Newborn baby sleeping advice..

Own room and turn the sound off on the monitor.

Good luck getting that past your lass.

:lol:

Aye we do shifts on an Friday and Sat so we can at least get like 6 hour unbroken sleep

I’m sure I’m better at zoning it out and just let him crack on as he’s normally alright for me when I do fall asleep

Congrats on the new arrival :cool:

She's just got night and day mixed up. One of mine was like that.

During the day, put her down for naps downstairs. Don't regulate the noise and tip toe around the baby. Put the tele on, use the washer, have normal conversations etc. Nappy changes should be noisy, so talk to her, sing or blow raspberries on her tummy or something like that. Talk during the feed or put music/TV on so there is some noise. If she sleeps longer than 3-4 hours, then wake her for a feed.

At night, everything needs to be quiet and minimal light. If you haven't got a dimmer switch, try and manage to do a nappy change and feed by the light from the landing so the room stays quite dark. Don't speak or make any noise while you are doing it.

She should hopefully flip round after a couple of days and do the longer period of sleeping at night.

A good bedtime routine helps too. Try a bath late on, then clean babygro, feed and bed. That worked through toddler stage and beyond with a bedtime story thrown in when they're old enough to listen.

It's just trial and error most of the time though. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Best to read all the answers, pick the ones you think will work best for you and try them. Most of this parenting lark is just muddling through and trying to make it work. Good luck :D
Some cracking advice there Becs.

Congrats OP. You are going to find it difficult both of you, but hang in there...better times ahead.

Mines 3 in July and she's a little belter now... I would have swapped her for a border Collie in that first, absolutely horrible year 😀

I'll just add to what Becs said and say as the weeks and months go on, choose a routine and stick to it. Our little girl got to 12 weeks and it all went to shit. It was absolutely hell.
I don't think we slept more than 3 hours a night there after for months and months. Not helped by chronic acid reflux which was undiagnosed until we kept banging on the GPs Door.

The missus was in a terrible state and had PND due to the stress and sleep deprivation. Ive always been ablr to function on little sleep but being an older dad. I have to say i struggled.
Routines started paying off in the end. We built a time table for everything, meals, play, sleep... it started working and settled down the for us but your mileage may vary.

Support each other, take turns at the 'wake ups' and feeds etc and you'll be right.

Ours just wakes us up at 6am on the nose every now wanting stories, play etc ...small mercies 🥺

Good luck with everything 👍

Last edited:
Ours have always been good sleepers. Bit of bother with colic in the early days but that was about it. Had to wake them up all the time for feeds when newborns (mind, I was knackered then, like a zombie at times at weekends as I'd agree to do the early hours shift then).

I used to be in the pit until 11. Now it's absolute scenes if I get to sleep in past 7.30am. Mind, lights out from 7.30pm and through til at least 6am without fail so not too bad.

Last edited:
Some cracking advice there Becs.

Congrats OP. You are going to find it difficult both of you, but hang in there...better times ahead.

Mines 3 in July and she's a little belter now... I would have swapped her for a border Collie in that first, absolutely horrible year 😀

I'll just add to what Becs said and say as the weeks and months go on, choose a routine and stick to it. Our little girl got to 12 weeks and it all went to shit. It was absolutely hell.
I don't think we slept more than 3 hours a night there after for months and months. Not helped by chronic acid reflux which was undiagnosed until we kept banging on the GPs Door.

The missus was in a terrible state and had PND due to the stress and sleep deprivation. Ive always been ablr to function on little sleep but being an older dad. I have to say i struggled.
Routines started paying off in the end. We built a time table for everything, meals, play, sleep... it started working and settled down the for us but your mileage may vary.

Support each other, take turns at the 'wake ups' and feeds etc and you'll be right.

Ours just wakes us up at 6am on the nose every now wanting stories, play etc ...small mercies 🥺

Good luck with everything 👍
The long term affects of poor sleep due to bairns is a huge deal for some people. I've still not got used to it years and years down the line. But those first 6 months made me miserable and totally unable to cope with normal life at times.

Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Now do we just try to get her to settle into our routine or do we go with hers?

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..

First of all, congrats.
Secondly if you can get her settled in her own room rather than in with you that's a bonus.
The problem we found with having Mini-K in our room with us was that we reacted to the slightest snuffle which meant your sleep was even more disturbed than it should have been.
Swaddling is American bollocks in my opinion. Let them stretch out. Growbags - basically sleeping bags for babies - are great.

First of all, congrats.
Secondly if you can get her settled in her own room rather than in with you that's a bonus.
The problem we found with having Mini-K in our room with us was that we reacted to the slightest snuffle which meant your sleep was even more disturbed than it should have been.
Swaddling is American bollocks in my opinion. Let them stretch out. Growbags - basically sleeping bags for babies - are great.
The thread was started in 2018 marra.

Do these scenes occur when you realise youve woken up past 7.30 or do you set an alarm for 7.30, perform "absolute scenes" then go back to sleep?
The former. But you've highlighted another option I'd never considered tbh. Initial risk assessment suggests the scenes would wake the others in the household, making the return to the land of nod unlikely.
tell me about it, the missus can't even comprehend that a one year old doesn't need constant CCTV surveillance
Does like.

The former. But you've highlighted another option I'd never considered tbh. Initial risk assessment suggests the scenes would wake the others in the household, making the return to the land of nod unlikely.

Does like.
Christ knows how I managed to raise 3 kids without a camera pointing at them all night

Our little one is 9 weeks old today. We tend to have 3-4 good nights in a row followed by a bad one. Always kicks off at 8pm for an hour or so though. Think she has a colic.

Mine went in own room at 4 weeks. Bliss.

Nee chance here she’s an absolute SIDS freak
Our little one is 9 weeks old today. We tend to have 3-4 good nights in a row followed by a bad one. Always kicks off at 8pm for an hour or so though. Think she has a colic.

Always thought colic was a proper diagnosed illness not a medical “we haven’t got a clue really so we will just call it colic”

Last edited:
Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Now do we just try to get her to settle into our routine or do we go with hers?

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..
My first born did exactly the same mate. It's torture... :-( and gonna be tough for a couple of months yet mate, until the baby starts moving her sleeping patterns to fall in line with yours.

We tried to move his feeding times gradually so he was getting more of his food through the day (Bottle feeding helps fill them up more), meaning he eventually just slept through the night, maybe waking up for one bottle.

We were absolutely wrecked mate, but it doesn't last for ever. Try to have a bit sleep when the baby does and you'll be surprised how much lack of sleep you can get through. Family coming around and watching the bairn while you have a bit sleep really helps also.

Another tip (If you haven't already got one), should you bottle feed, get a Perfect Prep machine, it's the best purchase you'll ever make in your entire life. You're not waiting around for ages for bottles to either cool down or warm up (should you prep them and keep in fridge). Best purchase we ever made for our second child. If the partner is booby feeding them disregard.

Just get through it marra and remind her when she grows up... ;)

Oh and congrats, life as you know it is no longer the same... good and bad :)

Last edited:
Another tip (If you haven't already got one), should you bottle feed, get a Perfect Prep machine, it's the best purchase you'll ever make in your entire life.
You’ve done it now. One of those purchases that a section of the SMB get irrationally hysteric over. We used one for both of hours, it’s class.
Mine went in own room at 4 weeks. Bliss.
6 months for us. When my little girl went I was proper gutted. Couldn’t wait to sling her brother out.

You’ve done it now. One of those purchases that a section of the SMB get irrationally hysteric over. We used one for both of hours, it’s class.

6 months for us. When my little girl went I was proper gutted. Couldn’t wait to sling her brother out.
We didn't have one for the first born but did for the second. Saved a lot of time and tears.

Back