New Music Releases Thread

My listening so far this week (other than Prince):

Thalia Zedek Band: one I missed from the new releases. High qauality, literate indie rock.
The Field: no major surprises. Hypnotic, propulsive electronica
Metric: pretty good, poppy indie rock. Nothing ground breaking
Villagers: indie folk stuff. Pleasant but not pushing any boundaries
Christine & the Queens: getting rave reviews everywhere. For me, it's okay. The deluxe version is bloody long
Mutual Benefit: really enjoying this. Similar to the earlier albums.

Have listened to about 5 tracks of the Suede album so far and yet to listen to BEAK> (who were excellent at Green Man).

The new Supersuckers album is tremendous. Until yesterday I thought it was their best album for almost 20 years, but I listened to 1999’s “Evil Powers if Rock N Roll” for the first time in about 2 years yesterday, and I actually think the new one is better!

Another busy week with albums from Lil Wayne (out today), Alt-J (remixes of last year's album), Amy Ray, Bayside, Beartooth, Cher, Cypress Hill, Dillon Francis, GOGGS, Hail The Sun, Lala Lala, Logic, Loretta Lynn, Lupe Fiasco, Marissa Nadler, Mudhoney, New Mexican, Reason, Rod Stewart, Roosevelt, Sam Phillips, SOB X RBE, Terror, The Black Lillies, The Joy Formidable, Tim Hecker, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (box set of unrelease music), Tony Joe White.

Another busy week with albums from Lil Wayne (out today), Alt-J (remixes of last year's album), Amy Ray, Bayside, Beartooth, Cher, Cypress Hill, Dillon Francis, GOGGS, Hail The Sun, Lala Lala, Logic, Loretta Lynn, Lupe Fiasco, Marissa Nadler, Mudhoney, New Mexican, Reason, Rod Stewart, Roosevelt, Sam Phillips, SOB X RBE, Terror, The Black Lillies, The Joy Formidable, Tim Hecker, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (box set of unrelease music), Tony Joe White.
Tom Petty and Cypress Hill for me this week.

Also The Living End’s new one, “Wunderbar”, which isn’t on your list. The pre-order tracks have been great - they seem to be a bit more commercial than the last couple of albums. Really looking forward to it. They were my favourite band when I was about 17/18 when they sounded like an Australian, Stay-Cats-influenced, Green Day but they have evolved significantly over the last 20 years.

@Idlewild Mackem new Tim Hecker tomorrow

There's not actually that much of interest for me this week looking at that list. Marissa Nadler, Mudhoney, maybe GOGGS (although they're probably the least impressive Ty Segall project).

I know I seem to say this a lot with albums, but The Living End’s new one is superb. A real return to form after the last 3 being average-to-fairly-good.

Probably their most diverse album in 15 years (everything there from punk to stadium rock to semi-acoustic ; one of the tracks actually reminds me of Roxy music), incredibly well written, political. It definitely has the potential to become my favourite album by them.

The new Beak> album is class
Pleased to hear this. Love Portishead, but never heard a Beak> album yet. As they're playing Newcastle in November, I'll make sure I hear this one soon, then get a ticket if it impresses me. Obviously I expect it'll be canny different to Portishead without Beth's voice.

Agree. Just not enough melody in it for me. Shame as last album was superb.
Each to their own but I'm loving Low and think it's full of melody (even the distorted parts). Would urge you to give it another go. Disappointed they're not playing the north east. Considering Manchester next month (Kathryn Joseph is supporting).

Oh it's October now.. Low play Manchester this month then.

Last edited:
Each to their own but I'm loving Low and think it's full of melody (even the distorted parts). Would urge you to give it another go. Disappointed they're not playing the north east. Considering Manchester next month (Kathryn Joseph is supporting).

Oh it's October now.. Low play Manchester this month then.

Yeah I will do, just got sidetracked by the genius of new Spiritualized album ! I havnt wrote it off just yet. I saw them live last year or maybe year before in sage 2 and absolutely loved it.

Back