New Music Releases Thread

Getting quieter each week for new releases. This week we have albums from Art Brut,Bauhaus (unreleased tracks, I believe), Dan Reed Network, Dipset, Ed Harcourt, Frakkur (Jonsi from Sigur Ros), Jacco Gardner, Ny Brightest Diamond, Rita Ora and Alan Hawkshaw & Brian Bennett.

Right. I've noticed I'm becoming increasingly less adventurous in my musical tastes and want to discover some new stuff. Recommend me some guitar based bands that lean towards the 'rock' end of the spectrum. And some quality female artists. And a bit of 'World music' that may have passed me by (West African, Mali/Senegal etc.)
Cheers.

Right. I've noticed I'm becoming increasingly less adventurous in my musical tastes and want to discover some new stuff. Recommend me some guitar based bands that lean towards the 'rock' end of the spectrum. And some quality female artists. And a bit of 'World music' that may have passed me by (West African, Mali/Senegal etc.)
Cheers.
Guitar based bands - Flat Worms, Parquet Courts, Bodega, Protomartyr, Limananas

Female artists - Sharon Van Etten, Julien Baker, Mitski, Japanese Breakfast, Cat Power, Anna Calvi

World - I’m not the strongest, @Arkle will help, but definitely Songhoy Blues

Guitar based bands - Flat Worms, Parquet Courts, Bodega, Protomartyr, Limananas

Female artists - Sharon Van Etten, Julien Baker, Mitski, Japanese Breakfast, Cat Power, Anna Calvi

World - I’m not the strongest, @Arkle will help, but definitely Songhoy Blues

Yep, Songhoy Blues would be a must. I'd also say Fatoumata Diawara (both for world music and female artists) and maybe include Melissa Laveaux as well (she's Haitian/Canadian). I'll include Ifriqiyya Electrique as well and, amongst my personal faves, TootArd (they're Syrian).

I might include both Shame and Idles in the guitar based bands (to add some UK interest). I'd also include The Lemon Twigs for theatrical valueand I would have to include both Ty Segall and Oh Sees/The Oh Sees/OCS.

With regard to female artists, Dawn Landes is very good, Julia Holter is generally excellent (although her new album is a tad long). I'll mention Anna Calvi as well (her new album is very good) and also both Courtney Barnett and Nadine Shah (both discussed a fair bit on here). Let's Eat Grandma are also worth a listen (more synthy than rocky though) and Neko Case is consistently good.

Yep, Songhoy Blues would be a must. I'd also say Fatoumata Diawara (both for world music and female artists) and maybe include Melissa Laveaux as well (she's Haitian/Canadian). I'll include Ifriqiyya Electrique as well and, amongst my personal faves, TootArd (they're Syrian).

I might include both Shame and Idles in the guitar based bands (to add some UK interest). I'd also include The Lemon Twigs for theatrical valueand I would have to include both Ty Segall and Oh Sees/The Oh Sees/OCS.

With regard to female artists, Dawn Landes is very good, Julia Holter is generally excellent (although her new album is a tad long). I'll mention Anna Calvi as well (her new album is very good) and also both Courtney Barnett and Nadine Shah (both discussed a fair bit on here). Let's Eat Grandma are also worth a listen (more synthy than rocky though) and Neko Case is consistently good.
Cant get into that new lets eat grandma album even though I liked the first one. I'd add Soccer Mommy to the female artists list, shit name but great album. Liking the Snail mail album that came out around the same time too.

Cant get into that new lets eat grandma album even though I liked the first one. I'd add Soccer Mommy to the female artists list, shit name but great album. Liking the Snail mail album that came out around the same time too.

Aye, I like the Soccer Mommy album a lot as well, much better than the early singles compilation from last year.

Cheers.
Female artists:
Laura Veirs (folky indie-pop)
Sarah Shook and the Disarmers (outlaw country)
Neko Case (indie-pop, has down a bit of alt-country and folky stuff in the past but does experiment a bit)

Rock is such a wide-reaching term, but:
The Living End (been around since the mid-late 90s and have evolved a lot over the years - released an album in September which is their best in 15 years)
The Interrupters (2-tone influenced ska-punk)
Supersuckers (like the Living End they’ve been around for ages and have just done their 30th anniversary tour. Have just released their best album in almost 20 years -Garage Rock / Classic Rock / punk / country)

Fgjik

So, Album of the year time. Piccadilly, Drowned in Sound etc have released theirs so here goes.

Hookworms - Microshift.
Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt.
Amen Dunes - Freedom.
Jon Hopkins - Singularity.
Father John Misty - gods favourite customer
Arctic Monkeys - Tranquility Base Hotel
TVAM - Pychic Data.
Confidence Man - Confident music...
The KVB - Only now forever
The Liminanas - Shadow People.

Hats off also to Lucid Dream, Sink ya Teeth, Frost, immersions, C.A.R, George Fitzgerald, Moby.

A very good year.

Last edited:
Fgjik

So, Album of the year time. Piccadilly, Drowned in Sound etc have released theirs so here goes.

Hookworms - Microshift.
Amen Dunes - Freedom.
TVAM - Pychic Data.

Hats off also to Lucid Dream, Sink ya Teeth, Frost, immersions, C.A.R, George Fitzgerald, Moby.

A very good year.
Sarah Shook & The Disarmers - Years
Andy Cooper - The Layered Effect
The Allergies - Steal The Show
Hookworms - Microshift
The Interrupters - Fight The Good Fight
The Living End - Wunderbar
Fantastic Negrito - Please Don’t Be Dead
Rayland Baxter - Wide Awake
Supersuckers - Suck It
The Rumjacks - Saints Preserve Us

Fgjik

Hookworms - Microshift.
Amen Dunes - Freedom.
TVAM - Pychic Data.

A very good year.
Parquet Courts
Flasher
Spiritualized
Bodega
Phosphorescent
Suede
Limananas
BC Camplight
boygenius
Primo
Daniel Bachman