New Music Releases Thread

Aye. No bother. It's on dice so I can just send across.
Love Dice me like.
I can do it, so will happily take off your hands

cheers!
Marra zapped me over six free Dice gigs tkts while I was getting served at the bar between Talkshow and Warmduscher last neet. It’s a great use of technology that I’m still struggling to get my head around tbh.
If I don’t go to some of these gigs will that denigrate his Dice standing or summit? I know they issue more than the venue capacity and you need to go early btw.
I’m enjoying Drive-by Truckers. A lot of Tom Petty “influences” on it though.
Not heard it yet but they were a bit more new country/Americana years back but seem to be heading mainstream over their last couple of releases. Pettys market may be where they’re aiming. Or mebbes I’m an auld cynic.

Last edited:
Love Dice me like.

Marra zapped me over six free Dice gigs tkts while I was getting served at the bar between Talkshow and Warmduscher last neet. It’s a great use of technology that I’m still struggling to get my head around tbh.
If I don’t go to some of these gigs will that denigrate his Dice standing or summit? I know they issue more than the venue capacity and you need to go early btw.

Not heard it yet but they were a bit more new country/Americana years back but seem to be heading mainstream over their last couple of releases. Pettys market may be where they’re aiming. Or mebbes I’m an auld cynic.
Only the free ones are oversold

Only the free ones are oversold
Yeah I know that. If someone started getting loads of the free gigs but rarely went would dice start putting a block on their freebie access or summit? Cos he zapped some over last neet that I’ll probably not get too.
Been battling through both winter lurgy and a big pile of new to newish releases over the past 3 or 4 days. The lurgy's awful, the new releases:

Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Tom Waits - a compilation which does what it says on the tin, Tom Waits covers by female artists. The artists tend toward country/folk types. Mostly good, the odd track isn't reinvented enough.
Wolf Parade - the fifth, I think, album from the once Canadians. It's pretty good but maybe not up to the level of their first three. Keys and guitars combined and the bloke who does most of the singing sounds like him from Men Without Hats.
Nicolas Godin - sounds a lot like an Air album, unsurprisingly. Pleasant but uninspiring. Contains this week's Alexis Taylor guest vocal on one track.
En Attendant Ana - French indiepop types. Their second or third album. Pretty good, some nice Wedding Present style guitar and a bit of trumpet. A woman sings rather than a Gallic Gedge.
Basic Plumbing - the album that Patrick Doyle, once of Veronica Falls, was working on when he passed away last year. It's more indiepop. Good, worth a listen.
Black Lips - their umpteenth album of vaguely sleazy rock. Well, they've actually gone a bit country this time and consequently sound like the excellent "Prairie Home Invasion" album by Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon. Cautiously recommended.
Bonny Light Horseman - bit of a folk rock supergroup, as I mentioned. Really well done reinterpretations of traditional songs, along with some cracking originals.
Terry Allen and the Panhandle Mystery Band - this week's old timer. Terry Allen's a country rock/outlaw country veteran (he's about 802) and this follows those lines. High quality throughout and highly recommended!
Andy Shauf - really nice singer-songwriter album. Characters appear throughout the album, which I really like.
Wire - effectively in their third incarnation (and well into it now), this is excellent, arguably the best thing they've done this millennium.
Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - a melding of trad Scottish and Indian music as with their previous albums. It's excellent but I'm a fan so would say that.
The Haden Triplets - excellent harmonies, reworkings of trad folk songs. Very good!
Citizen Bravo - reworkings of Ivor Cutler songs by Scottish indie people. Really excellent...
Les Amazones d'Afrique - their second album. Less guest starry than the first and better for it. A potent mix of Afrobeat and more tradtional sounds.
McAlmont & Webb - David McAlmont and a jazz bloke. Some interesting covers (Suede, Radiohead, REM) in a jazz style with McAlmont's soaring vocals. Niche but good!
Torgeir Waldemar - Norwegian beardy, vaguely Neil Youngish, good songs, reminds me a bit of his fellow Norwegian, the late St Thomas, but maybe not quite up there. Still worth checking out if you like Scandicentrics.
Have you heard Scarlett Johanssonw album of Waits cover versions? It’s better than it sounds but her voice is a bit weak or lacks character or summit.

