New Music Releases Thread

Watched the sequel to the Big Gold Dream movie this weekend - Teenage Superstars - well worth a watch if you’ve not seen it and have a passing interest in Scottish indie. It takes up from where BGD ends and covers the Glasgow/Bellshill scene from mid80s to early 90s - Teenage Fanclub, Soup Dragons, BMX Bandits, Pastels, Vaselines, JAMC, Creation Records etc
nice one, have a feeling Ive seen big gold dream but havent seen teenage superstars, that could be my evenings viewing sorted.

Speaking of documentaries, am going to this tomorrow, looking forward to it.

"
Steve Shelley and Lance Bangs at the IFI
Saturday, March 2nd at 20.00 – Tickets €16 – BOOK NOW

The IFI is delighted to welcome drummer Steve Shelley of iconic band Sonic Youth and acclaimed director Lance Bangs to the IFI on Saturday, March 2nd to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of Daydream Nation.

Over the course of their career, Sonic Youth created a body of work that arguably did more than any band since The Velvet Underground to explore the potential of rock music in blending the melodic with the abrasive. Despite their refusal to compromise on an experimental approach born of the New York No-Wave scene from which they emerged, the band soon came to critical and commercial success, in the process becoming hugely influential figures in alternative music.

The evening will include a programme of films related to the album, with excerpts from the Bangs-directed concert film along with Charles Atlas’s documentary Put Blood In The Music.

Tickets for this special event cost €16.

"

nice one, have a feeling Ive seen big gold dream but havent seen teenage superstars, that could be my evenings viewing sorted.

"

The IFI is delighted to welcome drummer Steve Shelley of iconic band Sonic Youth and acclaimed director Lance Bangs to the IFI on Saturday, March 2nd to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of Daydream Nation.

Over the course of their career, Sonic Youth created a body of work that arguably did more than any band since The Velvet Underground to explore the potential of rock music in blending the melodic with the abrasive. Despite their refusal to compromise on an experimental approach born of the New York No-Wave scene from which they emerged, the band soon came to critical and commercial success, in the process becoming hugely influential figures in alternative music.

The evening will include a programme of films related to the album, with excerpts from the Bangs-directed concert film along with Charles Atlas’s documentary Put Blood In The Music.

"

Sounds like an interesting evening. Daydream Nation is a cracking album!

"

"
Ahhh, and you reminded me that Thurston is a big commentator in Teenage Superstars - he loved the Glasgow scene so he’s one of the main talking heads throughout

Sounds like an interesting evening. Daydream Nation is a cracking album!
It certainly is, am listening to it atm, havent listened to it in ages, its great!

Ahhh, and you reminded me that Thurston is a big commentator in Teenage Superstars - he loved the Glasgow scene so he’s one of the main talking heads throughout
yeah think himself and Norman are pretty good buddies. Amazing band live sonic youth, remember seeing them at a festival and they had the whole crowd in the palm of their hands which is hard to do at a festival.

Last edited:
Watched the sequel to the Big Gold Dream movie this weekend - Teenage Superstars - well worth a watch if you’ve not seen it and have a passing interest in Scottish indie. It takes up from where BGD ends and covers the Glasgow/Bellshill scene from mid80s to early 90s - Teenage Fanclub, Soup Dragons, BMX Bandits, Pastels, Vaselines, JAMC, Creation Records etc

Sounds great. Where did you see it ? I presume it’s on YouTube.

I missed the new Skinny Lister album off (that's come up via Rough Trade).
I popped in here just to see if anyone had mentioned this. Excellent live band and the new album is a bit of a departure from the previous albums as it is less folk/punk and more general indie type stuff with various influences in different songs.

I popped in here just to see if anyone had mentioned this. Excellent live band and the new album is a bit of a departure from the previous albums as it is less folk/punk and more general indie type stuff with various influences in different songs.
Yup, listened to it this morning - definitely more mainstream, as @Arkle suggested given the direction of the last one, but still plenty hints of folk here and there. They toured with Frank Turner over here 3-4 years ago, I'd never heard of them but saw them 2 nights, and I enjoyed it enough to buy Deptford Broadway. He's bringing them back over in May for his festival up in Boston, so I'm looking forward to going up for that and seeing them again - their energy is infectious live

Yup, listened to it this morning - definitely more mainstream, as @Arkle suggested given the direction of the last one, but still plenty hints of folk here and there. They toured with Frank Turner over here 3-4 years ago, I'd never heard of them but saw them 2 nights, and I enjoyed it enough to buy Deptford Broadway. He's bringing them back over in May for his festival up in Boston, so I'm looking forward to going up for that and seeing them again - their energy is infectious live
I've seen them live five times over the past few years and that is definitely where they are at their best. I've heard a few of the tracks on the new album live and also some were released in advance of the album. One of the biggest changes is that it is bass guitar rather than double bass on some tracks on the new album.

Working through new and newish releases gradually over the weekend. Thus far:

Ustad Saami - this may be a tad niche. He's a 75 year old Pakistani classical singer who sings traditional pre-Islamic songs in a variety of languages. Certainly an interesting listen
Durand Jones & the Indications - not quite so niche. Old school soul basically. Good fun and well performed!
Pond - I like but no sure I love this. May take more listens but I think I preferred them when they were a bit more garage rock.
Little Simz - exciting and inventive. Hopefully with this, she'll get the attention and sales that a lot of male UK hiphop artists get.
The Hare & Hoofe - quite brilliant and also quite mental! Imagine the Super Furries jamming with Sparks then go weirder. Came out last year, I believe and much championed by Marc RIley. Ostensibly an EP but they've included a suite version of all 8 tracks running together. Everyone's new favourite band!
Robert Forster - literate, understated pop songs. Basically, what Forster has been doing for decades. Very good!
Self Esteem - I always kind of liked Slow Club, although to a degree there were diminishing returns as the albums rolled by. Both members have now made their solo debuts and both are really good. Charles Watson's album from mid to late last year is a proper grower. This is more immediate ans, essentially, R&B influenced indiepop, if that makes sense.
Cactus Blossoms - harmony based countryish band who were on of the bands who played The Roadhouse in season 3 of Twin Peaks. A good listen. There's an Everly Brothers feel at times, Roy Orbison-ish at others.

Still got a few things to work through (including Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard, of course).

Liking the Hand Habits album a lot (languid singer songwriter stuff). The Skinny Lister album has its moments. Snapped Ankles likewise (but also some rubbish on there). Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard are, as @Mickdundee described them, a female fronted stoner rock band from Wales. Their album's pretty good...

Back