New Music Releases Thread

yeah his instagram feed is bizarre mind, sort of trying to ape a liam gallagher type persona but coming off all low-rent. sometimes seeing behind the curtain isnt great.

"Money Money, a Poundland Gimme Shelter" :lol:

"keeping the faith in solid Noel-rock song-writing"

:lol:

"at a stage when even Noel is f***ing around with scissor solos, taking such safe roads only leads Ashcroft down a cultural cul-de-sac."
Yet they blow noel off constantly

He's gone off his nut with the NME, they give him a 2/5 review so he's went on a meltdown ranting why did they offer him a godlike genius etc etc.

The hatchet job the metro paper did on him was the funniest. If you havn't read it i beg you to. The best line was calling him 'beige against the machine'. He hit back calling him a keyboard warrior and inviting him to his Barrowlands gig to change his mind. I really hope he goes and slates it again.

I've always loved early Verve but he's lost the plot recently. He acted a right tit with the soccer AM / drugs thing, instead of laughing it off he was posting videos of himself getting all angry about it. Bloe needs to lighten up a bit.

Ashcroft is the biggest wanker on planet earth. Fairly sure he always has been. Zero charm or daft side to him either.

The Verve were fuckin rubbish as well.

Ashcroft is the biggest wanker on planet earth. Fairly sure he always has been. Zero charm or daft side to him either.

The Verve were fuckin rubbish as well.

Verve, before they adopted ‘the’ to the title were brilliant. When he was dubbed as ‘Mad Richard’ I genuinely thought he was fantastic. A storm in heaven was a fantastic album, as was a Northern Soul.
For a period of time him and Jason from spiritualized could do no wrong with their respective output.
Since then he’s turned tragic. Embarrassingly desperate to remain relevant whilst churning out constant MOR guff.

Verve, before they adopted ‘the’ to the title were brilliant. When he was dubbed as ‘Mad Richard’ I genuinely thought he was fantastic. A storm in heaven was a fantastic album, as was a Northern Soul.
For a period of time him and Jason from spiritualized could do no wrong with their respective output.
Since then he’s turned tragic. Embarrassingly desperate to remain relevant whilst churning out constant MOR guff.

Agreed. I thought A Northern Soul was terrific and its predecessors all good. His solo stuff has all been awful.

With regard to more relevant releases this week, I missed the new Hollow Hand album from my list, along with John Carpenter's soundtrack for the new Halloween film, an Insecure Men covers album, a new Lee 'Scratch' Perry album, a 30 years of Damaged Goods records comp, a deluxe "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", the soundtrack to "Bohemian Rhapsody", Rough Trade reckons there's a new Malcolm Middleton album, there's deffo a new Kiran Leonard album, for folkies there's a new Karine Polwart album and that's your lot...

Anyone off to see Malkmus and the Jicks this week? Got a ticket for Manchester tomorrow night, driving down from work and not sure if I can be bothered. Be lucky if he plays here again for another 4 years though based on previous so that's my driver.

Not too fussed on the new album but his earlier solo stuff is superb and he is Pavement so respect needs to be delivered!!
I lost track of his solo career. Didn't bother at all with the previous two Jicks albums but after reading positive things about Sparkle Hard, I bought it. I think it's decent. How was the gig?

I lost track of his solo career. Didn't bother at all with the previous two Jicks albums but after reading positive things about Sparkle Hard, I bought it. I think it's decent. How was the gig?

Wigout at Jagbags is decent, I didn't appreciate Mirror Traffic at all, felt it was weak but Real Emotional Trash is his stand out.

I didn't go in the end, late out of work and couldn't be chewed. I think I talked myself out of it. Couple of people I know went, setlist was mainly new album with a couple of Pavement tunes in the encore. Seen him a few times and I always felt he hated playing Pavement stuff. Even in the reunion gigs he seemed bored and resentful!

Saw Verve supporting Smashing Pumpkins. They were superb but to this day I bet Ashcroft doesn't even know he played that gig...

TVAM - Pyscic Data is great. Well derserving of the hype and reviews. Going to rough trade east tomorrow night to see him. Can’t wait.

So aside from the marvellous Church of the Cosmic Skull who I posted about on Saturday, I've been listening to new and newish albums from:

TVAM - as @mad cyril says, very good. A bit krautrock, a bit noisy shoegaze, a bit Suicide/good Primal Scream.
The KVB - sort of twinning them with TVAM because they sound similarish and both have names made of initials. I think I saw some of their set at Green Man in the summer.
Will Oldham - songs from through his career done solo with mostly acouastic guitar. "I See a Darkness" sounds sparser than ever. Lovely!
Kiran Leonard - first time he's recorded with his band. Noisier than past outings but no less good.
Taken By Trees - first solo album in 6 years by Victoria Bergsman of The Concretes. The earlier albums were a bit more experimentally folky whereas this is a tad electronic, almost triphop-ish. So so. Think it came out a few months back.
Neneh Cherry - like her last album, this is produced by Kieran Hebden of Four Tet. It's really very good indeed. Effectively, it's, well, Neneh Cherry singing over Four Tet's ambientish electronica. Very, very good indeed!

As we get to the end of the year, there are fewer new releases numerically but still some good ones. This week we have releases from B.E.D. (Baxter Dury, Etienne de Crecy and Delillah Holiday), Bloodbath, Daughters, Dean Wareham vs Cheval Sombre, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Hush Kids, Jesisca Moss, John Legend (a bloody Christmas album!), Julia Holter, Lukas Graham, Mick Jenkins, NAO, Robyn, Saves the Day, Shad, The Struts, Ty Dolla $ign and Jerimih, Ty Segall (a covers album), Unknown Mortal Orchestra (an instrumental album), Black Eyed Peas, Micah P Hinson, Lisa O'Neill, Laura Gibson and Thom Yorke.

Back