New Music Releases Thread

shaun keavney played a song by them this morning, had some lass on vocals which i thought was kanny... but i'm guessing the album doesnt go any further then.

It's all very nice and every track probably sounds really good heard individually. There's just not that much change of pace.

This week's new releases come from Billy Ray Cyrus, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Evanescence, Ian Svenonius, Quicksand, Sleigh Bells (a min album), Smokey Robinson (a Christmas album), Taylor Swift, Teen Daze, Spinning Coin, Peter Oren, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, Jim White, Gun Outfit, Husker Du (their boxset of early stuff).

I'm flying to Vietnam later today so not so sure how much I'll be able to listen to immediately.

This week's new releases come from Billy Ray Cyrus, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Evanescence, Ian Svenonius, Quicksand, Sleigh Bells (a min album), Smokey Robinson (a Christmas album), Taylor Swift, Teen Daze, Spinning Coin, Peter Oren, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, Jim White, Gun Outfit, Husker Du (their boxset of early stuff).

I'm flying to Vietnam later today so not so sure how much I'll be able to listen to immediately.

You’ve missed the one I’m most excited about, Radnor and Lee, which is a collaboration between one of my heroes (Ben Lee) and the sitcom actor Josh Radnor (of “How I Met Yor Mother” fame).

The singles haven’t been up to the standard of Ben Lee’s other output (the crazy “Ayahuasca...” album aside) but he is the master of the 3 minute pop song so it should be decent.

That and Husker Du for me this week.

Last edited:

You missed the album by DNASH mate

On a bit of a Mountain Goats tear again at the moment, cramming before seeing them tonight, so please humour me. Didn't see any mention of their midOctober release - a return to the lo-fi days with the sparse, 5-track, acoustic Marsh Witch Visions EP.

Also thoroughly enjoying the podcast "I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats" - I know we don't usually recommend podcasts on here, but there is a new album at the end of this one. Each month the host sits down with John Darnielle to discuss songwriting and a particular MG song. Then a guest musician plays a cover of said song. They're currently going track by track through All Hail West Texas. This month it's Jenny. Got switched onto it a couple of months ago after hearing Laura Jane Grace's cracking version of The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton. The album of all the covers comes out in April.

http://www.nightvalepresents.com/ionlylistentothemountaingoats

Finally they seem to have some sort of collaboration album out this past week with Lana Joy called This Little Light. It's on Spotify but I haven't listened yet. Can't find out too much about it other than it's a collection of traditional Americana, I think, that's aimed to appeal to kids as well as adults.

@Arkle you missed the fact that there is a new Angel Olsen (rarities I think). I hope you think of us on your sex holiday

It's work (but not sex work). Noticed something on Rough Trade's new releases list... seems like an interesting city. Details of Ho Chi Minh possibly for a thread once I get back. Yet to find any sources of excellent and rare Vietnamese music. Could have paid 3 quid or so for a packet of Colman's sausage casserole mix in some sort of Western shop one of my colleagues wanted to go in this evening though. Haribo were cheaper than at home (but no Sour Mix to be seen!).

Ride at the boiler shop on Monday were more than decent. Not many under 40s there. Set list was a little too heavy on the new album but can't argue too much as they played about 1 hour 50 mins.

This week's new releases come live from a room full of PCs (and people) in Vietnam. The big one for a fair few thread regulars is the 4th of the year from King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Polygondwanaland, which is available as a free download today (I think). For one of us, the big one is the new Barenaked Ladies album (Fake Nudes). Beyond that, in an eclectic mix we have releases from Baths, Charlotte Gainsnbourg, Fieldy (Korn's bassist), GBH, Ghost Atlas, Godflesh, Katharine McPhee, Mavis Staples, Morrissey, OCS (Oh Sees' folkier offshoot), Paloma Faith, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings (posthumous release), Sia (a Christmas album), T-Pain, Tim McGraw & Faith Hill, Tove Lo and Karl Blau.

This week's new releases come live from a room full of PCs (and people) in Vietnam. The big one for a fair few thread regulars is the 4th of the year from King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Polygondwanaland, which is available as a free download today (I think). For one of us, the big one is the new Barenaked Ladies album (Fake Nudes). Beyond that, in an eclectic mix we have releases from Baths, Charlotte Gainsnbourg, Fieldy (Korn's bassist), GBH, Ghost Atlas, Godflesh, Katharine McPhee, Mavis Staples, Morrissey, OCS (Oh Sees' folkier offshoot), Paloma Faith, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings (posthumous release), Sia (a Christmas album), T-Pain, Tim McGraw & Faith Hill, Tove Lo and Karl Blau.
Great effort from Vietnam this.

Quite a lot there that interest me this week. Obviously Fake Nudes will take precedence but I’ll also be checking out the Gizz, Godflesh, Moz and Karl Blau.

Seeing as Uncut have published their albums of the year, we can do the same.

My top 10 in alphabetical order

Granddaddy - Last Place
H.Grimace - Self Architect
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
Mountain Goats - Goths
Mogwai - Every Country’s Sun
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
Oh Sees - Orc
Protomarty - Relatives in Descent
Richard Dawson - Peasant
St Vincent - MASSEDUCTION

just missing out were the National (a weak album by their standards), Neil Young (technically not new I know), Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Jen Cloher, Broken Social Scene, Ulrika Spacek, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Thurston Moore, VENN, Slowdive and Moonlandingz

Edit: I fucked up the alphabet at M

Back