New Music Releases Thread

Yeah it's funny, there weren't really lists at the end of 2016 and 17, not like this year. Don't know if Spotify is anything to do with that, or laziness like you say
Like I mentioned in my list, for me it’s something to do with listening to more albums for less time - that probably is a Spotify or streaming service thing. I get a bunch of things recommended and give them all a shot, which is probably something I wouldn’t have done without that access. Definite change in the landscape

Like I mentioned in my list, for me it’s something to do with listening to more albums for less time - that probably is a Spotify or streaming service thing. I get a bunch of things recommended and give them all a shot, which is probably something I wouldn’t have done without that access. Definite change in the landscape
yeah it's interesting. I still want to really get into albums in the old way. But i give up much sooner if something is only OK. I don't persist like I would have done

yeah it's interesting. I still want to really get into albums in the old way. But i give up much sooner if something is only OK. I don't persist like I would have done
Agreed, or I’ll forget about something that I liked because I moved on to so many others so quickly.
And after all that, one of my faves of the year ended up being one from last January that I only heard about from a year end list! 😆

Impulse purchase last night of an EP by Dutch punk band Tower Crane Towers. Never heard of them but was drawn to it because the cover has a unlikely pop art pic of the Angel of the North that I liked. Random Bandcamp post on Instagram yesterday - something else that’s completely changed how much access I have to things I’d never previously have come across.

Anybody listening to Squid in session on 6 music now ?
First I’ve heard but the tune about “in a car, in a smoke car” was excellent
Seen em twice by accident. I just can’t get away with them. Singing drummers just don’t seem right especially when they yelp as much as sing.
...and they exude right on smugness.
Reet I’m gonna up my new album listening game this year using this thread as I’ve spent most of the last two years listening to self made playlists of bands playing the London pub/club circuit before they’re anywhere near releasing an album.
You’re getting my opinions wether you want em or not.

Last edited:
Seen em twice by accident. I just can’t get away with them. Singing drummers just don’t seem right especially when they yelp as much as sing.
...and they exude right on smugness.
Reet I’m gonna up my new album listening game this year using this thread as I’ve spent most of the last two years listening to self made playlists of bands playing the London pub/club circuit before they’re anywhere near releasing an album.
You’re getting my opinions wether you want em or not.

after I posted that I listened to more on Spotify and I wasn’t impressed.
it was all a bit shouty to me. The tune I mentioned was literally the only one I liked !

Reet from the start of Arkles list which I’ve listened to at work today:
I like Kiwi JR a lot. Very pavement, go betweenS, pontoons.
I like Innocence Mission a big bit. Love Bright as Yellow song it’s very VU Live at Max’s Kansas City.
Like Aoife Nessa Frances a bit. Like Here In The Darks good as is In The End. Libra sounds like a Byrd’s outtake.
Algiers not so much though they may need a longer listen. I think they’ll be huge in a U2/ Simple Minds/Radiohead type breakthrough after slogging around for years.
Holy Fuck over do the synths for a dad rock format band like don’t they? They’ll do well anarl eventually.

Ill give the rest a go tomorrow.

Holy fuck, the SMB aren’t wrong, gets better each listen, class.

Bonny light horsemen, like owt like this, timeless songs great stuff.

The innocence mission, vocals remind me of the Sunday’s, it’s a keeper, love it.

Kiwi Jr, instantly liked it, after 5 or so plays its wearing off. Nice lyrics in places.

Whyte horses, some interesting covers, very good.

Holy fuck, the SMB aren’t wrong, gets better each listen, class.

Bonny light horsemen, like owt like this, timeless songs great stuff.

The innocence mission, vocals remind me of the Sunday’s, it’s a keeper, love it.

Kiwi Jr, instantly liked it, after 5 or so plays its wearing off. Nice lyrics in places.

Whyte horses, some interesting covers, very good.
Just been exercising to Holy fuck. It's great. Enjoyed bonny light horsemen too. Do they know what bonny means in the states?

Back