New Music Releases Thread

Frog - very good, change of pace from their older stuff. Chronically underrated band!

There's a new Horsebeach record too, haven't got around to listening to it yet but have always enjoyed their pleasant dreamy pop.

Today going to relive being 15 and see the Young Knives at a free gig. :lol:

So of the recent stuff that is out

Jason Lytle - sounds nothing like Grandaddy. I like it. I think
Oh Sees - not typical Oh Sees stuff, but it’s rather good. John Dwyer is a bit of a hero really
Murder Capital - was looking forward to this and I like it a lot.
Blanck Mass - seemingly I’m the only person in the world that doesn’t get it. The first track (after the intro) is just too much of a head fuck. Maybe I’m getting too old? Or should I keep trying?
Sleater-Kinney - meh. Disappointing
Jay Som - really disappointing. Absolute nothingness
Ty Segall - after the pile of shite recently, I like this a lot
Bon Iver - it’s fine. It’s nothing more than fine. Just me that thinks Vernon has disappeared up his own arse?
B-Boys - described by @Arkle as being Parquet Courts esque. Not as good (nothing is), but still tremendous fun
Tropical Fuck Storm - excellent!

Next up, End of the Road!

So, newish stuff I've listened to over the bank holiday:

Leslie Stevens
- I like this a lot. Country singer songwriter, reminds me a bit of Margo Price.
Sheer Mag - not particularly good. They're aiming for big rock but the songs aren't good enough so they end up with modestly sized pebble.
The Rails - I missed this last week. Third album from Richard Thompson's daughter and her hubbie, the guitarist from The Pretenders. It's good, a bit more rocking than their first two albums which were firmly routed in folk territory.
Faith Mussa - he's a Malawian singer/musician. He mixes traditional African sounds with more modern sounds. It's very good...
CFM - Charles Moorhart from various Ty Segall bands so it's garage rock. Pretty straightforward, nothing overly long/proggy. Good but interchangeable with a lot of other things.
Modern Nature - their EP impressed me and now the album has as well. Bit of a supergroup fronted by Jack Cooper (once of Ultimate Painting). I'll describe their sound as krautfolk.
Jay Som - as @chunkylover53 alluded, disappointing! Some sort of overlap between shoegaze and modern pop but not the best bits from either.
Tropical Fuck Storm - really, really very good. Their two albums have continued on from where The Drones left off.
Shannon Lay - another Ty Segall associate, she's his current touring guitarist. Her solo stuff is a lot more quiet, laidback and folky. Pretty good.

Tomorrow's releases today, or something... this week we have albums from !!!, Big Wreck, Black Belt Eagle Scout, Bonnie, Common, Ezra Furman, Jessie Malin, Lana del Ray, Olivia Jean, Pharmakon, Sheryl Crow (a duets album), SIR, Stick Figure, The Alchemist, The Futureheads, Tim the Mute, Tool, Trisha Yearwood, Wage War, Whitney, Noel Wells, Velvet Negroni, The SLP (Serge from Kasabian solo), Carter Tutti Void, Sirom, Joan Shelley, Paranoid London and Dylan Moon.

Tomorrow's releases today, or something... this week we have albums from !!!, Big Wreck, Black Belt Eagle Scout, Bonnie, Common, Ezra Furman, Jessie Malin, Lana del Ray, Olivia Jean, Pharmakon, Sheryl Crow (a duets album), SIR, Stick Figure, The Alchemist, The Futureheads, Tim the Mute, Tool, Trisha Yearwood, Wage War, Whitney, Noel Wells, Velvet Negroni, The SLP (Serge from Kasabian solo), Carter Tutti Void, Sirom, Joan Shelley, Paranoid London and Dylan Moon.
Just EOTR for me

Common and Jesse Malin for me. Hope JM is better than the EP he released a couple of years back!

Just EOTR for me

Looks a good line up. Looking at it, I suspect, were I there, I'd be spending more time at the Garden Stage/Big Top than the Woods Stage.
Common and Jesse Malin for me. Hope JM is better than the EP he released a couple of years back!

Ezra Furman is the highlight for me, together with Joan Shelley. Will give some others a listen.

I rather liked the last ezra furman effort, hopefully this new one is just as good. will have to check out the slp just for shits & giggles...
He’s got a big following on here, but I’ve never been able to “get” him
transangleic exodus is the only lp i've heard from him, thought it had some real highlights for me (no place for example)...

Last edited:
I rather liked the last ezra furman effort, hopefully this new one is just as good. will have to check out the slp just for shits & giggles...

transangleic exodus is the only lp i've heard from him, thought it had some real highlights for me (no place for example)...

There's a lot to choose from in his back catalogue. "Day of the Dog" is probably my favourite, although that may be because it was my introduction to his music. He's excellent live!

Saw Surfer Blood last night - had kind of forgotten they were a thing (hadn’t seen them since back in 2011, supporting Pixies). Anyway, they were good and apparently had 2 releases last week - a 6-track EP of new stuff, previewing a new album, and an album of covers.

Over last couple of days been listening to

Paranoid London. Really good Acid house featuring tracks with the likes of Arthur Baker, Alan Vega, a certain ration etc.

!!! Some bits really good, some bits a bit too girly and poppy for me.

Futureheads. What you’d expect. Punky, spikey melodies. I really like it.

Right, before I get to this week's releases tomorrow, my summary of stuff I've listened to in the last week:

Manu Chao's "Clandestino" reissue - the classic debut with three extra tracks. Years since I listened to it. Still really good!
Sirom - Slovenian folk experimentalists. Probably a tad niche! Enjoyable but challenging.
Ezra Furman - excellent as usual! More rocking than one or two recent releases. Charges by in 28 mins.
Four Tet - a good EP. Three excellent, differing tracks.
Jesse Malin - really enjoyable! I've had mixed experiences with his stuff so tend to only listen to the albums that get good reviews.
Dylan Moon - wistful singer songwriter stuff. Seems pretty good.
Paranoid London - mentioned above by @mad cyril. Excellent acid house based album with guest vocals and intriguing samples galore.
Joan Shelley - really, really, really lovely! She's becoming a major, major talent. Will Oldham guests (more of him later).
Black Belt Eagle Scout - also really good. Think this is her second album. In the Angel Olsen mold to some degree.
Bonnie "Prince" Billie, Bryce Dessner and Eighth Blackbird - back to Will Oldham. I had no idea this was out. It's contemporary/neo-classical rearrangements of BPB songs. Will Oldham does the vocals, Eighth Blackbird play the music, I guess Bryce Dessner does the arrangements. It's one of the best albums I've listened to this year.
Whitney - seems pleasant enough, kind of early/mid period Lambchop vibe to it but songs not as strong.
Velvet Negroni - interesting R'n'B. Very inventive!
The Futureheads - already posted in the thread about the album. Really good and I'm very pleased they're back!
Lana Del Ray - I'm something of a fan! It's an excellent album as usual...
The Daisy Age compilation - put together by Pete Stanley from St Etienne. Most of the big hitters from when hiphop went a bit hippyish are on there (PM Dawn aside). Worth a listen if the idea of "Mistadobalina" by Del Tha Funky Homosapien turns you happy.

Back