New Music Releases Thread

What is the Primal Scream album exactly, is it just remasters of the album or is lost demos etc ?
From what I’ve read, they recorded most of the album in Memphis, their label said they weren’t enough hits so they re-recorded some of the tracks in the UK for the final release.

“Disc” 1 of this is the original recordings, with “Disc” 2 being demos, outtakes and other bits

From what I’ve read, they recorded most of the album in Memphis, their label said they weren’t enough hits so they re-recorded some of the tracks in the UK for the final release.

“Disc” 1 of this is the original recordings, with “Disc” 2 being demos, outtakes and other bits

I think it was the band themselves who didn't like it rather than Creation.From what I remember of the album, it was down to the songs not being good rather than how they were recorded/

@Arkle @Mickdundee Cheers, I love that record in its original form so i'll definitely give it a listen tomorrow. Ive just read its a bit more country / gospel which sounds really interesting.

A good few relaease im looking forward to tomorrow,

The KVB. Used to get bigged up by dangermows ( where is he these days ? ) on here. Really good band, playing Think Tank next month.
Jaakko Eion Kalvi. Scandi indy / disco / balearic / pop.
Les Big Byrd. Scandi pysche, big pals of Brian Jones Masscare.
Primal Scream. As mentioned above.
Matthew Dear.
Kurt Vile.

Busy few days getting through that lot

Last edited:
Missing from @Arkle ‘S list for this week is a combination of 2 of my favourite things - twee Australian indie pop and beer as the soundtrack to the Ben Lee/Tom Robbins musical “B is for Beer” is released.

It’s very musical theatre. Some of it is very clever though. The opening track has the lyric even Albert said “Ein Stein” which I found funnier than it should be.

Last edited:
Missing from @Arkle ‘S list for this week is a combination of 2 of my favourite things - twee Australian indie pop and beer as the soundtrack to the Ben Lee/Tom Robbins musical “B is for Beer” is released.

It’s very musical theatre. Some of it is very clever though. The opening track has the lyric even Albert said “Ein Stein” which I found funnier than it should be.

If it doesn't get listed by Metacritic or reviewed in one of 3 or 4 places, I don't know about it so don't list it. I also missed the Jess Glynne album (likely number 1 next week) and a new Titus Andronicus EP (which is Hallowe'en themed seemingly).

From this week's releases...

Titus Andronicus - a lot better than their most recent album.
Kurt Vile - really good. Instantly recognisable as KV. 80 minutes long but doesn't seem like it.
John Grant - good but I wish he'd step back at times toward Queen of Denmark style balladry.
Goatman - predictably, if you like Goat you'll like this. A bit more obviously Afrobeat than their stuff and male vocals, not female.
Anna St Louis - sort of indie-folk-soul. Lovely voice.
Connan Mockasin - sleazy funk. Interesting. Seems a bit slight for a full album.
Colter Wall - enjoyable, old school outlaw country. Make that very enjoyable!
Jim Ghedi & Toby Hay - folk guitar heroes *2. Really quite lovely!

Kurt Vile - really good. Instantly recognisable as KV. 80 minutes long but doesn't seem like it.
John Grant - good but I wish he'd step back at times toward Queen of Denmark style balladry.
Goatman - predictably, if you like Goat you'll like this. A bit more obviously Afrobeat than their stuff and male vocals, not female.
Connan Mockasin - sleazy funk. Interesting. Seems a bit slight for a full album.
I’ve not had a chance to check out KV yet but it’s probably next on my list.

I’ve enjoyed The Bottle Rockets and The Rumjacks a lot;
Primal Scream is good but I’d expected it to be “more different” to the final recordings;
B is for Beer is fascinating - witty, well written, quite camp, nothing like Ben Lee has ever written before (and he’s written for different styles a lot).

Jim Ghedi and Toby Hay have been soundtracking my last couple of months in their own right so looking forward to listening to their joint album in the next couple of days.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Epic45 released their latest album on 28 September. It’s typically gorgeous and perhaps one of if not their most accessible album to date. Even has some BoC/John Carpenter synths in.

Also Darren Hayman (he of the band Hefner) has not long since released his third volume of his Thankful Villages project, an album about those “thankful” villages where all those who went off to fight in the war returned.

Last edited:
Anyone off to see Malkmus and the Jicks this week? Got a ticket for Manchester tomorrow night, driving down from work and not sure if I can be bothered. Be lucky if he plays here again for another 4 years though based on previous so that's my driver.

Not too fussed on the new album but his earlier solo stuff is superb and he is Pavement so respect needs to be delivered!!

Busy this last week with some great stuff out,

Jaakko Eino Kalevi. Loungy, discoish, laid back electronic, Some great stuff on it. Going for a ealy 80's Bowie vibe.

Peaking Lights. New EP from American duo. Although its an EP, each of the 6 tracks clock in at over 6 minutes each. Not a huge departure from previous output so if you're already a fan you'll really enjoy it. The usual dub, house, reggae, electronics are all here. Very good.

