New Music Releases Thread

I’ve made myself a pledge this year to listen to a new album every week (or at least by the end of the year have the equivalent so some weeks I listen to two…)

I use Arkle’s reviews as a guide and any others that are highly recommended by all on this thread. It’s genuinely the best source of new music for me and I’ve even shared it with my work colleagues who appreciate the recommendations.
Yes, this is one of the better threads on the SMB. @Arkle has pointed me in the right direction on more than one occasion. Obviously helps that with Spotify etc you can dip straight in and I’m giving Credit Electric a listen based on Arkle’s “woozy country” description 😊

As you say, other recommendations on this thread are useful. I discovered Julia Jacklin who I had never heard of following a strong recommendation by @Harry Angstrom 👍

@Arkle the one weekend I’ve listened to no music and you’ve not done a review man

was at my mam's over the weekend. I never get much music listened to when I'm there.
@Arkle the one weekend I’ve listened to no music and you’ve not done a review man

Right, I'm now up to speed:

C Turtle: enjoyable indie rock, some Pixies elements to it
Moor Mother: jazz flecked political rap, as is the norm. Good.
Punchlove: as recommended last week. Shoegaze influenced indie rock.
Tom McRae: duets with, largely French, women. Acoustic troubador type stuff, decent.
Bacao Rhythm & Steel Band: kind of does what it says on the tin, a steel band doing old school r&b. Enjoyable in small doses.
Midas Fall: female fronted proggy rock. Okay.
Astrel K: I like their sound but not sure the songs are as strong as the debut.
Oisin Leech: solo album by one of The Lost Brothers. A thing of folky loveliness. My only complaint is that it's a little brief.
Marry Waterson & Adrian Crowley: more folk. This is tremendous. Waterson and Crowley's voices gel really well together.
The Rhythm Method: Bill Ryder-Jones on production duty. A cracking album of leftfield pop gems.
Charles Moothart:Ty Segall's drummer becomes frontman. Garage rock, very good songs.
Meatbodies: psych rock excellence. well up there.
The Hanging Stars: British Americana, pleasantly diverting.
Kim Gordon: forward thinking, tracks tend to merge into one but good.
Bleachers: some big name guests. A bit Springsteen at times, a bit National at others. Okay.
Erika Angell: intriguing vocal led electronica. Reminds me of Laurie Anderson or The Knife. Very good.
Mining: doomy, synthy ambient electronica. Pretty good.

Album of the week: Marry Waterson and Adrian Crowley just take it from Meatbodies and Oisin Leech.

Last edited:
Love the Meatbodies album, I think a scout of their back catalogue is on the cards.

Really like the mannequin pussy album they remind me of Wolf Alice.

Bolis pupul has earned a few more plays, interesting style.

Also enjoying the new Astrel K.

Four Tet is excellent, as you might expect.

Enjoying the Horsebeach new one as well. It includes a cover of Pure Shores so it's worth listening to for that alone.
Devon Welsh (singer from Majical Cloud) has a new record out too. First listen is very promising.

Last edited:
A quiet week so I'm getting stuck into The Waterboys' 1985 after listening to the new stuff as follows:

Boeckner: unsurprisingly, sounds a bit like Wolf Parade. Pretty good.
Starless: very good, orchestrated songs with guest vocalists.
Four Tet: exceptionally good. You kind of know what you're getting but it still surprises.
Kacey Musgraves: a decent enough album, very good in parts. She's clearly looking toward the Swift market.
Charles Lloyd: the jazz veteran is 86 and still making excellent records. This is an hour and a half long but powers on by.
The Dandy Warhols: pretty good fun. Again, you kind of know what you're getting
The Black Crowes: it's good that they're back. This is a terrific album of Stonesy southern rock.
Sam Lee: orchestrated folk. This is exceptionally good. High quality right through.
Pete Astor: the ex-Loft and Weather Prophets man keeps chugging along. This has some old songs re-recorded on it. Decent.

Album of the week: Sam Lee but The Black Crowes, Charles Lloyd and Four Tet all excellent also.

A quiet week so I'm getting stuck into The Waterboys' 1985 after listening to the new stuff as follows:

Boeckner: unsurprisingly, sounds a bit like Wolf Parade. Pretty good.
Starless: very good, orchestrated songs with guest vocalists.
Four Tet: exceptionally good. You kind of know what you're getting but it still surprises.
Kacey Musgraves: a decent enough album, very good in parts. She's clearly looking toward the Swift market.
Charles Lloyd: the jazz veteran is 86 and still making excellent records. This is an hour and a half long but powers on by.
The Dandy Warhols: pretty good fun. Again, you kind of know what you're getting
The Black Crowes: it's good that they're back. This is a terrific album of Stonesy southern rock.
Sam Lee: orchestrated folk. This is exceptionally good. High quality right through.
Pete Astor: the ex-Loft and Weather Prophets man keeps chugging along. This has some old songs re-recorded on it. Decent.

Album of the week: Sam Lee but The Black Crowes, Charles Lloyd and Four Tet all excellent also.
Review Mr Ben & The Bens, Beige Banquet, Horsebeach and the Fourth Wall please

Back