New Music Releases Thread

The weekly one line (ish) review... quite a lot to get through:

Fucked Up: the Canadian hardcore types who'd never get on Top of the Pops return with an EP. It's good. Maybe, a bit more theatrical than some of their releases.
Soccer96: this actually came out in May but I missed it. Decent enough danceable tunes from 2/3 of The Comet Is Coming.
The Bobby Lees: raucous, rollicking and generally excellent. A few tracks were on their most recent EP.
Indigo Sparke: very good. Introspective singer songwriter stuff, superb tunes.
Will Sheff: solo debut from the Okkervil River singer, sounds a lot like Okkervil River, if I'm honest.
The Orielles: not a band I'd taken much notice of but the new album is very good. A bit dream-poppy at it's heart and quite experimental.
Loraine James: another good solid album of laidback electronica from the composer/producer. She's a talent.
Broken Bells: Danger Mouse and The Shines bloke doing what they do and doing it quite well. Not world changing.
Courtney Marie Andrews: a quality album of Americana. Excellent songs.
Alvvays: damned to being quite good. This is a very listenable album of indiepop.
Pete Astor: really, really good. Reminds me a lot of some of Luke Haines' solo stuff.
Johanna Warren: grungey singer-songwriter. Good songs and a good (I think) debut.
Bonny Light Horseman: their second album is composed, largely, of original songs. It's exceptionally good folk rock.
Daphni: hasn't grabbed me much but it goes along at a fair lick so good for walking to.
Dungen: Scandinavian prog-rockers get a lttile bit more electronic and also a little more folk. Very good.
Gilla Band: abrasive and relentless, this reminds me a little of Liars. Not the easiest listen.
Keiji Haino & SUMAC: the Japanese experimental guitarist is joined by the post-metal supergroup SUMAC for an album which, TBH, makes Gilla Band sound like The Field Mice.
Sorry: pretty good as usual. Shared male/female vocals, interesting ideas.
Easy Life: laidback ruminations on British life, sort of slacker danceable. Pretty good.
Princess Chelsea: some synthpop. some dreampop, some more straightforward guitar based stuff. Engaging throughout.
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard: on early listening, one of their more low key jazz influenced albums. We'll see what's to come.
AA Williams: quite a traditional dark, rock singersongwriter album. Almost goth but not quite.

Album of the week: Pete Astor snatches it from Indigo Sparke, The Orielles and The Bobby Lees. TBH, the latter would be very close if it weren't for the repeated material from the last EP.

The weekly one line (ish) review... quite a lot to get through:

Fucked Up: the Canadian hardcore types who'd never get on Top of the Pops return with an EP. It's good. Maybe, a bit more theatrical than some of their releases.
Soccer96: this actually came out in May but I missed it. Decent enough danceable tunes from 2/3 of The Comet Is Coming.
The Bobby Lees: raucous, rollicking and generally excellent. A few tracks were on their most recent EP.
Indigo Sparke: very good. Introspective singer songwriter stuff, superb tunes.
Will Sheff: solo debut from the Okkervil River singer, sounds a lot like Okkervil River, if I'm honest.
The Orielles: not a band I'd taken much notice of but the new album is very good. A bit dream-poppy at it's heart and quite experimental.
Loraine James: another good solid album of laidback electronica from the composer/producer. She's a talent.
Broken Bells: Danger Mouse and The Shines bloke doing what they do and doing it quite well. Not world changing.
Courtney Marie Andrews: a quality album of Americana. Excellent songs.
Alvvays: damned to being quite good. This is a very listenable album of indiepop.
Pete Astor: really, really good. Reminds me a lot of some of Luke Haines' solo stuff.
Johanna Warren: grungey singer-songwriter. Good songs and a good (I think) debut.
Bonny Light Horseman: their second album is composed, largely, of original songs. It's exceptionally good folk rock.
Daphni: hasn't grabbed me much but it goes along at a fair lick so good for walking to.
Dungen: Scandinavian prog-rockers get a lttile bit more electronic and also a little more folk. Very good.
Gilla Band: abrasive and relentless, this reminds me a little of Liars. Not the easiest listen.
Keiji Haino & SUMAC: the Japanese experimental guitarist is joined by the post-metal supergroup SUMAC for an album which, TBH, makes Gilla Band sound like The Field Mice.
Sorry: pretty good as usual. Shared male/female vocals, interesting ideas.
Easy Life: laidback ruminations on British life, sort of slacker danceable. Pretty good.
Princess Chelsea: some synthpop. some dreampop, some more straightforward guitar based stuff. Engaging throughout.
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard: on early listening, one of their more low key jazz influenced albums. We'll see what's to come.
AA Williams: quite a traditional dark, rock singersongwriter album. Almost goth but not quite.

