New Music Releases Thread

Got this on just now and I’m enjoying it a lot. I’m a big fan of the Roots but never really properly got into Danger Mouse’s stuff.
Apart from DangerDoom - The Mouse & The Mask I don’t really bother with Danger Mouse either. This new one with Black Thought reminds me a bit of that Marlowe album from a few years back which I really liked as well.

Right, a long train journey yesterday means I've listened to all of the new stuff I intend to listen to this week, alongside having a diversion into listening to the uber extended version of Pavement's "Slanted and Enchanted" (which isn't new so won't be listed below):

Boris: Japanese art-metal. This is their 28th album and their third titled "Heavy Rocks". It's good.
Coach Party: I think this is their second or third EP. It was out digitally a while back and now has a physical release. Spiky female fronted Brit indie rock. File under promising.
Danger Mouse & Black Thought: quality production and quality rhymes. One of the better hiphop albums of the year?
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom: this is pretty wonderful. Closest comparison I'd make is "Merriweather Post Pavilion" only this is a bit poppier.
Kiwi jr: a pretty good North American indie guitar album. They've lost a little of their Pavementisms.
Osees: fierce, short, fun!
Sylvan Esso: glitchy electro pop. Some very good songs, not sure what the short interlude tracks add (aside from one of them having the album title).
Been Stellar: the debut EP from a band who're getting a lot of press. It's excellent. Think a melding of early Strokes with Sonic Youth and you're part way there.
Will Joseph Cook: recommended by Rough Trade shops. This is a terrific summer pop album. "Gummy", in particular, is a proper earworm.
Kamikaze Palm Tree: an all female duo making records that are almost pop and almost weird. Mates of John Dwyer, apparently. Band name of the week!

Album of the week: Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, followed by Osees, Sylvan Esso and Will Joseph Cook. Been Stellar may be better than all of them but it's an EP so not eligible (in saying that, Osees' album is the same length).

Right, a long train journey yesterday means I've listened to all of the new stuff I intend to listen to this week, alongside having a diversion into listening to the uber extended version of Pavement's "Slanted and Enchanted" (which isn't new so won't be listed below):

Boris: Japanese art-metal. This is their 28th album and their third titled "Heavy Rocks". It's good.
Coach Party: I think this is their second or third EP. It was out digitally a while back and now has a physical release. Spiky female fronted Brit indie rock. File under promising.
Danger Mouse & Black Thought: quality production and quality rhymes. One of the better hiphop albums of the year?
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom: this is pretty wonderful. Closest comparison I'd make is "Merriweather Post Pavilion" only this is a bit poppier.
Kiwi jr: a pretty good North American indie guitar album. They've lost a little of their Pavementisms.
Sylvan Esso: glitchy electro pop. Some very good songs, not sure what the short interlude tracks add (aside from one of them having the album title).
Been Stellar: the debut EP from a band who're getting a lot of press. It's excellent. Think a melding of early Strokes with Sonic Youth and you're part way there.
Will Joseph Cook: recommended by Rough Trade shops. This is a terrific summer pop album. "Gummy", in particular, is a proper earworm.
Kamikaze Palm Tree: an all female duo making records that are almost pop and almost weird. Mates of John Dwyer, apparently. Band name of the week!

Album of the week: Panda Bear & Sonic Boom, followed by Osees, Sylvan Esso and Will Joseph Cook. Been Stellar may be better than all of them but it's an EP so not eligible (in saying that, Osees' album is the same length).
Looking forward to hearing Panda Bear & Sonic Boom. Will give Been Stellar a listen too as you mention Sonic Youth in your description. Been down a CAN rabbit hole the last two weeks. Fantastic band but definitely not new music!

Last edited:
We're starting to get out of the summer release slump. New albums tomorrow from Cass McCombs, Demi Lovato, Hot Chip, Loudon Wainwright III, Marketa Inglova, Panic! At The Disco, Royksopp, Silversun Pickups, The Mountain Goats, Tall Dwarfs (a career spanning box set), Why Bonnie, Blacklab, Lera Lynn and LIFE.

Just stumbled across a release from last week by a band called Heavy Gus. Apparently it involves members of the Lumineers and Blind Pilot but is much more of an indie-rock/indie-pop record. Enjoying it.

We're starting to get out of the summer release slump. New albums tomorrow from Cass McCombs, Demi Lovato, Hot Chip, Loudon Wainwright III, Marketa Inglova, Panic! At The Disco, Royksopp, Silversun Pickups, The Mountain Goats, Tall Dwarfs (a career spanning box set), Why Bonnie, Blacklab, Lera Lynn and LIFE.

Phoebe Green album out tomorrow

Was the support on the entire Self Esteem tour recently

Osees bangs or slaps or some other youthful word
I listened to the album and it isn't for me. The word I would use was dreadful and tuneless. There isn't a chance anyone over the age of 19 would find that interesting, surely? Could not hear one redeeming thing.
The one redeeming feature. Short

Trying Dangermouse now

Last edited:

Back