Last edited:
Yeah I know that. If someone started getting loads of the free gigs but rarely went would dice start putting a block on their freebie access or summit? Cos he zapped some over last neet that I’ll probably not get too.

Have you heard Scarlett Johanssonw album of Waits cover versions? It’s better than it sounds but her voice is a bit weak or lacks character or summit.
Not sure

I always release if I can’t go

My usual round up of new/newish stuff I've listened to over the weekend...

Cynefin - Welsh traditional songs reinterpreted. Very good. Aside from being in Welsh, not as niche as it sounds.
Smoke Fairies - excellent harmonies. A bit more guitary than I remember. Good.
Sam Lee - he's generally been a bit of a folk traditionalist but, like The Unthanks, who are a good reference point, he's melding other genres into his music.
Squirrel Flower - already mentioned above as a possible album of the year contender. I'll stand by that. Reminiscent of Angel Olsen, Sharon van Etten, Big Thief etc.
Drive By Truckers - also already mentioned. It's a solid enough DBT album but doesn't meet the standard of the last two or some of their earlier work.
Dan Deacon - probably his best and certainly his most accessible album. Really, really enjoyable.
Polica - they've done better. It's a nice enough album of indietronica with flecks of R'n'B but not one I'd imagine listening to repeatedly.
Torres - another good album from the indie rock singer-songwriter.
Ben Watt - enjoyable and well made, folk influenced urban songs. Very mature!
Destroyer - Dan Bejar is on top form after a couple of reasonable albums since 2011's Kaputt.
Band of Burns - a 12 strong folk "supergroup" influenced by, if not explicitly about Robbie Burns. Reminds me a little of Bellowhead.

My usual round up of new/newish stuff I've listened to over the weekend...

Cynefin - Welsh traditional songs reinterpreted. Very good. Aside from being in Welsh, not as niche as it sounds.
Smoke Fairies - excellent harmonies. A bit more guitary than I remember. Good.
Sam Lee - he's generally been a bit of a folk traditionalist but, like The Unthanks, who are a good reference point, he's melding other genres into his music.
Squirrel Flower - already mentioned above as a possible album of the year contender. I'll stand by that. Reminiscent of Angel Olsen, Sharon van Etten, Big Thief etc.
Drive By Truckers - also already mentioned. It's a solid enough DBT album but doesn't meet the standard of the last two or some of their earlier work.
Dan Deacon - probably his best and certainly his most accessible album. Really, really enjoyable.
Polica - they've done better. It's a nice enough album of indietronica with flecks of R'n'B but not one I'd imagine listening to repeatedly.
Torres - another good album from the indie rock singer-songwriter.
Ben Watt - enjoyable and well made, folk influenced urban songs. Very mature!
Destroyer - Dan Bejar is on top form after a couple of reasonable albums since 2011's Kaputt.
Band of Burns - a 12 strong folk "supergroup" influenced by, if not explicitly about Robbie Burns. Reminds me a little of Bellowhead.
Thanks for the cynefin tip. Liking so far. Play near me in a couple of weeks

Anyone got 6 Music Festival tickets? Just announced Holy F as the Thursday night headliner to replace Girl Band.

Andy Shauf has really grown on me
Cheers for the ticket @James

they are absolutely class. It’s still a bit padded out at times but when they smash it they smash it.

You're more than welcome, nice to repay the favour. They're bloody good aren't they. How did they fare in such a big venue? Genuinely gutted to have double booked this night!

Devendra Banhart was good. Really good set list. Sound was a bit ropey though which brought it down a bit. First time at the Shepherds Bush Empire and I'll not be arsed if it's the last to be honest.

Back