Album of the week: Pete Astor snatches it from Indigo Sparke, The Orielles and The Bobby Lees. TBH, the latter would be very close if it weren't for the repeated material from the last EP.
might have to investigate pete astor- would you say any weather prophet type tune in there ? eg almost prayed ?

Think gilla band is a great record, I’ve been after summit new and that abrasive for the last few months so it’s ticked all the boxes for me

Courtney Marie Andrews, as always, is a lovely album.
Remember when me and my mate saw her supporting somebody at The Cluny and saying we were seeing somebody special.
However we've said that a few times only for the artist to disappear without a trace.

There are new albums this week from King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard (the album with 2 tracks exactly 15 mins long, think it's out already), AO Gerber, Alaskalaska, Bill Callahan, Boston Manor, Brian Eno, Julianna Riolino, Lil Baby, M.I.A., Mykki Blanco, Plains (Katie Crutchfield and Jess Williamson), PVA, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Skullcrusher, The 1975, The Big Moon, Todd Rundgren, Tove Lo, Wild Pink, Steve Queralt & Michael Smith, The Nightingales, Logan Farmer, Black Lips, Lyndon Morgans, Liraz, Lightning Seeds, The Unthanks, Alela Diane and Kutiman.

Grave Goods album is pretty good. Post punky (grave) goodness
There are new albums this week from King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard (the album with 2 tracks exactly 15 mins long, think it's out already), AO Gerber, Alaskalaska, Bill Callahan, Boston Manor, Brian Eno, Julianna Riolino, Lil Baby, M.I.A., Mykki Blanco, Plains (Katie Crutchfield and Jess Williamson), PVA, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Skullcrusher, The 1975, The Big Moon, Todd Rundgren, Tove Lo, Wild Pink, Steve Queralt & Michael Smith, The Nightingales, Logan Farmer, Black Lips, Lyndon Morgans, Liraz, Lightning Seeds, The Unthanks, Alela Diane and Kutiman.
Oh and Callahan, Gerber, Wild Pink and Skullcrusher. And probably Unthanks

Last edited:
Grave Goods album is pretty good. Post punky (grave) goodness

Oh and Callahan, Gerber, Wild Pink and Skullcrusher. And probably Unthanks

I think Plains could be the one to watch (and Callahan, of course). Uncut loved Eno and all the Gizzard albums but they tend to, on both counts. I'm intrigued by the Steve Queralt thing. Ride's bassist making music for a poet to do spoken word over.

Probably Unthanks and Plains over here. Is that the "old" Nightingales (80s)? If so, I'll give that a go. Grave Good sounds like it might be up my alley. And obviously I'm all over the Patrick Van Aanholt album (is it a bit left field...?)!

Mightmare (Sarah Shook’s solo indie-pop/indie-rock project) is out today as well.

Anyone have a useful site which shows all new releases on Spotify? Their in app new releases section is extremely limited to say the least. This used to be brilliant but doesn't seem to be active anymore http://www.spotifynewmusic.com
Anyone have a useful site which shows all new releases on Spotify? Their in app new releases section is extremely limited to say the least. This used to be brilliant but doesn't seem to be active anymore http://www.spotifynewmusic.com
Nah. I just use @Arkle

Stars At Noon Original Soundtrack by Tindersticks for the Claire Denis film is out digitally today. Only the title track has vocals.
Bad Sisters Original Series Soundtrack by PJ Harvey & Tim Phillips was also released digitally today.

Last edited:

Back