New Music Releases Thread

It's taken me a while to get through this week's new stuff. Anyway...

Marina Allen - following on from the promise of her debut, this is a cracker. Really good, enjoyable, not easily categorisable.
Rina Sawayama - big pop sounds, very good indeed.
Gogol Bordello - gypsy punk sounds as always. Good songs, you'd not know whether it was an early or late Gogol Bordello album.
Suede - their much vaunted punk/post-punk album. Quality songs. Their return continues to go well.
The Proclaimers - their umpteenth album. It's good, folky pop.
Mark Peters - shoegazey stuff from the Engineers man. Its a little like Ulrich Schnauss, who he's often worked with. Very good.
Jesca Hoop - quirky, folky singer songwriter pop. Somewhere between Newsom and Spektor.
Death Cab For Cutie - it's a very good DCFC album, one of their best.
Crack Cloud - as mentioned above, probably not quite up to their debut. Still great fun and excellent.
The Mars Volta - technically brilliant but, on early listening, I'm not getting much fun/joy.
The Beths - good songs, grungey pop. A fun album.
The Black Angels - pysch rock, as expected. It clops along at a relentless pace. Up with their better albums.
The Harlem Gospel Travelers - really good. Gospel flecked vintage soul. Forget the religion and it's a cracking album.
No Age - they sometimes make some cracking alt rockstompers and sometimes tend toward the more experimental. This is more toward the latter but still has some good tunes.
Young Jesus - gentle folk, stonking tech bangers, weird quirkiness all in half an hour. Really good.
Al-Qasar - a hybrid of desert rock and indie rock. Terrific, all in all.
The Murlocs - more from the mates of King Gizzard. They continue to be like a slightly more normal Gizzard. Tis good.
Whitney - they've now settled into their country-soul falsetto vocalled thing for a couple of albums now. Decent.
The A's - quirky quirkiness. Two thirds of Mountain Man making a mix of country, doo-wap. Includes a song from Popeye (the movie). Magic.
Parekh & Singh - India's premier purveyors of sophisticated indie-pop return with an album of Satanic metal, motorik techno and dark Scandinavian folk. Not really, it's sophisticated indie-pop and is very good.

Album of the week: Al-Qasar is the one I'll keep leaping back to. Harlem Gospel Travelers get a special mention as do The A's and Young Jesus.

There are new releases tomorrow from Alex G, Arkells (nothing to do with me), Christine & the Queens, Editors, Lande Hekt, Makaya McCraven, Peter Matthew Bauer, Razor, The Comet Is Coming, The Soft Moon, The Tallest Man On Earth, Tim Burgess, Vieux Farka Toure & Khruangbin, WILLOW, Buzzcocks, Chris Canterbury, Dr John, Nils Frahm, Beth Orton, Marisa Anderson, Jake Blount, End of the Road's "Between the Music" compilation and Sports Team.

Edit: Looks like the Christine & the Queens album is out in November.

Last edited:
@James how were Kiwi jr? I couldn’t be arsed in the end. GY!BE were ruddy marvellous. Loud. And marvellous
There are new releases tomorrow from Alex G, Arkells (nothing to do with me), Christine & the Queens, Editors, Lande Hekt, Makaya McCraven, Peter Matthew Bauer, Razor, The Comet Is Coming, The Soft Moon, The Tallest Man On Earth, Tim Burgess, Vieux Farka Toure & Khruangbin, WILLOW, Buzzcocks, Chris Canterbury, Dr John, Nils Frahm, Beth Orton, Marisa Anderson, Jake Blount, End of the Road's "Between the Music" compilation and Sports Team.

Enjoyed the last Lande Hekt album so that. And the Comet is Coming. And Nils Frahm. And Toure and Khruangbin. And Alex G

Last edited:

Lande Hekt for me also - I think I preordered it but I lose track and things just turn up months later. After that, probably Editors next (curious to hear what they sound like now that Blanck Mass has joined) and Beth O for old times' sake. Anything spare, probably give Sports Team a go and maybe Arkells.

Lande Hekt for me also - I think I preordered it but I lose track and things just turn up months later. After that, probably Editors next (curious to hear what they sound like now that Blanck Mass has joined) and Beth O for old times' sake. Anything spare, probably give Sports Team a go and maybe Arkells.

