New Music Releases Thread

Couple of plays on the new Everything Everything record, first song is fantastic. Album seems pretty good but didn't enjoy it as much as the previous one. Lead singer's still screeching all the way through obviously.

Brand New's album is out now as well I see. Gonna have to buy it if it doesn't appear on Spotify within a day or two. Can't wait much longer than that.
I was just coming on here to post about the first song!

Listened to Duke Spirit's new album Sky Is Mine, unfortunately its as slow and bland as Kin. Annoying as everything they'd done up until Kin was tremendous. Shame.

Agreed about both Jen Cloher and Downtown Boys. The former may well be better than her younger, hipper girlfriend's proper debut. The latter is a bit dull, just shouty punk sometimes in Spanish, kicks off with their best song. Other stuff I've listened to:

Hamell on Trial: I'm a fan. Not sure how it compares to the previous albums (there's nothing quite as addictive as "Halfway" or hilarious as either "Blood of the Wolf" or "John Lennon" here) but still very good and I'd encourage people to investigate his back catalogue.
The Cribs: it's okayishly okay. A bit more raw than the last album but didn't really grab me by the stupid hairdo.
David Rawlings: really, really good. Bluegrass/country, good songs.
Frankie Rose: a highly enjoyable 40 mins or so of sophisto-indie.

Listening to Paul Draper now but only one song in.

New release list for this week will probably be posted on Wednesday as I'm off to Green Man on Thursday.
David Rawlings, that'll do me like ...thanks

UNKLE and Ghostpoet both sound good on first listen

Gold Class didn't grab me like the first record but will give it another shot

Grizzly Bear. Ditto. But I've never loved them, they bored the shit out of me live

Interested to know what @James makes of the new Cribs album? Absymal name aside I like it, last album reminded me of Pinkerton-era Weezer and I can only guess they've smoked a lot of weed and listened to Nirvana/Pixies for this one!

I thought it was shite if that helps mate ;)

Used to love them but they've gone a bit stale in my opinion. Been rubbish for a while.

I thought it was shite if that helps mate ;)

Used to love them but they've gone a bit stale in my opinion. Been rubbish for a while.

I assume you're replying to me? I actually quite like the trajectory of their albums (that sounds wanky as fuck but you know what I mean!). Similar to Arctic Monkeys, I like how they haven't stayed doing the same thing for years. Can tell Albini is involved of course.

Edit: obviously neither band have strayed too far from their starting point

I assume you're replying to me? I actually quite like the trajectory of their albums (that sounds wanky as fuck but you know what I mean!). Similar to Arctic Monkeys, I like how they haven't stayed doing the same thing for years. Can tell Albini is involved of course.

Edit: obviously neither band have strayed too far from their starting point

Aye sorry mate, meant to quote you. Don't know how I didn't realise I'd not clicked it :lol:

Quite a few of my friends love them and share a similar view to you. I'm not a proper Cribs fan so to speak, my favourite album of theirs is Ignore the Ignorant which is a world away from the rest of their albums obviously. Big fan of the first two as well but I just think they've tailed off a bit now and lost their spark for me.

The new UNKLE album is excellent. Lavelles best work in some time.
I'm right in a Mark Lanegan phase at the moment so love his vocal appearance.

Agreed about both Jen Cloher and Downtown Boys. The former may well be better than her younger, hipper girlfriend's proper debut. The latter is a bit dull, just shouty punk sometimes in Spanish, kicks off with their best song. Other stuff I've listened to:

Hamell on Trial: I'm a fan. Not sure how it compares to the previous albums (there's nothing quite as addictive as "Halfway" or hilarious as either "Blood of the Wolf" or "John Lennon" here) but still very good and I'd encourage people to investigate his back catalogue.
The Cribs: it's okayishly okay. A bit more raw than the last album but didn't really grab me by the stupid hairdo.
David Rawlings: really, really good. Bluegrass/country, good songs.
Frankie Rose: a highly enjoyable 40 mins or so of sophisto-indie.

Listening to Paul Draper now but only one song in.

New release list for this week will probably be posted on Wednesday as I'm off to Green Man on Thursday.

Enjoying the Frankie Rose album.

Interested to know what @James makes of the new Cribs album? Absymal name aside I like it, last album reminded me of Pinkerton-era Weezer and I can only guess they've smoked a lot of weed and listened to Nirvana/Pixies for this one!

It's actually alright. I'm kind of sick of them now though, I can't even be arsed to see them on this tour. I listened to it quite a lot when it was first released but I just can't see myself returning to it at any point really.

