New Music Releases Thread

So tomorrow's new releases come from: 5 Billion in Diamonds (Butch Vig's new band apparently), David Rawlings, Frankie Rose, Downtown Boys (proper official release), The Cribs, Kesha, Paul Kelly, Oneohtrix Point Never (film soundtrack with an Iggy Pop cameo), Mark Bryan (guitarist from Hootie & the Blowfish, so a Blowfish basically), Jen Cloher (Courtney Barnett's partner), Richard Thompson, Paul Draper (ex-Mansun).

Better than last week, certainly!

Enjoyed my first listen of 5Billion in Diamonds. Quite diverse, almost Zero7-esq in places, a bit rockier in others, with a 60s/70s vibe pulling it together.

First impressions of fridays releases

Jen Cloher - really excellent
Oneohtrix Point Never - a band I should love but I have never got into, enjoyed it and will delve further
Paul Draper - only halfway through but very enjoyable. Sounds like a more arty Mansun
Downtown Boys - was expecting a lot and has had good reviews. A bit disappointing for me

First impressions of fridays releases

Jen Cloher - really excellent
Oneohtrix Point Never - a band I should love but I have never got into, enjoyed it and will delve further
Paul Draper - only halfway through but very enjoyable. Sounds like a more arty Mansun
Downtown Boys - was expecting a lot and has had good reviews. A bit disappointing for me

Agreed about both Jen Cloher and Downtown Boys. The former may well be better than her younger, hipper girlfriend's proper debut. The latter is a bit dull, just shouty punk sometimes in Spanish, kicks off with their best song. Other stuff I've listened to:

Hamell on Trial: I'm a fan. Not sure how it compares to the previous albums (there's nothing quite as addictive as "Halfway" or hilarious as either "Blood of the Wolf" or "John Lennon" here) but still very good and I'd encourage people to investigate his back catalogue.
The Cribs: it's okayishly okay. A bit more raw than the last album but didn't really grab me by the stupid hairdo.
David Rawlings: really, really good. Bluegrass/country, good songs.
Frankie Rose: a highly enjoyable 40 mins or so of sophisto-indie.

Listening to Paul Draper now but only one song in.

New release list for this week will probably be posted on Wednesday as I'm off to Green Man on Thursday.

I see Brand New have just announced their fifth album. Didn't expect them to ever actually release it, I thought they were gone forever. Out in October.

The new Death From Above record is out next month as well, second single just released is pretty awful.

I see Brand New have just announced their fifth album. Didn't expect them to ever actually release it, I thought they were gone forever. Out in October.

The new Death From Above record is out next month as well, second single just released is pretty awful.

I've never really got into Death From Above, which is odd, as by rights they ought to be a band I like.

Back