The KVB. Excellent stuff from UK duo. Still excellently executing the hybrid of punk and electronica. Great album.

Les Big Byrd. Swedish pych band make arguably their most commercial album yet. Big melodies to a back drop of Neu / Motorik beats. Well worth a listen.

TVAM. Album not out until tomorrow but i've been hammering the four tracks from it already released. Sounds brilliant, very My bloody Valentine / Primal Scream XTRMNTR sound to it. Cant wait for tomorrows album.

Due to above still need to get on Kurt Vile and Anton Newcombe / Tess Parks colab album. It's been a busy week.

Not quite so much out this week as the past couple. Besides the TVAM album, there are releases from Ace Frehley, Cloud Nothings, Disturbed, Elle King, Empress Of, Farao, Greta Van Fleet, How to Dress Well, Jimmy Urine, Lil Yachty, MØ, Neneh Cherry, Papercuts, Peter Bjorn and John, Richard Ashcroft, Soulfly, Will Oldham, Yoko Ono, Blancmange and Pixies (the Come On Pilgrim/Surfer Rosa 3 disc box thing).

Not quite so much out this week as the past couple. Besides the TVAM album, there are releases from Ace Frehley, Cloud Nothings, Disturbed, Elle King, Empress Of, Farao, Greta Van Fleet, How to Dress Well, Jimmy Urine, Lil Yachty, MØ, Neneh Cherry, Papercuts, Peter Bjorn and John, Richard Ashcroft, Soulfly, Will Oldham, Yoko Ono, Blancmange and Pixies (the Come On Pilgrim/Surfer Rosa 3 disc box thing).
Not that impressed this week. There’s been a lot of hype around Greta Van Fleet so I’ll probably give it a spin. Maybe Soulfly and Jimmy Urine.

On an aside, is anyone here familiar with Lydia Loveless? I was recommended her most recent (2017) album via Apple Music and it’s stupendous. Alt-Country/outlaw-country type stuff with a definite late 90s/early 00s jangly American indie-rock influence. I’ve also discovered that she’s toured with the Supersuckers on more than one occasion so I assume there might be some cowpunk in her back catalogue.

I’ll check out Ashcroft just to see if it’s as bad as everyone says it is.
He’s having a complete meltdown over his 1/5 review in the metro paper.

Not that impressed this week. There’s been a lot of hype around Greta Van Fleet so I’ll probably give it a spin. Maybe Soulfly and Jimmy Urine.

On an aside, is anyone here familiar with Lydia Loveless? I was recommended her most recent (2017) album via Apple Music and it’s stupendous. Alt-Country/outlaw-country type stuff with a definite late 90s/early 00s jangly American indie-rock influence. I’ve also discovered that she’s toured with the Supersuckers on more than one occasion so I assume there might be some cowpunk in her back catalogue.

Listened to her album "Real" back in 2016. Pretty good but nothing revolutionary. Don't recall any cowpunk.

Will Oldham and Neneh Cherry hold most appeal to me from the list, along with TVAM which @mad cyril has me keen to check out.

I’ll check out Ashcroft just to see if it’s as bad as everyone says it is.
He’s having a complete meltdown over his 1/5 review in the metro paper.
i didnt quite understand why he decided to burn a copy of the nme on instagram?

he should embrace it the way that noel did with that irish times review of his own album...

i didnt quite understand why he decided to burn a copy of the nme on instagram?

he should embrace it the way that noel did with that irish times review of his own album...

He's gone off his nut with the NME, they give him a 2/5 review so he's went on a meltdown ranting why did they offer him a godlike genius etc etc.

The hatchet job the metro paper did on him was the funniest. If you havn't read it i beg you to. The best line was calling him 'beige against the machine'. He hit back calling him a keyboard warrior and inviting him to his Barrowlands gig to change his mind. I really hope he goes and slates it again.

I've always loved early Verve but he's lost the plot recently. He acted a right tit with the soccer AM / drugs thing, instead of laughing it off he was posting videos of himself getting all angry about it. Bloe needs to lighten up a bit.

Empress Of new stuff is more mainstream than her previous work, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I liked the originality of her earlier stuff. I have to give it a few more listens.

A friend of mine was raving about the new Tom Morello album so I listened to it and I didn't really care for it.

He acted a right tit with the soccer AM / drugs thing, instead of laughing it off he was posting videos of himself getting all angry about it. Bloe needs to lighten up a bit.
yeah his instagram feed is bizarre mind, sort of trying to ape a liam gallagher type persona but coming off all low-rent. sometimes seeing behind the curtain isnt great.

The hatchet job the metro paper did on him was the funniest. If you havn't read it i beg you to.
"Money Money, a Poundland Gimme Shelter" :lol:
the NME, they give him a 2/5 review
"keeping the faith in solid Noel-rock song-writing"

:lol:

"at a stage when even Noel is f***ing around with scissor solos, taking such safe roads only leads Ashcroft down a cultural cul-de-sac."

Last edited:

Back