Just back from Green Man and I bring great tidings of great tides (it rained a fair bit yesterday). I managed not to see a main stage headliner for a variety of reasons but did meet up briefly with @GTG before Hurray for the Riff Raff played and also can now say that I have shaken hands with Josh T Pearson and congratulated him on a storming set the previous evening with Lift to Experience as he was being driven across the site to the Rough Trade tent for a signing on the back of a golf cart (with the rest of the band). Anyway, musical highlights included BadBadNotGood, Happyness, Kikagaku Moyo (Japanese psych rock), Hurray for the Riff Raff, Karl Blau, British Sea Power, Lift to Experience, Grumbling Fur, Doomsquad, Big Thief, Alasdair Roberts, Trembling Bells, Yorkston Thorne Khan, Melt Yourself Down, Circulus, Wolf People, Michael Chapman, Richard Dawson and Julian Cope...

Just back from Green Man and I bring great tidings of great tides (it rained a fair bit yesterday). I managed not to see a main stage headliner for a variety of reasons but did meet up briefly with @GTG before Hurray for the Riff Raff played and also can now say that I have shaken hands with Josh T Pearson and congratulated him on a storming set the previous evening with Lift to Experience as he was being driven across the site to the Rough Trade tent for a signing on the back of a golf cart (with the rest of the band). Anyway, musical highlights included BadBadNotGood, Happyness, Kikagaku Moyo (Japanese psych rock), Hurray for the Riff Raff, Karl Blau, British Sea Power, Lift to Experience, Grumbling Fur, Doomsquad, Big Thief, Alasdair Roberts, Trembling Bells, Yorkston Thorne Khan, Melt Yourself Down, Circulus, Wolf People, Michael Chapman, Richard Dawson and Julian Cope...

I shook that same hand in the Pieminster queue (me, not him). "Thank you, brother" he said. Did remind me to dig out 'Last Of The Country Gentlemen' when I get home.

I saw all the mainstage headliners as it happens, all for the first time. Polly Harvey put on an outstanding show, a proper festival closer. Ryan Adams was fine but just a bit full-on. He had 2 unused acoustic guitars next to him throughout a long set. Big disappointment for me were Future Islands, Sam was Sam and the overall sound is good but the songs just blur into one, all the same pace and mood. Left halfway through to watch Kate Tempest and wish I'd gone earlier.

Would say the Wave Pictures/This Is The Kit afternoon was my favourite and also add massive thumbs ups for Field Music, Big Thief, Conor Oberst and the lovely Hinds. Enjoyed Sleaford Mods for half an hour too!

Brilliant weekend as usual and won £700 on the NPFL yesterday to make it even better!

I shook that same hand in the Pieminster queue (me, not him). "Thank you, brother" he said. Did remind me to dig out 'Last Of The Country Gentlemen' when I get home.

I saw all the mainstage headliners as it happens, all for the first time. Polly Harvey put on an outstanding show, a proper festival closer. Ryan Adams was fine but just a bit full-on. He had 2 unused acoustic guitars next to him throughout a long set. Big disappointment for me were Future Islands, Sam was Sam and the overall sound is good but the songs just blur into one, all the same pace and mood. Left halfway through to watch Kate Tempest and wish I'd gone earlier.

Would say the Wave Pictures/This Is The Kit afternoon was my favourite and also add massive thumbs ups for Field Music, Big Thief, Conor Oberst and the lovely Hinds. Enjoyed Sleaford Mods for half an hour too!

Brilliant weekend as usual and won £700 on the NPFL yesterday to make it even better!

Would have loved to see This Is The Kit. A lot of the others I wanted to see (Julie Byrne, Nadia Reid, Aldous Harding, Julia Jacklin) are playing End of the Road so will get a second chance there...

Would have loved to see This Is The Kit. A lot of the others I wanted to see (Julie Byrne, Nadia Reid, Aldous Harding, Julia Jacklin) are playing End of the Road so will get a second chance there...

Having only ever seen them play in pubs and little tents I was a bit worried about them being on the Mountain Stage but they beefed up the band with some brass and an extra guitarist, and they got the sunniest hour of the weekend (not much competition there! Absolutely seized the moment! It was like Allo Darling finally playing the Woods Stage at EOTR a few years ago.

New album from lindstrom just announced for October. First single Shinin, also just released.
Very nice vocal, house, disco, cosmic.

For those who've enjoyed the Slowdive album (still my favourite of the year so far), Neil Halstead deconstructs Sugar for the Pill on the Song Exploder podcast.

Outstanding album... I'd go along with it being album of the year BUT, War on Drugs new effort is released tomorrow.... streaming for free on their website until late this afternoon

Just tried the Song Exploder Podcast, bit cranky this morning and the 2 minutes of plugs, sponsored by and adverts at the beginning switched me off, I'll try again when I'm more human but looks like a good find, cheers....

Last edited:
UNKLE and Ghostpoet both sound good on first listen

Gold Class didn't grab me like the first record but will give it another shot

Grizzly Bear. Ditto. But I've never loved them, they bored the shit out of me live
:lol::lol: Took my mate to see him at the Cluny. He still takes the piss.

One of the most inept performances I have ever seen.

Back