Newborn baby sleeping advice..

Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Now do we just try to get her to settle into our routine or do we go with hers?

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..

Will not read the whole thread but under no fcuking circumstances put the baby in your bed with you. You’ll be ok and will learn to survive on less sleep. you sleep when baby does even if for only 20 mins. It does get easier.

DO NOT PUT THE BAIRN IN BED WITH YOU

Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Now do we just try to get her to settle into our routine or do we go with hers?

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..

Keep it simple mate. You won’t thank yourself if you try to get into a routine of staying awake until 3am!

With both of ours we made a point of having a little routine of actions that let the little one know that the time was coming for bed.

Bath, on the changing mat with a rub down with some baby cream, nappy, fresh baby grow, and then a nice big suck on the titty or after the first three months, a nice big bottle of milk. Sometimes as much as 6oz bottles, enough until they’d both actually fall asleep whilst Getting close to finishing it off. Bit gentle burp over the shoulder. Then gently placed into the cot, mobile on and tippy toe out of their room and most of the time that’d be it until about 6/7am. All the time that was done no later than say 9pm.

Odd time they’d wake up it’d be one of the golden trifecta... wind, hunger or a shitty nappy.

Some people I know are neurotic about times, to the point you’d think they were going to evaporate to dust if they aren’t back in the house with the baby at the same time every evening without fail.

Save that for when they’re older and at school.

Mine both have dummies.

I think you do whatever works for you. Dummies, swaddling, formula, whatever the fuck works.

Mine went into soecias care when he was born and they gave him a dummy they do it to encourage the sucking reflex. I wasn't going to give him one but I'm glad the decision was taken out of my hands.

Partners daughter doesn't have a dummy and she stayed with us for the first time the other night, getting her to sleep when she woke during the night would have been a 1000x easier with something to comfort her. And whatever people think it's no where near as hard as you expect to wean them off it

Mine went into soecias care when he was born and they gave him a dummy they do it to encourage the sucking reflex. I wasn't going to give him one but I'm glad the decision was taken out of my hands.

Partners daughter doesn't have a dummy and she stayed with us for the first time the other night, getting her to sleep when she woke during the night would have been a 1000x easier with something to comfort her. And whatever people think it's no where near as hard as you expect to wean them off it
Nothing the matter with a dummy. My first loved hers and slept 14 hours a night.

Took one night to get her off her dummy as we said the birds took it. She cried for a bit then went to sleep.

Current baby hasn’t taken to it and wakes up a few times a night. Wished she would take one tbh :lol:

Nothing the matter with a dummy. My first loved hers and slept 14 hours a night.

Took one night to get her off her dummy as we said the birds took it. She cried for a bit then went to sleep.

Current baby hasn’t taken to it and wakes up a few times a night. Wished she would take one tbh :lol:

I dreaded getting rid of it, but a few stickers as bribery and he didn't even bother after a night or 2 .

Congrats on your arrival marra. My daughter is 4 weeks old today actually, seems mine has taken to night and day brilliantly.

During the day don't adjust any noise from yourselves or your home, on a night very low light and no vocal communication.

Try a dummy also.

My daughter normally sleeps from 11-4 then up for a feed them back off till 8am. So I can't grumble really

BUMP

The phrase sleeping like a baby is absolute bollocks

Our 5 week old is like a frigging truffle pig snorting grunting and everything

BUMP

12 weeks, own room and sleeping through for both mine.

Although my youngest (3y/o) does shout some random stuff throughout the night.

BUMP

Loved my bairns being asleep & I could learn their breathing :lol:

I reckon I could pick out my two now on their breathing patterns like.

Anyhow, my littlest is 2 1/2 & I think we’ve just started to turn a bit of a corner. Doesn’t want to go to bed, “5 minutes” is his favourite saying, but he’s not waking up multiple times a night.

Fingers crossed anyhow.

Aye think he just needs to learn how to let one rip

Burps fine
Shits fine

But the lad can’t fart :lol:

Going decent stretches for a newborn just makes a racket might get some earplugs
Own room and turn the sound off on the monitor.

Good luck getting that past your lass.

Back