New Music Releases Thread

Right, before I get to this week's releases tomorrow, my summary of stuff I've listened to in the last week:

Manu Chao's "Clandestino" reissue - the classic debut with three extra tracks. Years since I listened to it. Still really good!
Sirom - Slovenian folk experimentalists. Probably a tad niche! Enjoyable but challenging.
Ezra Furman - excellent as usual! More rocking than one or two recent releases. Charges by in 28 mins.
Four Tet - a good EP. Three excellent, differing tracks.
Jesse Malin - really enjoyable! I've had mixed experiences with his stuff so tend to only listen to the albums that get good reviews.
Dylan Moon - wistful singer songwriter stuff. Seems pretty good.
Paranoid London - mentioned above by @mad cyril. Excellent acid house based album with guest vocals and intriguing samples galore.
Joan Shelley - really, really, really lovely! She's becoming a major, major talent. Will Oldham guests (more of him later).
Black Belt Eagle Scout - also really good. Think this is her second album. In the Angel Olsen mold to some degree.
Bonnie "Prince" Billie, Bryce Dessner and Eighth Blackbird - back to Will Oldham. I had no idea this was out. It's contemporary/neo-classical rearrangements of BPB songs. Will Oldham does the vocals, Eighth Blackbird play the music, I guess Bryce Dessner does the arrangements. It's one of the best albums I've listened to this year.
Whitney - seems pleasant enough, kind of early/mid period Lambchop vibe to it but songs not as strong.
Velvet Negroni - interesting R'n'B. Very inventive!
The Futureheads - already posted in the thread about the album. Really good and I'm very pleased they're back!
Lana Del Ray - I'm something of a fan! It's an excellent album as usual...
The Daisy Age compilation - put together by Pete Stanley from St Etienne. Most of the big hitters from when hiphop went a bit hippyish are on there (PM Dawn aside). Worth a listen if the idea of "Mistadobalina" by Del Tha Funky Homosapien turns you happy.

Will listen to Four Tet asap as that slipped the net.
Whitney I can’t get into this album unfortunately which is a shame as I lied last one.

She really is a bit special. This album feels like she’s taken the best parts of my favourite female musicians and melded them together!

I think it may be her best yet.
I fly to Ghana tomorrow so probably won't listen to any of this lot for over a week but there's a big crop of releases this week. Albums from IDK, Adam Green, Bat For Lashes, Chrissie Hind, Frankie Cosmos, Kindness, Lindsey Sterling, Lower Dens, Melanie Martinez, Mess Thetics, Miles Davis, Muna, Oscar Scheller, Rheostatics, Sandro Perri, Sleeping With Sirens, Status Quo, The Highwomen, Tinariwen, Iggy Pop, Post Malone, Those Pretty Wrongs, My Life Story and Chuck Cleaver.

Last edited:
My Life Story for me, as I saw them about 642 times in the mid90s all over the southeast 😳 - however, I fear it might be a big pile of shite...
After that, maybe Frankie Cosmos and Lower Dens.

Judging from posts, I need to check out Futureheads and Jesse Malin - saw him last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite knowing nothing about him.

My Life Story for me, as I saw them about 642 times in the mid90s all over the southeast 😳 - however, I fear it might be a big pile of shite...
After that, maybe Frankie Cosmos and Lower Dens.

Judging from posts, I need to check out Futureheads and Jesse Malin - saw him last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite knowing nothing about him.
My Life Story are playing my local soon. I was gonna go but as I’ve seen eight bands in there this week already I’m giving it a miss. I may be developing an allergy to uninspired guitar based music.

Adam Green (although I find him a bit hit and miss) and Iggy Pop (although the Guardian only gave him 2 stars) for me this week. And the new John Mayer single.

I know it's about a month late but jesus f***ing christ, that Blanck Mass album. House vs House is the best thing I've heard in a long long time.

It’s only taken Apple Music nearly 4 days, but they’ve updated my new release suggestions and it appears the Alabama Lovesnakes released a new album on Friday for anyone who might be interested in some Swedish blues.

Is @Arkle back from Ghana or am I going to have to do my own research this week?
there's a new pixies one out tomorrow, keen to hear gruff rhys myself... metronomy seem to have something out as well but i'm not sure what the recent stuff has been like. belle & sebastian? guilt pleasure personally is the sam fender album but not sure what this thread makes of him....

there's a new pixies one out tomorrow, keen to hear gruff rhys myself... metronomy seem to have something out as well but i'm not sure what the recent stuff has been like. belle & sebastian? guilt pleasure personally is the sam fender album but not sure what this thread makes of him....

I don’t mind Sam Fender, not really what I listen to but it’s big sing along, catchy anthem style tunes. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he becomes huge.

Alex Cameron for me tomorrow, his last effort was album of the year for me so high hopes for this tomorrow

Back