New Music Releases Thread

We get properly into new release territory this week with albums from Aesop Rock & Tobacco, Alice Merton, Cody Johnson, Deerhunter. Future, Guster, James Blake, Joe Jackson, Juliana Hatfield, Lost Under Heaven (AKA LUH, Ellery Roberts fro Wu Lyf's new thing), Maggie Rogers, Mike Posner, Papa Roach, Pedro the Lion, Sharon van Etten, Steve Gunn, Steve Mason, Switchfoot, The Twilight Sad, Toro y Moi, Whitehorse, Raoul Vignal, The Steel Woods, Night Beats, Julian Lynch, Angelo de Augustine, Buke & Gaze, Liz Brasher and the mighty Trollfest.

Quite a lot there for me!

We get properly into new release territory this week with albums from Aesop Rock & Tobacco, Alice Merton, Cody Johnson, Deerhunter. Future, Guster, James Blake, Joe Jackson, Juliana Hatfield, Lost Under Heaven (AKA LUH, Ellery Roberts fro Wu Lyf's new thing), Maggie Rogers, Mike Posner, Papa Roach, Pedro the Lion, Sharon van Etten, Steve Gunn, Steve Mason, Switchfoot, The Twilight Sad, Toro y Moi, Whitehorse, Raoul Vignal, The Steel Woods, Night Beats, Julian Lynch, Angelo de Augustine, Buke & Gaze, Liz Brasher and the mighty Trollfest.

Deerhunter, Juliana Hatfield, Lost under Heaven, SVE, Steve Gunn, Steve Mason and the Twilight Sad for me?

Deerhunter, Juliana Hatfield, Lost under Heaven, SVE, Steve Gunn, Steve Mason and the Twilight Sad for me?

Most of them for me. Everything I listed from Raoul Vignal to Liz Brasher got good reviews in Uncut recently so I need to see why I noted them as worth a listen as well (well, Angelo de Augustine because his previous album was excellent). Also, trying to remember whether I'm getting Maggie Rogers mixed up with someone else...

Papa roach are still going?!?

That surprised me TBH!

Quite a lot this week. I’ll prioritise Juliana Hatfield and Aesop Rock and there’s about another 3 or 4 to get through if I have time. I think there’s a new Ryan Adams single coming tomorrow too!

Next week is hopefully the return to form of Michael Franti (the last 2 have been horrendous) and the new Dandy Warhols album, neithe of which will appeal to anyone except me.

Quite a lot this week. I’ll prioritise Juliana Hatfield and Aesop Rock and there’s about another 3 or 4 to get through if I have time. I think there’s a new Ryan Adams single coming tomorrow too!

Next week is hopefully the return to form of Michael Franti (the last 2 have been horrendous) and the new Dandy Warhols album, neithe of which will appeal to anyone except me.

Not so bothered about Dandy Warhols but, at his best, Michael Franti was always very good. I suspect it's a long, long time since I listened to a new Spearhead album though. There's a few interesting things out next week but I'm off on my work travels again so will probably listen to them on my return.

New Deerhunter is getting some good reviews so I’m looking forward to that. Will give James Blake a listen although I’ve never really ‘got’ him.

Papa Roach :lol: Had no idea they were still around either!

New Deerhunter is getting some good reviews so I’m looking forward to that. Will give James Blake a listen although I’ve never really ‘got’ him.

Papa Roach :lol: Had no idea they were still around either!
I didnt either for a long time but loved the single from last year "Don't miss it" which is on the new album and just revisited his older stuff, really like him now

I’ve just realised James Blake isn’t James Bay :confused:

I thought it was a bit bizarre that the SMB were all looking forward to him!

Not so bothered about Dandy Warhols but, at his best, Michael Franti was always very good. I suspect it's a long, long time since I listened to a new Spearhead album though.
I saw him live twice in the mid 00s (TITP 2004 and Edinburgh Corn Exchange in 2006 or 2007) and for a while everything he did was brilliant. I think his problem was he got less angry after Obama was elected, hopefully he’s spent the last few years stewing over Trump!

Last edited:

Back