away. Not having a sup is a bit of a shame, but being able to be back in the house in under half an hour as opposed to f***ing on for hours metroing then getting home from the town at daft o clock on a school night makes it worth the sacrifice.

Alex Cameron pulled a good crowd at cluny so maybe it was attendance related he didn’t come back on last tour.
i most often take car for same reasons aswel

I agree. I’ve probably been to the cluny more than any other venue and I’ve never been to a gig there where I’ve been completely blown away, and that’s down to venue.
I much prefer cluny2 next door.

EDIT. Alex Cameron and Wolfgang Flur were great there.

Always preferred the Cluny 2. Even that is a slightly odd set up though with those seats. If you get a poorly attended gig there and most sit in the seats it's very very...weird. Awkward for the band.

Always preferred the Cluny 2. Even that is a slightly odd set up though with those seats. If you get a poorly attended gig there and most sit in the seats it's very very...weird. Awkward for the band.

both times I’ve been they’ve had the stage in different place.
liminanas was facing seats and gnomes with seats on left.
Thankfully both had a canny crowd (surprisingly! )

That's me these days and to be honest I'm at the bog non stop with drink in me
Car ,couple of bottles ,band ,home
It is a countrywide issue. Poor turnouts for bands that haven't reached a certain level of attention in the wider media aren't just a Sunderland / Newcastle thing. Admittedly, it's worse in Sunderland than other places but as I said, they don't get the best tours in the first instance and therefore the opportunity to foster a gig-going community. It's a catch 22.
I'm talking people like Peter Gabriel among others ,promoters aren't stupid
They know where to pitch bands on where they're at
I'm talking Newcastle really ,Sunderland unfortunately isn't even worth discussing
Before I'm going to gigs I'm following the tour and the photos etc on Facebook and stuff and it's chocker then turn up to half empty gigs .The artists comment too .
Well firstly I live in the north making me qualified to comment on it. And no one is putting the brakes on my life.....but since you ask. Look at the discontent in the north east in the way people voted during the independence referendum. Mostly the north east voted to leave because disillusionment in the political system, not being listened to, mass unemployment.
Look at the over use of food banks or the amount of deindustrialised left-behind towns in the north east. High street shops shutting at an alarming rate, A disproportionate amount of people on universal credit...People not having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. And when people felt so ignored they felt it was right to vote for the tories who ultimately couldn't give a fuck about the north east.
Non of that is exclusive to the north
Talk about glass half empty
It's a great part of the world
I'm 57 and lived through all the trauma you speak of and survived ,not only that I've been fully employed and had a great time .

Last edited:
That's me these days and to be honest I'm at the bog non stop with drink in me
Car ,couple of bottles ,band ,home

I'm talking people like Peter Gabriel among others ,promoters aren't stupid
They know where to pitch bands on where they're at
I'm talking Newcastle really ,Sunderland unfortunately isn't even worth discussing
Before I'm going to gigs I'm following the tour and the photos etc on Facebook and stuff and it's chocker then turn up to half empty gigs .The artists comment too .

Non of that is exclusive to the north
Talk about glass half empty
It's a great part of the world
I'm 57 and lived through all the trauma you speak of and survived ,not only that I've been fully employed and had a great time .

Lucky you

I get what you are saying but I love it up here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I used to travel all over with work but always loved coming back. I may be lucky but I love living in the NE - it has given me everything I want and need.

Often read comments about " why aren't they doing Newcastle " or the north east when dates are announced
Because it's promoters night mare
Half sold gigs by people who sell out places elsewhere .Going to see Milk carton kids on Wednesday
They've just put a video up saying everywhere nearly sold out but plenty left in Newcastle
Saw Adrian belew at the sage ,45 people if that
Peter Gabriel at the arena ,half the place curtained off
Rival sons playing Sunderland to a couple of bus fulls
Nowt to do with who likes what ,that's why they give us a miss

Too big a venue Peter Gabriel at the arena, never heard of the rest.

Too big a venue Peter Gabriel at the arena, never heard of the rest.
That's why this area undersells
Gabriel does fine all over the globe in big venues .I'll say again its not about why people don't like certain bands its about bombing in this area when other areas sell .I tend to do 2 or 3 shows for Gabriel from London 02 to Manchester etc and last two tours Newcastle has been half full

That's why this area undersells
Gabriel does fine all over the globe in big venues .I'll say again its not about why people don't like certain bands its about bombing in this area when other areas sell .I tend to do 2 or 3 shows for Gabriel from London 02 to Manchester etc and last two tours Newcastle has been half full

Supply and demand.
People go from all over the place to the venues you mentioned to sell them out.

It’s not a surprise to me why they don’t, I cannot imagine a lot travel far to come here.

You've just described many parts of the country. If I lived anywhere else in the country with the same job I do now I'd be demonstrably worse off. The north is topper imo.

You could be talking about anywhere in the country. You’re so miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back