New Music Releases Thread

Not new music releases, strictly speaking, but if you like Joy Division, with the 40th :eek:anniversary of Unknown Pleasures coming up, various directors have made new videos for each track on the album. They're doing some kind of Youtube thing nearer the date, Unknown Pleasures Reimagined, with a broadcast of them and a round table discussion, but they're releasing the vids between now and then and I think the first is tomorrow

Last edited:
New releases this week include some big names. We have albums from Bad Books, Baroness, Bastille, Bill Callahan, Bruce Springsteen, Iron & Wine and Calexico, Kate Tempest, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Madonna, Mattiel, Old Man Luedecke, The Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Two Door Cinema Club, X Ambassadors, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (an EP), Julia Shapiro. Crumb and Anatolian Weapons.

New releases this week include some big names. We have albums from Bad Books, Baroness, Bastille, Bill Callahan, Bruce Springsteen, Iron & Wine and Calexico, Kate Tempest, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Madonna, Mattiel, Old Man Luedecke, The Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Two Door Cinema Club, X Ambassadors, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (an EP), Julia Shapiro. Crumb and Anatolian Weapons.
Springsteen’s new uns getting good reviews but the record company are semi apologising for it by saying don’t worry he’ll be back with the e street band on the next one. Ffs the e street albums have been stale born for ower 20 years give or take a couple of songs.
This one’s supposed to be his Glenn Campbell/Jimmy Webb, Bacharach/David phase. Sounds reet up my MOR street tbh.

The Peter Perrett album sounds decent on first listen
I refuse to believe all these Perrett fans were listening to the only ones back in the day. They can’t have cos they would’ve been off the toilet/college circuit.

I'll be on Sebadoh first (got tickets to see them in a few weeks) then maybe Honeyblood. I think I have a Guards album from a few years ago that I quite liked, if it's the same band, so I could check that out. Might be curious enough to listen to the Waterboys if there's time - not given them a listen in years, but there's probably a reason for that. I know I shouldn't, but I'll likely give the Morrissey a quick go at some point, out of sheer habit, despite him being a colossal wanker.

Thought this was moderately interesting - music is also killing us and destroying the planet. Is it time to fuck it off?
New Study Details Devastating Environmental Impact of Music Streaming – Rolling Stone
Seen honeyblood in my local a few weeks back. Decent they were. I’d nivver heard of em tbh which won’t have helped. I’d go again.

Last edited:
I thought the Chris Shiflett album was out tomorrow but it looks like the Americans are getting it a week before the rest of the world.

Kevin Hearn (Barenaked Ladies guitarist/keyboardist/multi-instrumentalist/sometime-vocalist) has a new solo album out tomorrow, and is also releasing all his out of print solo records to streaming services as of tomorrow.

Going to take a punt on Bad Books today - I’m very late to the dance on Manchester Orchestra but I like what I’ve heard

Going to take a punt on Bad Books today - I’m very late to the dance on Manchester Orchestra but I like what I’ve heard

Have to admint, I had no idea who Bad Books are/were until this.

I think it'll mostly be safe ground for me with Bill Callahan, Bruce Springsteen and Iron & Wine and Calexico with Mattiel and Anatolian Weapons as wildcards...

My vinyl copy should be en route to Kuwait as we speak.........His last album was good.

This one is, for me, at least as good.

I think it'll mostly be safe ground for me with Bill Callahan, Bruce Springsteen and Iron & Wine and Calexico with Mattiel and Anatolian Weapons as wildcards...
That's the second time recently that I've treated your list as a today thing - tomorrow!

Full disclosure, I only found this out last week because my boss is a MO fan and brought up that Bad Books are playing local in a week or two - he'll do something good like that and then somehow simultaneously underhandedly coerce me into going to see Bush/Live at the weekend :eek::lol:

Agreed on the Only Ones - I've got Another Girl Another Planet on vinyl, but I was only 10 when it came out, so I definitely didn't buy it at the time. Probably got into it as a result of all those punk/new wave compilations that came out after the fact in the 80s and 90s.

I’m sure Another Girl Another Planet was used as the theme tune to a late night music programme on tv. Possibly one of Tyne tees pre The Tube efforts?
Anyway I’d heard it on Peels prog and rushed out to buy the album, as usual there was nowt else on there anywhere near as good. Good band though......I must’ve thought so as I bought all three albums but nivver saw em live. They’d broken up before I moved down south.
I bet those albums would be worth a few bob now.......shame I offloaded em.:rolleyes:

This one is, for me, at least as good.

It arrived yesterday, will give it a spin.

I’m sure Another Girl Another Planet was used as the theme tune to a late night music programme on tv. Possibly one of Tyne tees pre The Tube efforts?
Anyway I’d heard it on Peels prog and rushed out to buy the album, as usual there was nowt else on there anywhere near as good. Good band though......I must’ve thought so as I bought all three albums but nivver saw em live. They’d broken up before I moved down south.
I bet those albums would be worth a few bob now.......shame I offloaded em.:rolleyes:
Yes, it was - it was called Alright Now on Tyne Tees. I got AGAP 12 inch after hearing it on John Peel - went down to Saville's (or Pete Edmonds) in South Shields to get, I was 14 and have still got it now. Bizarre its a 12 inch record with a 3 minute song on one side and the B-Side had a song which is 1 minute 50 - As my wife says.

Yes, it was - it was called Alright Now on Tyne Tees. I got AGAP 12 inch after hearing it on John Peel - went down to Saville's (or Pete Edmonds) in South Shields to get, I was 14 and have still got it now. Bizarre its a 12 inch record with a 3 minute song on one side and the B-Side had a song which is 1 minute 50 - As my wife says.
Cheers marra. I thought I’d imagined it.
That was one of Malcolm Gerries shows before he got the tube up n running iirc.

A bit disappointed that the Kevin Hearn record is essentially instrumental, ambient electronica. The kind of thing you’d hear poolside on holiday, rather than the quirky indie pop he usually writes.

Chris Shiflett lives up to expectations, it probably helps that half the songs were released before the album was but I’m very much enjoying it.

Last edited:
It obviously made a habit of being an oddment - mine is a bizarre reissue, 12" too, but has Pretty In Pink on the B-Side :eek:

Back