New Music Releases Thread

The post above has reminded me to do my weekly review. Some very good albums here, Crispin;

Aoife O'Donovan: very, very good, like a slightly countrified female Sufjan.
LYR: an EP so not eligible for competition. Simon Armitage is a national treasure. Should be poet laureate or something! This is very good again.
Not Me But Us: very pretty electronica, very warming.
Jlin; more electronica, quite glitchy. Has a big name guest list (Bjork, Philip Glass). Pretty good.
Halo Maud: French pop. Interesting, bordering on very good.
Sam Evian: his fourth album of indie rock with touches of 60s psych. Very good. There's a joke somewhere about it being watered down.
Saint Saviour: Stockton's finest is back with album number 4. This is a bit less electronic than I remember her earlier albums being. Sort of folkie pop. Good.
Gary Clark Jr: the young(ish) blues guitarist returns with an album that travels across genre like a big travelly thing. This is really quite impressive.
Waxahatchee: pretty impressive. Her voice remains great. She's gradually getting more downbeat.
The Staves: great vocal harmonies, some good songs, a very commercial production sheen. All in all pretty good.
Rosali: quality all the way. Great songs, great musicianship, really very good.
Les Big Byrd: as mentioned just above, a mighty slab of psych-kraut magic.
Adrianne Lenker: she's exceptional. As always a little less muscular than Big Thief can be. There's a real warmth to this album.
The Jesus and Mary Chain: pretty good. The good moments are great, some of it isn't so good but all in all enjoyable.
Odetta Hartman: quirky and interesting. I think I enjoyed her last album more though.
Gossip: wall to wall banging anthems. This is an absolutely cracking pop album.
Francis of Delirium: grunge flecked indiepop from Luxembourg. Very impressive.
Elbow: it's an Elbow album and TBH, it's a good one. You won't like it if you haven't previously enjoyed Elbow though.
Julia Holter: a bit more immediately engaging and less arthouse than her previous album. This is very good.

Album of the week: probably comes down to a choice between Gary Clark Jr, Rosali, Adrianne Lenker and Gossip. Ultimately, I'm going for the wall to wall banging anthems so Gossip have it for this week.

Good Friday beings new albums from Beyonce, Cakes Da Killa, Chastity Belt, Dent May, Ed Harcourt, Enrique Iglesias, High Llamas, J-Hope, Kelly Moran, Ride, Sheryl Crow, Sum 41, Jim White (the drummer not the Americana fella), Sarah Shook & the Disarmers, Holiday Ghosts and Alejandro Escovedo.

Good Friday beings new albums from Beyonce, Cakes Da Killa, Chastity Belt, Dent May, Ed Harcourt, Enrique Iglesias, High Llamas, J-Hope, Kelly Moran, Ride, Sheryl Crow, Sum 41, Jim White (the drummer not the Americana fella), Sarah Shook & the Disarmers, Holiday Ghosts and Alejandro Escovedo.
More like bang average Friday

Holiday Ghosts is the best of the bunch

Like just about everything by The Jesus And Mary Chain, but up to now I'm struggling with most of Glasgow Eyes. Apparently William sings lead on 7 of the songs and shares vocals with Jim on another song. That may be the issue I have with it. Usually Jim sings the bulk of songs.

Like just about everything by The Jesus And Mary Chain, but up to now I'm struggling with most of Glasgow Eyes. Apparently William sings lead on 7 of the songs and shares vocals with Jim on another song. That may be the issue I have with it. Usually Jim sings the bulk of songs.

I think it’s not bad, though that Rolling Stones track is grim and easily worst thing they’ve done.

My review of a quiet week's releases:

Jim White: ambient percussion is probably the best description. Challenging.
Sarah Shook & the Disarmers:
A solid enough country rock album. Some decent tunes.
Ride:
Very good. As mentioned above, a little more synthy than their previous albums since reforming.
Holiday Ghosts: Indie jangle. Pretty good.
Chastity Belt: More post-grunge alt rock. Also pretty good.
Alejandro Escovedo:
Re-recorded songs from across his career. Reminds me of Mark Eitzel. Excellent.
The High Llamas:
Knowing pop. They remind me a little of Field Music,
Ed Harcourt:
Pleasant enough singer-songwriter stuff. Some good songs.
Beyonce:
There are some excellent songs here but it's a little overly long.

Album of the week: Alejandro Escovedo holds off Ride in a photo finish.

My review of a quiet week's releases:

Jim White: ambient percussion is probably the best description. Challenging.
Sarah Shook & the Disarmers:
A solid enough country rock album. Some decent tunes.
Ride:
Very good. As mentioned above, a little more synthy than their previous albums since reforming.
Holiday Ghosts: Indie jangle. Pretty good.
Chastity Belt: More post-grunge alt rock. Also pretty good.
Alejandro Escovedo:
Re-recorded songs from across his career. Reminds me of Mark Eitzel. Excellent.
The High Llamas:
Knowing pop. They remind me a little of Field Music,
Ed Harcourt:
Pleasant enough singer-songwriter stuff. Some good songs.
Beyonce:
There are some excellent songs here but it's a little overly long.

Album of the week: Alejandro Escovedo holds off Ride in a photo finish.
I like the Ride album like. Although I do like Ride anyway.

Back