New Music Releases Thread

Anyone heard that Cola record yet? Singer from Ought's new band. I've just clocked that they're actually playing Pop Recs on Sunday night and I'm in town so might have to get involved.

Anyone heard that Cola record yet? Singer from Ought's new band. I've just clocked that they're actually playing Pop Recs on Sunday night and I'm in town so might have to get involved.

I gave it a one line review earlier in the thread. I'd probably like it more if I hadn't heard Ought's first couple of albums.

Anyway, that leads on nicely to my weekly review:

Heilung: the young upstarts of the Germano-Scandi dark folk scene. Operatic vocals, throat singing, German spoken word stuff, lots of space, the world's oldest song (allegedly). It's weird but great!
Royksopp: the other half of the album they released earlier in the year. Laidback electronica with an occasional pop sense. Decent.
Hot Chip: no great evolutions here. There are some good songs but I probably won't look back at this as my favourite album by the Chippers in years to come.
Lera Lynn: this is good. She's widened her vista from alt-country to something that's still that but also more. Good songs.
Cass McCombs: terrific songs washed in some sort of psych-tropicalia melty thing. Exceptional!
Asi Asi: Mexican alt-rock. Pretty good, doesn't outstay its welcome at only 30 minutes long.
Lee Bains & the Glory Fire: proper Southern (US) rock. This album seems born to be played live. Some tremendous songs.
LIFE: taut and wiry, incredibly enjoyable post-punk. They're very good. Minor minus point for describing Hull as a north east coastal town.
Blacklab: a Japanese stoner/doom metal band. Cracking album even without Laetitia Sadier from Stereolab popping uo to do lead vocals on one track. That's one of the best songs I've heard all year.
Why Bonnie: female fronted indie rock from the US. Like Big Thief but not as good. Still pretty decent.
Loudon Wainwright III: he's an exceptional songwriter. There's wit, wisdom and simplicity here. Really good!
The Mountain Goats: one of their more full on, up beat, rocky albums. It's good.
SRSQ: a many spindled goth-shoegaze type thing. I'm liking this a lot.
Phoebe Green: an impressive album of modern alt-pop. Seems like it's lacking a proper banging anthem then "Leach" pops up near the end. She won't make geese stand on their heads but still very good.
Russian Circles: toward the rockier end of post-rock, as I've come to expect from them. A couple of tracks have shimmery Explosions in the Sky vibe to them though. Very good!

Album of the week: Cass McCombs as it's up with the year's best. Strong competition from Heilung, Lee Bains, LIFE, Blacklab, Loudon, The Mountain Goats, SRSQ, Febo Grebo (as nobody is calling her) and Russian Circles in a good week.

The last weekend in August brings new releases from Bret McKenzie, Butch Walker, DJ Khaled, Ezra Furman, Julia Jacklin, Meechy Darko, Muse, Pantha du Prince, Pianos Become the Teeth, Selena, Stella Donnelly, Valerie June (a covers collection), Ragawerk, Yanna Momina, Jacken Elswyth, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Altered Images.

The last weekend in August brings new releases from Bret McKenzie, Butch Walker, DJ Khaled, Ezra Furman, Julia Jacklin, Meechy Darko, Muse, Pantha du Prince, Pianos Become the Teeth, Selena, Stella Donnelly, Valerie June (a covers collection), Ragawerk, Yanna Momina, Jacken Elswyth, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Altered Images.
Maybe Julia Jacklin? Struggling after that. Maybe Bret M, though if it really is without jokes, I’m not sure how appealing that will be.

Back