North east gig turnouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supply and demand.
People go from all over the place to the venues you mentioned to sell them out.

It’s not a surprise to me why they don’t, I cannot imagine a lot travel far to come here.
To Newcastle ? yet bother to go to Glasgow or Leeds etc ?

The Milk carton kids were class ,great banter between songs which is odd with a serious folk harmony duo ."We hate Sunderland " was acceptable as they didn't have a clue where they were etc

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but I love it up here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I used to travel all over with work but always loved coming back. I may be lucky but I love living in the NE - it has given me everything I want and need.
I wouldn't be anywhere else. It is where I feel most at home. Also it has everything I need.

To Newcastle ? yet bother to go to Glasgow or Leeds etc ?

Yep, Glasgow all the jocks, Leeds far easier than Newcastle for Englanders.

The Milk carton kids were class ,great banter between songs which is odd with a serious folk harmony duo ."We hate Sunderland " was acceptable as they didn't have a clue where they were etc

I wonder if it's not in our culture as much as other parts of the UK.

I lived in Sheffield for a while and couldn't believe how many music venues there were. Not sure how they sold mind.

Music seems to be more of a cultural thing in the NW (Liverpool, Manchester). That maybe the Irish influence.

We don't really produce the musicians the NW does.

I wonder if it's not in our culture as much as other parts of the UK.

I lived in Sheffield for a while and couldn't believe how many music venues there were. Not sure how they sold mind.

Music seems to be more of a cultural thing in the NW (Liverpool, Manchester). That maybe the Irish influence.

We don't really produce the musicians the NW does.
I think you're right,clearly we can't be arsed be per capita than other areas

Loads of big bands rarely play the north east, radiohead was 2003 and I think Muse was 2006.

I guess with it been in February we are getting no stadium gigs this year either

Off to see Black Midi in a couple of weeks and just see that the only night of the tour not to sell out is Newcastle. Bloody typical

Off to see Black Midi in a couple of weeks and just see that the only night of the tour not to sell out is Newcastle. Bloody typical

Black Midi did indeed sell out albeit took longer than other cities on the tour.
It was great to see the place packed out.

Yet perversely, the line of live of music you're into thrives up here, and the club scene is still going strong.
When you say you're into ,you mean playing in a covers band ? They are completely separate to me
Apart from playing I've been to less than 100 pub cover gigs in all my life
Just not my thing .Not knocking the people who stand and watch me ,just not my thing .You're right about it being fairly vibrant and I think that directly affects the real live scene of an area .

When you say you're into ,you mean playing in a covers band ? They are completely separate to me
Apart from playing I've been to less than 100 pub cover gigs in all my life
Just not my thing .Not knocking the people who stand and watch me ,just not my thing .You're right about it being fairly vibrant and I think that directly affects the real live scene of an area .
Aye.

Possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back