New Music Releases Thread

Working at home a lot at the moment so I’m catching up with last year’s releases that I never listened to. Really enjoyed both Suede and the Arctic Monkeys albums, and I’m really not a fan of the latter usually.

So, first set of releases this year. New stuff from Jacob Banks, Randy Hauser, Rob Baird, Soilwork, The Delines, You Tell Me and Kaia Kater. I'll give the last three a listen. Things properly pick up next week.

as there's nowt new attracting old giddy's ears he's been catching up on stuff he missed last year based on some the end of year lists. very much enjoying gaz coombes and sm and the jicks there mate

Listened to it a couple of times today as been travelling and it’s very good indeed. Disappointed I’m missing gig tonight now.
It was spot on. Parastatic seem to get better every time I see them and there was plenty of power from them.(apparently recording at the moment)
Lorelle meets the Obsolete were also excellent however I thought they could have extended/intensified their freak-out sections to really do some damage. Overall a great night.

So, the stuff I've been listening to this week...

The Delines - an excellent album of country soul. Songs, as with most of what Willy Vlautin writes, are story based.
Kaia Kater - her previous albums were primarily her and her banjo, this has more full band stuff, alongside her dad's recollections of the US invasion of Grenada and how he ended up living in Canada as a consequence. Really, really good. Just about my album of the week!
You Tell Me - Pete Brewis and Sarah Hayes of Admiral Fallow. Being a Brewis brother project, production-wise, it sounds a bit like Field Music but with female lead vocals on a fair few songs and male/female harmonies on others but there's more of a folk thing going on as far as some of the songs are concerned. Really enjoyable!
Lorelle Meets the Obsolete - interesting. As discussed in the thread, shoegazey psychedelia, vocals primarily in Spanish (oddly their earloier albums were in English, I believe). May need a few listens to engage properly.
Tallies - Canadian female fronted indiepop. Apparently some/all of them used to be in Thrifty Kids, which doesn't mean a lot to me. Pleasant songs, all well put together, probably not anything you haven't heard previously. Rough Trade Shops are tipping them for big things.

The Delines - an excellent album of country soul. Songs, as with most of what Willy Vlautin writes, are story based.
Kaia Kater - her previous albums were primarily her and her banjo, this has more full band stuff, alongside her dad's recollections of the US invasion of Grenada and how he ended up living in Canada as a consequence. Really, really good. Just about my album of the week!
You Tell Me - Pete Brewis and Sarah Hayes of Admiral Fallow. Being a Brewis brother project, production-wise, it sounds a bit like Field Music but with female lead vocals on a fair few songs and male/female harmonies on others but there's more of a folk thing going on as far as some of the songs are concerned. Really enjoyable!
Lorelle Meets the Obsolete - interesting. As discussed in the thread, shoegazey psychedelia, vocals primarily in Spanish (oddly their earloier albums were in English, I believe). May need a few listens to engage properly.
Tallies - Canadian female fronted indiepop. Apparently some/all of them used to be in Thrifty Kids, which doesn't mean a lot to me. Pleasant songs, all well put together, probably not anything you haven't heard previously. Rough Trade Shops are tipping them for big things.
The Delines are playing the Gosforth Civic Theatre in a couple of weeks - very much looking forward to it.

I believe you just created a new category of music/people. Hippie Hipster.

More psych at the Cluny this Saturday with a personal favourite The Kundalini Genie playing support to Snakes Don’t Belong in Alaska who are due to release their new album of super heavy doom psychedelia which I’m sure won’t be for the faint hearted.

Back