North east gig turnouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZMANB

Striker
Often read comments about " why aren't they doing Newcastle " or the north east when dates are announced
Because it's promoters night mare
Half sold gigs by people who sell out places elsewhere .Going to see Milk carton kids on Wednesday
They've just put a video up saying everywhere nearly sold out but plenty left in Newcastle
Saw Adrian belew at the sage ,45 people if that
Peter Gabriel at the arena ,half the place curtained off
Rival sons playing Sunderland to a couple of bus fulls
Nowt to do with who likes what ,that's why they give us a miss

I saw the Districts, the Orwells (before their self inflicted demise) and Lee Bains at the Cluny all in a week - all, at the time, decent sized bands and all poorly attended. Really good gigs but I couldn't help feel that the Cluny, which isn't big, should have been full. I think you are correct.

I saw the Districts, the Orwells (before their self inflicted demise) and Lee Bains at the Cluny all in a week - all, at the time, decent sized bands and all poorly attended. Really good gigs but I couldn't help feel that the Cluny, which isn't big, should have been full. I think you are correct.
I saw Fontaines DC at Newcastle Academy the other week and it was absolutely rammed

I saw Fontaines DC at Newcastle Academy the other week and it was absolutely rammed
Well, they are one of the most hyped bands of the moment so hardly surprising. That is not the point. Obviously there are bands who will sell out the Academy but there are also plenty of decent sized bands who come here and get surprisingly poor turnouts.

Saw the Little Comets at the Cluny. It was cram packed and it was guest list only. They were fantastic like.

I've been to some shockingly attended gigs in Newcastle like. International, acclaimed groups with less people there than i see in the local on a weekend turning out for a tina turner tribute or summat

Often read comments about " why aren't they doing Newcastle " or the north east when dates are announced
Because it's promoters night mare
Half sold gigs by people who sell out places elsewhere .Going to see Milk carton kids on Wednesday
They've just put a video up saying everywhere nearly sold out but plenty left in Newcastle
Saw Adrian belew at the sage ,45 people if that
Peter Gabriel at the arena ,half the place curtained off
Rival sons playing Sunderland to a couple of bus fulls
Nowt to do with who likes what ,that's why they give us a miss

I've recently seen..Buzzcocks at the Cluny..SLF at Newcastle 02..Adam Ant at the Sage..great attendances at them all..maybe you just need to go and see some good bands.

I'm not sure of the sizes of the current venues but my gut feeling is that is where the difficulty may be. In the old days with the City Hall, Mayfair and Riverside in Newcastle you had two venues which were the ideal size for established bands along with a venue for up and coming bands.
The Arena in Newcastle is just a shed and I don't know why any band would play there.

Reactions: dom
Definitely noticed smaller crowds at gigs I've been going to than a few years ago.
Might be just that people round here are moving away from indie back to more mainstream. Boring bastards. Seems less publicity for gigs these days as well though.

I’ve noticed exactly the same. I went to see a Canadian singer songwriter I’ve liked for a while at the cluny and there was literally 12 ppl there, was embarrassing for the bloke.

I’ve noticed exactly the same. I went to see a Canadian singer songwriter I’ve liked for a while at the cluny and there was literally 12 ppl there, was embarrassing for the bloke.

The Cluny's a shit place to get to like..i saw the Buzzcocks there before Xmas..why the fk it couldn't have been somewhere in Newcastle City centre for the Metro and the parking.

Reactions: NGS
It’s pretty shocking for a lot of up and coming and lesser known bands. The ones who will be usually be touring in venues that are under 1k capacity. I put on the gig thread that I went to see TOY at Independent at the weekend and there was only about 50 people there.

Most of the bands in that bracket usually prefer to play down Stockton, Middlesbrough. Much better crowd down there.

Despite my misgivings, it looks like we're in for a decent crowd at Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs at the Independent tonight.

Pleasantly surprised tbh.

The Cluny's a shit place to get to like..i saw the Buzzcocks there before Xmas..why the fk it couldn't have been somewhere in Newcastle City centre for the Metro and the parking.
Yes I’ve given up on the Cluny. Terrible fk on using public transport, bus then 2 metros both ways, miss a connection ur talking 40 notes taxi.
missed the end of the last 2 gigs to try and get back, it’s just not worth the hassle.
Shame as it’s a brilliant venue.

Yes I’ve given up on the Cluny. Terrible fk on using public transport, bus then 2 metros both ways, miss a connection ur talking 40 notes taxi.
missed the end of the last 2 gigs to try and get back, it’s just not worth the hassle.
Shame as it’s a brilliant venue.

Agreed..I've only been the once but I took my car because when I went through for my ticket I soon realised it was in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back