New Music Releases Thread

Beats 1 is one of the main reasons why I use apple music over spotify . Ovo Sound radio is probably the one I listen to every other week without fail , one mix is good if you're into dance music and elton johns rocket hour is canny good and I'm not even really a fan of his.

Cheers will give them a look. Might give OVO a miss for a while because I'm guessing they'll just be going on about how great Drake is for the time being.

New blog post is up, probably a little less relevant to this thread this week - Steel Panther, Me and That Man, Creeper and Samantha Crain all reviewed:
https://singingthebrews.wordpress.c...nd-that-man-and-samantha-crain-album-reviews/

Agreed about both Samantha Crain and Me and That Man. The latter has released one of the most entertaining albums of the year... Samantha Crain's album is kind of ho-hum. I think she's trying to nudge from Americana to slightly more mainstream and it doesn't quite work.

I've been had a chance to check out the pre-order tracks from the Bodycount and Aimee Mann albums and I'm impressed by both so those albums are definitely on my list for tomorrow.

What else is worth checking out? At the moment it's between British Sea Power, Bob Dylan, Imelda May and Goldfrapp but, being the fame-whore that I am, I'd rather choose an artist that is likely to retweet my blog since I had no retweets this week.

I've been had a chance to check out the pre-order tracks from the Bodycount and Aimee Mann albums and I'm impressed by both so those albums are definitely on my list for tomorrow.

What else is worth checking out? At the moment it's between British Sea Power, Bob Dylan, Imelda May and Goldfrapp but, being the fame-whore that I am, I'd rather choose an artist that is likely to retweet my blog since I had no retweets this week.

Aside from those above, there's releases from Jamiroquai, Jeb Loy Nichols, Julia Holter (a live album), Mastodon, Nelly Furtado, Rodney Crowell, The Mavericks, Wire, Feral Ohms, Hauschka, Coco Hames and Torgeir Waldemar.

As an aside, from last week's releases, Craig Finn's album is good (no great departure from his previous solo stuff or later Hold Steady) and Mount Eerie's album is a difficult listen but incredibly beautiful. Both would have been better choices for you than Samantha Crain.

Looking forward to British Sea Power and Wire.
This week, really been listening to Moonlandingz, gutted missed them at Cluny last week.
My big favourite this week though is the debut from Kelly Lee Owens. Excellent dreampop, synth, house.

Aside from those above, there's releases from Jamiroquai, Jeb Loy Nichols, Julia Holter (a live album), Mastodon, Nelly Furtado, Rodney Crowell, The Mavericks, Wire, Feral Ohms, Hauschka, Coco Hames and Torgeir Waldemar.

As an aside, from last week's releases, Craig Finn's album is good (no great departure from his previous solo stuff or later Hold Steady) and Mount Eerie's album is a difficult listen but incredibly beautiful. Both would have been better choices for you than Samantha Crain.
I dismissed Craig Finn because his picture when you Google him makes him look like a sleazy secondary school teacher.

Yeah I'd thought about Mastodon and Nelly Furtado (her first 2 albums are massive guilty pleasures of mine, then she tried to become an R&B diva with "Maneater" and I never bothered with her other albums) but since I'm already doing Bodycount I didn't want another massively famous artist to risk no retweets too much again.

I dismissed Craig Finn because his picture when you Google him makes him look like a sleazy secondary school teacher.

Yeah I'd thought about Mastodon and Nelly Furtado (her first 2 albums are massive guilty pleasures of mine, then she tried to become an R&B diva with "Maneater" and I never bothered with her other albums) but since I'm already doing Bodycount I didn't want another massively famous artist to risk no retweets too much again.

I'm not sure who I'd recommend of those I listed, if you want a retweet.

Hip hop, you wouldn't like it!

He would fuckin' hate it. :lol:

Btw, having plugged the SMB blog on here to anyone with access to the internet, no one actually looks at it, even out of curiosity. It's bloody hard to get anyone to even having a passing interest in blogs, even if you ended up with a retweet from someone like Kanye West.

Don't let that put you off, don't chase views, just grow things naturally, if it's any good then people will view it anyway over time.

edit. also i'll whack up the february playlist over the weekend, likely Sunday.

He would fuckin' hate it. :lol:

Btw, having plugged the SMB blog on here to anyone with access to the internet, no one actually looks at it, even out of curiosity. It's bloody hard to get anyone to even having a passing interest in blogs, even if you ended up with a retweet from someone like Kanye West.

Don't let that put you off, don't chase views, just grow things naturally, if it's any good then people will view it anyway over time.

edit. also i'll whack up the february playlist over the weekend, likely Sunday.
I'm getting about 30 hits an article without the retweets (probably family friends, co-workers and this place feeing sorry for me) which I'm quite happy with for only been doing it a month, but yeah the followers to hits ratios from the retweets I've got is only about 0.15% (Harland Williams and Ben Lee have about 25k followers and their retweets each got me 35-40 Twitter-referred views).

Last edited:
Just back from seeing The Shins this evening. The new stuff is really very good live, the version of The Fear they did was one of the best things I've ever seen live. Short set, 1.5 hours including encore but superb....

Back