I didn't know that about Editors. Never been a fan really but might give it a listen.

I missed Courting's debut from the list, and Nikki Lane's. There's also an Iceage rareities and outtakes comp. There's also a Mark Owen album apparently, but we shall never speak of that again.

@James how were Kiwi jr? I couldn’t be arsed in the end. GY!BE were ruddy marvellous. Loud. And marvellous

Enjoyed the last Lande Hekt album so that. And the Comet is Coming. And Nils Frahm. And Toure and Khruangbin. And Alex G
Very good mate, they're such a fun band. The latest record has been completely wedged into my brain for weeks now! Astrel K was cracking the other day too at the Lexington.

Think my next one is Jockstrap, then I've booked up for Crack Cloud, caroline and Martha.

Looking forward to hearing Alex G and Khruangbin today.

Very good mate, they're such a fun band. The latest record has been completely wedged into my brain for weeks now! Astrel K was cracking the other day too at the Lexington.

Think my next one is Jockstrap, then I've booked up for Crack Cloud, caroline and Martha.

Looking forward to hearing Alex G and Khruangbin today.
Caroline at earth? I’m booked for that one

Saw them at electric picnic couple of weeks ago, absolutely brilliant
Wasnt at the picnic this year and never been so glad to miss a festival as I was when listening to the rain at home on that Saturday night!!
Saw then in porto in June though and they were excellent, festivals in the sun the only way to go!

Wasnt at the picnic this year and never been so glad to miss a festival as I was when listening to the rain at home on that Saturday night!!
Saw then in porto in June though and they were excellent, festivals in the sun the only way to go!
Pissed it down every night but my tent held out! Fred Again was excellent as well

I missed Courting's debut from the list, and Nikki Lane's.
Nikki Lane is very good, Lande Hekt and Khruangbin also on my list.

I’m off to see Laura Stevenson tomorrow so have also been trying to binge her back catalogue again this week. I tend to listen to Sit/Resist, Cocksure and S/T pretty regularly but haven’t listened to the other 3 albums in ages.

Nikki Lane is very good, Lande Hekt and Khruangbin also on my list.

I’m off to see Laura Stevenson tomorrow so have also been trying to binge her back catalogue again this week. I tend to listen to Sit/Resist, Cocksure and S/T pretty regularly but haven’t listened to the other 3 albums in ages.
Very jealous - would love to see her "back home." Tried to get my sister to go to the Leeds show, but she's away this week. Odd there are no NE shows. I think she's coming back here to do some fall shows but haven't seen an official listing yet. Enjoy and let me know how it is.

Courtney Barnett covering Words and Guitar - First track from the Sleater-Kinney approved covers album of Dig Me Out (called Dig Me In) out in Oct - other artists incl St Vincent, Wilco, Margo Price, Jason Isbell, Low, Linda Lindas, and Self Esteem

Last edited:
Very jealous - would love to see her "back home." Tried to get my sister to go to the Leeds show, but she's away this week. Odd there are no NE shows. I think she's coming back here to do some fall shows but haven't seen an official listing yet. Enjoy and let me know how it is.
She was excellent, as was Katie Malco (whose voice live sounded much better than on her album). My only complaint is not enough songs from “Sit/Resist” or Cocksure (none from the latter) but I guess that’s understandable as the better songs from those albums (like “Healthy One” and “Torch Song”) really need a full band rather than just LS and her guitar.

She was excellent, as was Katie Malco (whose voice live sounded much better than on her album). My only complaint is not enough songs from “Sit/Resist” or Cocksure (none from the latter) but I guess that’s understandable as the better songs from those albums (like “Healthy One” and “Torch Song”) really need a full band rather than just LS and her guitar.
Excellent! She’s so engaging live. Didn’t realize it was completely solo - I guess Mike is at home with the bairn. Last couple of times we’ve seen her she’s played Torch Song and Jellyfish but it’s been full band, so I can understand the disappointment. That Katie Malco album was excellent, you had a great two-fer with that ticket.

LS is one of the best live voices I’ve heard, perfect. I owe Frank T - saw her solo supporting him at a hardcore club in NYC and she’s probably my favorite artist now. Glad you enjoyed. 👍

Back