New Music Releases Thread

Listening to that now. They’re fine, but it all sounds similar to me
I'm just giving it a first listen - only a couple of songs in. Maybe it'll suffer from having fewer songs - the only weakness of that other album was there were so many songs on it, and it was all over the shop, a bit scattergun. Maybe they've learned to pare it down but in doing so only picked the ones that sound the same?

I'm just giving it a first listen - only a couple of songs in. Maybe it'll suffer from having fewer songs - the only weakness of that other album was there were so many songs on it, and it was all over the shop, a bit scattergun. Maybe they've learned to pare it down but in doing so only picked the ones that sound the same?
They just don’t ever connect with me. It sounds fine, but I couldn’t tell you what a single song sounds like (and I’ve tried).

Similar to Teenage Fanclub actually!

That Courting record is like some sort of Cool Greenhouse, Hooton Tennis Club, BCNR and Shame mash up. Not what I was expecting, it's quite good but don't think it has much longevity. They'll be canny live.

Really enjoying the Oliver Sim record, the bloke from the XX. Lovely stuff.

The Khruanbin one is excellent.

Alex G is very good in patches but I'm not convinced by it as whole album. I preferred the last one.

Anything worth listening to out of this weeks releases?

That Courting record is like some sort of Cool Greenhouse, Hooton Tennis Club, BCNR and Shame mash up. Not what I was expecting, it's quite good but don't think it has much longevity. They'll be canny live.

Really enjoying the Oliver Sim record, the bloke from the XX. Lovely stuff.

The Khruanbin one is excellent.

Alex G is very good in patches but I'm not convinced by it as whole album. I preferred the last one.

Anything worth listening to out of this weeks releases?
New Vacant Lots record is decent if that’s your thing.

Going against others opinion, but I enjoyed Yeah Yeah Yeahs new album. I am a big fan of Karen O and she sounds great here. Slightly disappointed it only has 8 songs, especially after they've been away so long.
Also thought the recent Suede album was very good and much better than I was expecting.

Steve Reich was my album of the week

Which reminds me. Somewhat belated as I'm working 12 hour days:

Talk Show: an EP. Angryish post-punk. Pretty good.
High Vis: politicised London punks go anthemic, as they do. Quite poppy, one for the lads.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs: starts brilliantly, ends brilliantly, sags in between.
Lambchop: a mix of their older lo-fi stuff and the newer dancing while sitdown autotuned vocals stuff. Really good TBH. Their best in ages.
Dan Lyons & the Tenants: old school indie charmer makes album. It starts out slowly but develops into something modestly raucous.
Titus Andronicus: fun, better than their recent releases but nowhere near what their early albums promised me.
Pixies: probably their best since they returned but still a modest effort relative to albums of yore.
Bjork: very good indeed, not an easy listen though.
John Fullbright: he's back, baby! After eight years, he returns with some cracking piano led songs. Exceptional.
The Vacant Lots: synthy, punky, short, enjoyable.
Blue Note Reimagined Vol 2: more covers of songs released on Blue Note done by UK jazz artists. It's a good comp. Includes a cover of 'Harvest Moon', which I guess was covered by someone on Blue Note.
Minimal Schlager: synth pop with female vocals. Very useful.

Album of the week: John Fullbright holds off a strong challenge from Lambchop with Bjork picking up each way dosh for her backers.

Which reminds me. Somewhat belated as I'm working 12 hour days:

Talk Show: an EP. Angryish post-punk. Pretty good.
High Vis: politicised London punks go anthemic, as they do. Quite poppy, one for the lads.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs: starts brilliantly, ends brilliantly, sags in between.
Lambchop: a mix of their older lo-fi stuff and the newer dancing while sitdown autotuned vocals stuff. Really good TBH. Their best in ages.
Dan Lyons & the Tenants: old school indie charmer makes album. It starts out slowly but develops into something modestly raucous.
Titus Andronicus: fun, better than their recent releases but nowhere near what their early albums promised me.
Pixies: probably their best since they returned but still a modest effort relative to albums of yore.
Bjork: very good indeed, not an easy listen though.
John Fullbright: he's back, baby! After eight years, he returns with some cracking piano led songs. Exceptional.
The Vacant Lots: synthy, punky, short, enjoyable.
Blue Note Reimagined Vol 2: more covers of songs released on Blue Note done by UK jazz artists. It's a good comp. Includes a cover of 'Harvest Moon', which I guess was covered by someone on Blue Note.
Minimal Schlager: synth pop with female vocals. Very useful.

Album of the week: John Fullbright holds off a strong challenge from Lambchop with Bjork picking up each way dosh for her backers.

The single from the Bjork track was a very harsh listen. Very few songs I have to switch off but that racket forced me too.

Back