New Music Releases Thread

Working through the new releases after getting back from Green Man. My opinions:

The Hold Steady - enjoyable but sounds like a collection of songs more than an album, as that's essentially what it is.
Ride - a bit ho-hum! Some nice enough tracks but it's not really pushing boundaries.
Blanck Mass - bloody, blinking heck, now, this, this is marvellous! One of the albums of the year, undoubtedly.
Sleater-Kinney - not entirely sure where their new found hyphen came from. However, this is properly good from them. As @MarcoG says, a cracking rock band.
The Murder Capital - a fine debut. Difficult not to view them in comparison with their mates Fontaines DC but they remind me more of 90s Dublin band Whipping Boy.
Rodney Crowell - a fine piece of modern Americana from the old fella.
Oh Sees - it's a bit long but I like it. Suitably weird!
King Gizzard - not really my thing as far as the Gizz are concerned. Probably the release I've liked least since the lounge jazz thing a couple of years ago.
Jason Lytle - ambient electronica from the Grandaddy man. Seems reasonable but unspectacular...

King Gizzard - not really my thing as far as the Gizz are concerned. Probably the release I've liked least since the lounge jazz thing a couple of years ago.
This is what happens when a band covers so many genres in their releases - it’s probably my favourite Gizzard record, although I can’t decide whether I prefer it to Nonagon Infinity yet!

This is what happens when a band covers so many genres in their releases - it’s probably my favourite Gizzard record, although I can’t decide whether I prefer it to Nonagon Infinity yet!

I really like Nonagon Infinity, although Morder of the Universe is probably my favourite of their albums. The genre hops do make it a bit of a lottery with their stuff...

Sleater-Kinney - not entirely sure where their new found hyphen came from. However, this is properly good from them. As @MarcoG says, a cracking rock band.
To be fair, it's always been there - it's a highway exit sign so they can't really change it. Fake News! ;) (check their album covers for further info)

Thanks for the run down. Agreed on Ride, THS, and S-K (and Gizzard). Not so much on Oh Sees! Off to try Blanck Mass and Murder Capital on your recommendation.

This weeks releases come from S3PUNX, Brockhampton, CRX, Esther Rose, G Perico, Jay Som, Jeezy, Jidenna, Joyero, Justin Moore, Knocked Loose, Lina Tullgren, Midland, Noah Gundersen, Raphael Saadiq, Rapsody, Redd Kross, Rob Laufer, Sheer Mag,Tanya Tucker, Taylor Swift, Vince Gill, Tropical Fuck Storm, Leslie Stevens and Modern Nature.

This weeks releases come from S3PUNX, Brockhampton, CRX, Esther Rose, G Perico, Jay Som, Jeezy, Jidenna, Joyero, Justin Moore, Knocked Loose, Lina Tullgren, Midland, Noah Gundersen, Raphael Saadiq, Rapsody, Redd Kross, Rob Laufer, Sheer Mag,Tanya Tucker, Taylor Swift, Vince Gill, Tropical Fuck Storm, Leslie Stevens and Modern Nature.
I think Taylor Swift is the only act there I’ve heard of (I’ll give her album a swerve). Any recommendations?

Blanck Mass - bloody, blinking heck, now, this, this is marvellous! One of the albums of the year, undoubtedly.

Fully 100% agree. It’s superb and it gets better with every listen.
In top 3 albums of the year. Can’t wait to see him live later this year.

Not a lot. Modern Nature and Tropical Fuck Storm are the only ones I'm majorly interested in.
I’ve all the TFS singers previous band (The Drones) and solo CDs. Seen The Drones a couple of times, a great great band who I thought could’ve been massive mebbes if they weren’t Aussies they could’ve been? I think the same fate fell on The Triffids, Go Betweens, Saints and Birthday Party. With easier access to new bands via streaming for music obsessive I reckon they’d have different lives if starting out now. Obviously the Scottish punk Drones from the 70s btw.
I’ve got nowt of tfs stuff as it’s only this week I realised it was him, I’d been thinking it was the other band members as they were announced to the world around the time of his solo album and The Drones going on “hiatus”.
I stuck the Drones best song “Shark Fin” up on a smb music thread years ago to almost universal reaction. It was voted best ever Aussie song in an Aussie musicians union members/djs/writers/bloggers poll a few years back.
I’ll be approaching tfs at a rate of knots now I no different.
As a Sunderland supporter I am offended at any band name containing the word Mag! Otherwise it sounds like something I’d like.
It’ll be a mags smb name soon
Working through the new releases after getting back from Green Man. My opinions:

