New Music Releases Thread

Listened to new album by Cold Beat who have just signed to the always excellent DFA records.
the drums are very Martin Hannett sounding, new wave synths and female vocals.

definitely worth a listen if that’s your thing

Listened to new album by Cold Beat who have just signed to the always excellent DFA records.
the drums are very Martin Hannett sounding, new wave synths and female vocals.

definitely worth a listen if that’s your thing

Looking forward to earing this. It got a cracking review in last month's Uncut.

I like DFA, one of those labels that has a defined identity.
Aye, one I missed from my round up. Also, albums by Grimm Grimm, Kevin Krauter and Sound of Yell. Oh and The Orioles second album.

That should be The Orielles.

Last edited:

That should be The Orielles.

I love this band. Looking forward to getting the album on.

yeah enjoyed first listen. Agree with DFA, you know what you’re getting. As soon as I saw it was them who put it out I was keen to listen.

have they ever been anything but ?

No imo. Also found The Orielles drab.

Enjoyed Caribou on first spin. Ravi is a banger.
I've just seen that Dry Cleaning are now playing the Electric Brixton as well. They are going up at some rate of knots. Every time they sell out a venue the next, bigger one goes on sale. It's like you can physically watch them levelling up like a video game. :lol:

Gone from back of pubs (Shacklewell Arms), above pubs (The Lexington), to the Village Underground and now this within about a year. Quite the rise. Still not sure how their sound will work in bigger venues but fair play, they're doing bloody well.

Last edited:
Also worth checking out the two albums he recorded as Manitoba before "Handsome Dick" Manitoba of The Dictators sued over the name.
Former landlord of my favourite NYC pub, which sadly closed last year.

Will likely give Real Estate a listen. They're a local band and me and the missus have seen them a few times. We class them as "nice." Nothing offensive about the sound but nothing to get the pulses racing either. I'll expect this to be perfectly ok to listen to without quite veering into bland...

'The Story of Ian Prowse' was released today which covers releases when in Pele and Amsterdam as well as his solo career with an additional new track. Starting his support slot on the Elvis Costello tour tonight and playing a solo gig at The Peacock on 15th May.

No imo. Also found The Orielles drab.

Enjoyed Caribou on first spin. Ravi is a banger.
I've just seen that Dry Cleaning are now playing the Electric Brixton as well. They are going up at some rate of knots. Every time they sell out a venue the next, bigger one goes on sale. It's like you can physically watch them levelling up like a video game. :lol:

Gone from back of pubs (Shacklewell Arms), above pubs (The Lexington), to the Village Underground and now this within about a year. Quite the rise. Still not sure how their sound will work in bigger venues but fair play, they're doing bloody well.

Dry Cleaning signed a massive deal with one of the best labels around recently by all accounts. It’ll be announced soon.

Will always remember a mate of mine shouting “it’s like watching the f***ing undatables this shite!” in front of their manager at their Moth Club gig. The look on both their faces...

Saying it again,

In a day with good releases from Caribou and Sink ya teeth, Cold Beat is the best album I’ve listened to today.

saving the new Wrangler album for tonight.

Never heard of them, but just read a couple of impressive reviews. That's my Sunday listening sorted, cheers.

neither had I mate until I read the weekly Staff picks reviews on Piccadilly records website !
Aye apparently all the reviews are praising it.

Just been listening to Juniores latest effort. Think I will give it a few blasts as I liked it on first listen.

Last edited:

Back