New Music Releases Thread

Haway @James

Albums of the year?

I've had a shite year for music. Seem to have enjoyed the pop records the most.

Jens Lekman
Ulrika Spacek
Happyness
Ariel Pink
Alex Cameron
Girl Ray
Protomartyr

Probably played those the most. All very good.

Lately been listening to loads of Hello Shark, Friendship and Free Cake For Every Creature (yeah I'll accept that is a woeful name). They're all great and would recommend you give them a spin.

Since there’s nothing particularly exciting for the rest of the year (Sufjan, NERD and Charles Hayward & Thurston Moore aside), and we’ve already declared our albums of the year, what’s everyone looking forward to in 2018?

There’s new Dean Ween Group out in February and there are 2 new Mahones records (a new studio album, and an acoustic album). Not aware of anything else to get excited about so far.

Really wish I could post a top 10 but doubt I've actually listened to that many new albums this year. Haven't had my finger on the pulse with new music recently as I usually would do. Hoping to get back on it though. Using my lasses Spotify. :cool:

Anyways Ariel Pink album of the year, doesn't quite reach the heights of Pom Pom but still a cracker. Ive probably already posted something similar around the time it was released in here as well like. :lol:

Kendrick Lamar a very, very close second.

Last edited:
Mount Eerie & Big KRIT (the best hip hop album in the two and a half years since To Pimp a Butterfly) are the stand outs for me. Hurray for the Riff Raff, Jay-Z and Rapsody probably make up the top five.

not a vintage year by any means imo. in no particular order- japandriods, moon duo, idles, sleaford, Slowdive, woods, brian jonestown, the dears, morby, sheer mag, beach fossils, ulrika, oh sees, the mighty fall, lcd, Godspeed, bicep, blancmange.

Well, it's a tad redundant but this week's new releases come from Bjork, Noely G's HFB, Sufjan, SECT (vegan straight edge hardcore) and a Weird Al boxset. Bjork and Sufjan for me.

I've spent the week listening to some of the last couple of weeks new releases. Not impressed by the latest King Gizzard, opening track aside. Karl Blau is good in parts. Sleigh bells ho hum, treading water.

Major positives for Charlotte Gainsbourg, Angel Olsen, Spinning Coin, Peter Oren, Jim White (his best in a long time), Abigail Washburn & Bela Fleck, Gun Outfit, OCS and Mavis Staples though. Gainsbourg, Oren and White are all corkers!

Since there’s nothing particularly exciting for the rest of the year (Sufjan, NERD and Charles Hayward & Thurston Moore aside), and we’ve already declared our albums of the year, what’s everyone looking forward to in 2018?

There’s new Dean Ween Group out in February and there are 2 new Mahones records (a new studio album, and an acoustic album). Not aware of anything else to get excited about so far.

There's still new albums to come in 2017 from Jim James, Neil Young and Chris Stapleton (also U2 but we can gloss over that).

Early stuff next year for me from First Aid Kit, Calexico, Tune-Yards, The Go Team, Field Music, Django Django, Marlon Williams, Ought, Franz Ferdinand and Belle & Sebastian. Think that covers roughly to mid Feb.

It’s not as good though.

Agreed.

Well, it's a tad redundant but this week's new releases come from Bjork, Noely G's HFB, Sufjan, SECT (vegan straight edge hardcore) and a Weird Al boxset. Bjork and Sufjan for me.

I've spent the week listening to some of the last couple of weeks new releases. Not impressed by the latest King Gizzard, opening track aside. Karl Blau is good in parts. Sleigh bells ho hum, treading water.

Major positives for Charlotte Gainsbourg, Angel Olsen, Spinning Coin, Peter Oren, Jim White (his best in a long time), Abigail Washburn & Bela Fleck, Gun Outfit, OCS and Mavis Staples though. Gainsbourg, Oren and White are all corkers!

Didn't realise Sufjans is basically demos and remixes.

Last edited:
Uncut loved it (album of the month). The only bad review I can find online is in The Independent, which is pretty scathing...

Id only seen that and another and both gave it 1 out of 5. Had another look and plenty are raving about it. Fuck it, Im going in blind and buying it tomorrow along with Sufjans and Noels.

Back