New Music Releases Thread

The innocence mission, vocals remind me of the Sunday’s, it’s a keeper, love it.
If you like the Sundays and haven't given Tallies a go, give it a listen - a couple of tracks could be straight off RW&A. One of my faves of last year.

New and pretty Diet Cig track, Night Terrors, out today on the various platforms (well, I see it's on Bandcamp and Spotify)

Enjoyed bonny light horsemen too. Do they know what bonny means in the states?
I've never heard it used (been here 20 years) in the traditional NE way. There are a couple of nearby landmarks, a school and a local road, that use the Scottish - called Bonnie Brae, but that's as close as I've seen. Doesn't mean the meaning isn't known, I guess, and especially in folk circles, like this lot - I'm sure there are plenty of old songs with bonny/bonnie in the title/lyrics. It's a pretty album.

Been battling through both winter lurgy and a big pile of new to newish releases over the past 3 or 4 days. The lurgy's awful, the new releases:

Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Tom Waits - a compilation which does what it says on the tin, Tom Waits covers by female artists. The artists tend toward country/folk types. Mostly good, the odd track isn't reinvented enough.
Wolf Parade - the fifth, I think, album from the once Canadians. It's pretty good but maybe not up to the level of their first three. Keys and guitars combined and the bloke who does most of the singing sounds like him from Men Without Hats.
Nicolas Godin - sounds a lot like an Air album, unsurprisingly. Pleasant but uninspiring. Contains this week's Alexis Taylor guest vocal on one track.
En Attendant Ana - French indiepop types. Their second or third album. Pretty good, some nice Wedding Present style guitar and a bit of trumpet. A woman sings rather than a Gallic Gedge.
Basic Plumbing - the album that Patrick Doyle, once of Veronica Falls, was working on when he passed away last year. It's more indiepop. Good, worth a listen.
Black Lips - their umpteenth album of vaguely sleazy rock. Well, they've actually gone a bit country this time and consequently sound like the excellent "Prairie Home Invasion" album by Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon. Cautiously recommended.
Bonny Light Horseman - bit of a folk rock supergroup, as I mentioned. Really well done reinterpretations of traditional songs, along with some cracking originals.
Terry Allen and the Panhandle Mystery Band - this week's old timer. Terry Allen's a country rock/outlaw country veteran (he's about 802) and this follows those lines. High quality throughout and highly recommended!
Andy Shauf - really nice singer-songwriter album. Characters appear throughout the album, which I really like.
Wire - effectively in their third incarnation (and well into it now), this is excellent, arguably the best thing they've done this millennium.
Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - a melding of trad Scottish and Indian music as with their previous albums. It's excellent but I'm a fan so would say that.
The Haden Triplets - excellent harmonies, reworkings of trad folk songs. Very good!
Citizen Bravo - reworkings of Ivor Cutler songs by Scottish indie people. Really excellent...
Les Amazones d'Afrique - their second album. Less guest starry than the first and better for it. A potent mix of Afrobeat and more tradtional sounds.
McAlmont & Webb - David McAlmont and a jazz bloke. Some interesting covers (Suede, Radiohead, REM) in a jazz style with McAlmont's soaring vocals. Niche but good!
Torgeir Waldemar - Norwegian beardy, vaguely Neil Youngish, good songs, reminds me a bit of his fellow Norwegian, the late St Thomas, but maybe not quite up there. Still worth checking out if you like Scandicentrics.

Quick one for all the regular contributors. I’m going to Oslo on Saturday, meant to be seeing Liam Gallagher but he cancelled the gig months ago. Was just looking to see if anything was on instead and I’ve noticed Angel Olsen is on. Seen her name mentioned numerous times on here but never listened to her. What kind of artist is she? What’s her best few songs so I can give them a whirl?

Quick one for all the regular contributors. I’m going to Oslo on Saturday, meant to be seeing Liam Gallagher but he cancelled the gig months ago. Was just looking to see if anything was on instead and I’ve noticed Angel Olsen is on. Seen her name mentioned numerous times on here but never listened to her. What kind of artist is she? What’s her best few songs so I can give them a whirl?
She’s awesome

way better than Liam.

start with unfucktheworld

Minority member here in that HF aren't doing it

Me neither on first listen. Too much going on for my tender little ears. No need for some of the sounds they have added. Maybe its music for people with beards who dont like to dance. Couple of decent tracks, I like Moment and Near Miss. Was expecting more after the very rare all-round SMB approval

Me neither on first listen. Too much going on for my tender little ears. No need for some of the sounds they have added. Maybe its music for people with beards who dont like to dance. Couple of decent tracks, I like Moment and Near Miss. Was expecting more after the very rare all-round SMB approval

Some of it, to me anyway, is a bit too close to glossy pop in its sound. Could imagine teenage lasses liking a good chunk of it. But plenty on here who like what I like seem to love it, so who knows.

Don't know what people think of bonny light horsemen but I thought the production is a bit big and too much. Quite like some of the songs despite that

Back