The Hold Steady - enjoyable but sounds like a collection of songs more than an album, as that's essentially what it is.
Ride - a bit ho-hum! Some nice enough tracks but it's not really pushing boundaries.
The Murder Capital - a fine debut. Difficult not to view them in comparison with their mates Fontaines DC but they remind me more of 90s Dublin band Whipping Boy.
Rodney Crowell - a fine piece of modern Americana from the old fella.
Oh Sees - it's a bit long but I like it. Suitably weird!
Jason Lytle - ambient electronica from the Grandaddy man. Seems reasonable but unspectacular...
I saw The Murder Capital And Fontaine’s DMC at citadel a few weeks back. Both head n shoulders above everything else on that day for me. A bit same both visually and musically. All dressed in black you could’ve been forgiven for thinking the first ones on had just swapped instruments and jackets/shirts around then come back on an hour later. I’ll be snapping up the CDs this week. I’ve got to really like a band to do that post streaming.
Should read obviously NOT the Scottish punk Drones btw......btw

Last edited:
I’ve all the TFS singers previous band (The Drones) and solo CDs. Seen The Drones a couple of times, a great great band who I thought could’ve been massive mebbes if they weren’t Aussies they could’ve been? I think the same fate fell on The Triffids, Go Betweens, Saints and Birthday Party. With easier access to new bands via streaming for music obsessive I reckon they’d have different lives if starting out now. Obviously the Scottish punk Drones from the 70s btw.
I’ve got nowt of tfs stuff as it’s only this week I realised it was him, I’d been thinking it was the other band members as they were announced to the world around the time of his solo album and The Drones going on “hiatus”.
I stuck the Drones best song “Shark Fin” up on a smb music thread years ago to almost universal reaction. It was voted best ever Aussie song in an Aussie musicians union members/djs/writers/bloggers poll a few years back.
I’ll be approaching tfs at a rate of knots now I no different.

Yeah, I am/was a massive fan of The Drones, hence finding out about TFS. "Shark Fin" is a cracking track. You're right about the other Aussie bands. I guess The Birthday Party kind of morphed toward Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in time but the others never really got anything beyond critical acclaim here. The Triffids didn't even get a hit when one of their songs was used on a Neighbours wedding (albeit it was the wedding of Harold and Madge).

Yeah, I am/was a massive fan of The Drones, hence finding out about TFS. "Shark Fin" is a cracking track. You're right about the other Aussie bands. I guess The Birthday Party kind of morphed toward Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in time but the others never really got anything beyond critical acclaim here. The Triffids didn't even get a hit when one of their songs was used on a Neighbours wedding (albeit it was the wedding of Harold and Madge).
Regarding Aussie bands I was in a London house share with a few aussies n kiwis in mid-late 80s. So I heard a LOT of antipodean music from back then. Saw gobetweens n triffids n midnight oil a few times.
Nivver really got away with birthday party though I love Caves solo stuff. There’s an Irish girl called Camille O’Sullivan doing a Cave covers set at Edinburgh festival atm. She’s touring it around the U.K. in a few weeks but not at many places. It’s very good. She was great on that jools Holland show a while back.

New My Life Story single today and new New Model Army album tomorrow.

As for upcoming album releases, form an orderly queue for the Bjork reissue in November - box set of an old album, containing 14 handmade wooden bird callers, princely sum of 500 quid :eek: :lol:

Had a listen to a few songs by The Murder Capital after seeing them mentioned on here. Really like what I've heard so cheers!

Kim Gordon solo album is coming in October.

Back