New Music Releases Thread

Dead Modern - Not "new" as such, but from last November and I can't see mention on here. Stumbled across this EP today - '80s synth nostalgia side project of the singer of Glasgow's There Will Be Fireworks (my most frustrating band - waiting for nearly 10 years for an album and they refuse to say they've split. I check up on them every 6 months or so :rolleyes:)

There are new releases this week from Amanda Shires, Beyonce, Maggie Rogers, NAV. OF Montreal, Jemma Coulter, Robb Johnson & the Irregulars, Tracey Curtis, Wilder Maker, Friendship, The Explorers Club and Andrew Tuttle.
Tallies - they did one of my faves from a couple of years back so I’ll give that a listen (Canadian Sundays-inspired dream pop)

Last edited:
New Leftfield single out yesterday with album to follow later this year which is great news.

Also, just going to drop in I'm really impressed with the new Paulo Nutini record.

Also, just going to drop in I'm really impressed with the new Paulo Nutini record.
I said similar a few weeks back. It’s very good. Thought his last one was pretty crap so obviously the 8 years out has done him good.

Completely shocked that he’s sold out 4 nights at the Hydro, like. I saw him supposedly at his “peak” (touring “Sunny Side Up”) in Dundee Caird Hall which holds about 2,000 people.
There are new releases this week from Amanda Shires, Beyonce, Maggie Rogers, NAV. OF Montreal, Jemma Coulter, Robb Johnson & the Irregulars, Tracey Curtis, Wilder Maker, Friendship, The Explorers Club and Andrew Tuttle.
Amanda Shires for me. Dune Rats have a new one out as well for anyone of a pop-punk meets psych-rock persuasion (although there was no psych rock at all on their last one).

Last edited:
black midi are probably the strangest band I've heard and they remain a big dilemma for me. I find their music hard going but impressive. Their Glastonbury set was fascinating. Of their 3 albums this new record is probably my favourite but I still can't say wholeheartedly I enjoy them.

Chin scratching self indulgence for me like. Not a fan
Quite enjoying Elanor Moss EP

Playing deershed this weekend. Looking at the splits it'd between her and honeyglaze iirc which is more in the good fun pop so I'll probably aim for her

Last edited:
For a minute there I thought you had finally done it - a week of releases from artists I've never heard of. Then I re-scanned and.....Beyonce

I said similar a few weeks back. It’s very good. Thought his last one was pretty crap so obviously the 8 years out has done him good.

Completely shocked that he’s sold out 4 nights at the Hydro, like. I saw him supposedly at his “peak” (touring “Sunny Side Up”) in Dundee Caird Hall which holds about 2,000 people.

Amanda Shires for me. Dune Rats have a new one out as well for anyone of a pop-punk meets psych-rock persuasion (although there was no psych rock at all on their last one).

I think the long hiatus has probably made people miss him more. Plus its a home town gig and they love him in Glasgow. I think this record has allowed him to release the record he's wanted too and not expected by the record label. I really like it.

I think the long hiatus has probably made people miss him more. Plus its a home town gig and they love him in Glasgow. I think this record has allowed him to release the record he's wanted too and not expected by the record label. I really like it.
The last one contained Iron Sky, however… which is an absolutely tremendous tune. I’m not a fan of his either, but that is a thing of brilliance.

New stuff I've listened to over the last few days. Not the busiest week:

Amanda Shires: a very good album of Americana.
Jemima Coulter: excellent. A little bit early Bon Iver maybe. A new name to me.
Friendship: on the junction of Americana and indie rock. I like this a lot.
Andrew Tuttle: ambient Americana. Banjo led, lots of pedal steel. A very good album.
Of Montreal: Bonkers, basically, as is their thing. A pretty good Of Montreal album, ultimately.
The Explorers Club: A pastiche of 60s US radio with covers of songs you've probably heard but can't remember who the original artist was.
Wilder Maker: indie rock, decent but not spectacular.
DC Gore: synthy proper pop. I like this. Part Pet Shop Boys, part Jarvis.
Josh Rouse: he seems to have lost the Latin influences of the last few albums. This is a good album of poppy singer-songwriter stuff. Lyrically excellent as always.

Album of the week: Jemima Coulter.

Jack White has been my listening for the last couple of weeks. Fear of the Dawn is brilliant - musical genius.

Back