New Music Releases Thread

Anyone got any recommendations for interesting music docs? Either a series or just a one off individual doc, not fussed.

Been burning through quite a lot over the last couple of weeks through boredom. Watched one last night called The Making of Motown which was a gem, caught me a bit by surprise.
I’m not sure how readily available it is (I got it through a serial downloader friend with his own Plex server), but this is very good:

Might have to look that one up myself. Got the Prefects compilation album that came out last year - thanks for the recommendation

A couple of multi-parters - The 7 Ages of Rock (think it was a British show, BBC?) and Punk from a couple of years ago - think it was a 4-parter (John Varvatos). Future Is Unwritten (Clash). Loud Quiet Loud (Pixies)

Couple of good Scottish ones about the indie scene up there - Big Gold Dreams (the early stuff - post card recs, fast product etc) and Teenage Superstars (the later 80s/90s scene Teenage Fanclub, Soup Dragons, Vaselines)

The missus says there's one about the last indie record store on Teesside :eek: Not seen it

One about vinyl obsessives - we think it's called something like I Need That Record

The Teesside one was called Sound It Out about a shop in Stockton, was on BBC4 a while back

Really enjoying this CYHSY record.

Didn't enjoy the Virginia Wing record which is a bit of a shame as I've liked the last couple. I'll give it another go later.

That Azmari record is topper @Arkle. Etheopian jazz influenced, reminds me of Mulatu Astatke.

Anyone got any recommendations for interesting music docs? Either a series or just a one off individual doc, not fussed.

Been burning through quite a lot over the last couple of weeks through boredom. Watched one last night called The Making of Motown which was a gem, caught me a bit by surprise.
I don’t know where you’d find it but when I was in America a few years ago on Netflix they had the documentary that was about LCD Soundsytem’s last performance. If you can that was excellent IMO
Really enjoyed the new Slowthai album. It's basically split in two, first half being probably what you'd expect and the second half being more introspective.

Yeah listened through once last night and I loved it. Definitely getting a few listens from me but definitely agree about the split.

edit; I think the Mount Kimbie and James Blake influence on the record is clear - the second half at least. The song they do together is wonderful.

Last edited:
My usual weekly round up of new and newish things I've listened to over the weekend:

Mason Lindahl - folky/neo-classical guitar instrumentals. An interesting diversion.
Django Django - sounds very like a, er, Django Django album. When its good, its excellent, a couple of tracks are a bit pedestrian though.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - very good, probably their best album since their debut. Doesn't deviate from the norm too much, just better songs than on some of their albums.
Anna B Savage - I like this. Gothic tinges and a lot of dramaticism. She's got a powerful voice.
Aerial East - exceptionally good. Very delicate but the album varies a lot from indieish pop to folk. Recommended!
Mush - well this is top notch. I guess it gets classified as post-punk. The singer's part Malkmus, part Dylan, part Mark E Smith vocals will no doubt annoy some. Interesting and inventive right through.
slowthai - it's good. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's an album of two halves with the first being louder/angrier and the second more introspective
Virginia Wing - not sure this quite hits the heights of some earlier releases. It's still decent, nice synthpop with pristine vocals. Just not sure the hooks are there.
Emmanuel Parrenin & Detlef Weinrich - interesting, experimental, a bit trippy.Maybe it pushes the arthouse, difficult listening thing a bit far at times.
Sun June - drifting, laidback indie Americana. Quite Mazzy Star sounding. Worth a listen...

Album of the week: a tie between Aerial East and Mush

Dig! is excellent.

As is "some kind of monster" the Metallica doc whether or not you are a fan of metallica. It is unintentionally hilarious!

My usual weekly round up of new and newish things I've listened to over the weekend:

Mason Lindahl - folky/neo-classical guitar instrumentals. An interesting diversion.
Django Django - sounds very like a, er, Django Django album. When its good, its excellent, a couple of tracks are a bit pedestrian though.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - very good, probably their best album since their debut. Doesn't deviate from the norm too much, just better songs than on some of their albums.
Anna B Savage - I like this. Gothic tinges and a lot of dramaticism. She's got a powerful voice.
Aerial East - exceptionally good. Very delicate but the album varies a lot from indieish pop to folk. Recommended!
Mush - well this is top notch. I guess it gets classified as post-punk. The singer's part Malkmus, part Dylan, part Mark E Smith vocals will no doubt annoy some. Interesting and inventive right through.
slowthai - it's good. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's an album of two halves with the first being louder/angrier and the second more introspective
Virginia Wing - not sure this quite hits the heights of some earlier releases. It's still decent, nice synthpop with pristine vocals. Just not sure the hooks are there.
Emmanuel Parrenin & Detlef Weinrich - interesting, experimental, a bit trippy.Maybe it pushes the arthouse, difficult listening thing a bit far at times.
Sun June - drifting, laidback indie Americana. Quite Mazzy Star sounding. Worth a listen...

Album of the week: a tie between Aerial East and Mush
Going to disagree on Mush. Saw them live a few years ago now and thought they would be good, they are so bland

Aerial East is a good recommendation however

New releases this week from Ghetts, Julia Stone (according to metacritic, although Amazon reckon March 26th), Mogwai. SG Lewis, The Fall (a live album from 1981), The Hold Steady, Wild Pink, Lael Neale, Chuck Johnson, Cassandra Jenkins and Tindersticks.

Low in numbers but high quality for me.
It’s all about Mogwai for me Jeff

and the Fall, Hold Steady and Wild Pink.

Wasn’t aware of the Low colouring in concept album but will give that a shot too

It’s all about Mogwai for me Jeff

and the Fall, Hold Steady and Wild Pink.

Wasn’t aware of the Low colouring in concept album but will give that a shot too

I have bo idea what the Low colouring in concept album is. Do you have a title?

All of the above for me anyway plus Lael Neale, Tindersticks and, particularly, Cassandra Jenkins.

New releases this week from Ghetts, Julia Stone (according to metacritic, although Amazon reckon March 26th), Mogwai. SG Lewis, The Fall (a live album from 1981), The Hold Steady, Wild Pink, Lael Neale, Chuck Johnson, Cassandra Jenkins and Tindersticks.

Low in numbers but high quality for me.
The Holdsteady, Tindersticks and NOFX (unlisted because Fat Wreck Chords don’t appear on Metacritic for some reason) for me

Back