Newborn baby sleeping advice..

1982DurhamSAFC

Midfield
Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Now do we just try to get her to settle into our routine or do we go with hers?

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

Don't know what to do for the best...

Trying to make sure we all get plenty of sleep..

Look into ‘Swaddling’.

Basically, wrap the baby so his/her arms are close to their body and they feel enclosed. It is representative of being in the womb.

If he/ she wakes up during the night, re swaddle and emphasise getting them back to sleep, not attention or feeding.

I had my kids sleeping for eight hours plus within a few months by being a strong parent, not a concerned one.

Congrats on the new arrival :cool:

She's just got night and day mixed up. One of mine was like that.

During the day, put her down for naps downstairs. Don't regulate the noise and tip toe around the baby. Put the tele on, use the washer, have normal conversations etc. Nappy changes should be noisy, so talk to her, sing or blow raspberries on her tummy or something like that. Talk during the feed or put music/TV on so there is some noise. If she sleeps longer than 3-4 hours, then wake her for a feed.

At night, everything needs to be quiet and minimal light. If you haven't got a dimmer switch, try and manage to do a nappy change and feed by the light from the landing so the room stays quite dark. Don't speak or make any noise while you are doing it.

She should hopefully flip round after a couple of days and do the longer period of sleeping at night.

A good bedtime routine helps too. Try a bath late on, then clean babygro, feed and bed. That worked through toddler stage and beyond with a bedtime story thrown in when they're old enough to listen.

It's just trial and error most of the time though. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Best to read all the answers, pick the ones you think will work best for you and try them. Most of this parenting lark is just muddling through and trying to make it work. Good luck :D

Anyone saying this ignores their kids. It’s not healthy for everyone in this relationship.

Iirc

Utter shite mate. I’ve spent many an hour watching my kids are safe and fall back to sleep naturally. It’s not natural to pander to every cry they make. Indeed, it encourages this as the child receives more attention the more they cry and both the child and the parents suffer.

I’m of the opinion that the more you pander to every noise or movement the more they get used to get the attention they want at ridiculous times. Ive had a fair bit of experience with premature twins (now 5) and my partners daughter who is still under 2.
As stated though, every situation is different and sometimes there’s no right or wrong answer. Just keep doing what’s right for you mate and you’ll come out the other side a stronger man. Character building n all that!

Finally got a little girl after 5 years of trying for a baby. She's doing great apart from sleeping at night which is and isn't a shock.

Basically she's 2 weeks old. Currently she sleeps most of the day but won't settle between 11-3am .

Would it be best to stay up until 3am then take her to settle in our room with us?

I've got two nippers. A 1 yo and a 2 yo. Both were similar I.e had day and night mixed up. We were strict on routine and slowly managed to get them kipping through the night. 1st one took til around 6 months and 2nd was sleeping through the night from around 3 months. You have to decide on a plan and stick to it.

Look into ‘Swaddling’.

Basically, wrap the baby so his/her arms are close to their body and they feel enclosed. It is representative of being in the womb.

If he/ she wakes up during the night, re swaddle and emphasise getting them back to sleep, not attention or feeding.

I had my kids sleeping for eight hours plus within a few months by being a strong parent, not a concerned one.
Hark at super f***ing nanny here.

Congrats!

Anyway, we went down the controlled crying route. It was a bit rough at first but after a little while it worked a treat and it ended up where we could take her anyway and she’d sleep like a log. The initial pain was well rewarded.

As an aside, has anyone got any advice how to get a seven year old to sleep when they’re going batshit mental at the thought of Christmas in a few days?

I’m of the opinion that the more you pander to every noise or movement the more they get used to get the attention they want at ridiculous times. Ive had a fair bit of experience with premature twins (now 5) and my partners daughter who is still under 2.
As stated though, every situation is different and sometimes there’s no right or wrong answer. Just keep doing what’s right for you mate and you’ll come out the other side a stronger man. Character building n all that!

I've got two nippers. A 1 yo and a 2 yo. Both were similar I.e had day and night mixed up. We were strict on routine and slowly managed to get them kipping through the night. 1st one took til around 6 months and 2nd was sleeping through the night from around 3 months. You have to decide on a plan and stick to it.

It’s almost like those who have walked the more difficult path have reaped the reward.

Hark at super f***ing nanny here.

Anar :oops:

Congrats on the new arrival :cool:

She's just got night and day mixed up. One of mine was like that.

During the day, put her down for naps downstairs. Don't regulate the noise and tip toe around the baby. Put the tele on, use the washer, have normal conversations etc. Nappy changes should be noisy, so talk to her, sing or blow raspberries on her tummy or something like that. Talk during the feed or put music/TV on so there is some noise. If she sleeps longer than 3-4 hours, then wake her for a feed.

At night, everything needs to be quiet and minimal light. If you haven't got a dimmer switch, try and manage to do a nappy change and feed by the light from the landing so the room stays quite dark. Don't speak or make any noise while you are doing it.

She should hopefully flip round after a couple of days and do the longer period of sleeping at night.

A good bedtime routine helps too. Try a bath late on, then clean babygro, feed and bed. That worked through toddler stage and beyond with a bedtime story thrown in when they're old enough to listen.

It's just trial and error most of the time though. What works for one, doesn't work for another. Best to read all the answers, pick the ones you think will work best for you and try them. Most of this parenting lark is just muddling through and trying to make it work. Good luck :D
Great advice

Back