New Music Releases Thread

Any thoughts on the four new Gorillaz songs? I like them. Wish they'd released the Danny Brown one, people that don't know his voice will hate it :lol:

Missed some more releases - Arbouretum's "Song of the Rose" is out today as are new albums by both The Cairo Gang and Bardo Pond.

There are two new Bill Baird albums out on limited edition vinyl (according to Rough Trade) but everywhere else thinks they're out April 28th.

Edit: Also, Nergal, singer of Polish death metal types Behemoth has made a solo album of "stripped-down, melodramatic, sandblasted Americana" which has got a cracking review in today's Guardian.

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading that. Keep up the good work and links.
Thanks for the feedback.

I've been enjoying doing it, and chuffed by the reception I've got from some of the artists I've reviewed (personal messages from Ben Lee and Harland Williams) and the retweets they've given me (although it only seems to result in a 0.15% followers-to-clicks conversion rate)

Edit: Also, Nergal, singer of Polish death metal types Behemoth has made a solo album of "stripped-down, melodramatic, sandblasted Americana" which has got a cracking review in today's Guardian.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Might add that in if I've got time. It's recorded under the name "Me and that Man" BTW

Last edited:
Considering I had pretty much no idea what it would sound like, I'm enjoying Creepers on first listen. It goes a bit "teenybopper post-hardcore/emo" in a couple of places but otherwise very good.

The Jesus and Marychain album is decent enough on first listen. Probably 3 songs too much and it's not really going to encapture a whole new audience, but if you're already a big fan ( as I am ) then you might find it ok.

Soulwax on now and enjoying it. Again, what you'd expect but enjoyable election, disco funk.

Moonlandingz next which looking forward to.

The Jesus and Marychain album is decent enough on first listen. Probably 3 songs too much and it's not really going to encapture a whole new audience, but if you're already a big fan ( as I am ) then you might find it ok.

Soulwax on now and enjoying it. Again, what you'd expect but enjoyable election, disco funk.

Moonlandingz next which looking forward to.
Glad I avoided J&MC then.

As an update to my first listen of Creeper, Samantha Crain is ehas had one listen and Steel Panther is on spin 2.

Not completely convinced by SC, but it has enough for me to think it might be a grower. She seems to be a good story teller lyrically so I need some time to absorb it properly. A stressful morning at work probably didn't help me take it in properly.

Steel Panther have released another Steel Panther album, unsurprisingly- full of overblown 80s style hard rock and lyrics about sex and drugs.

Last edited:
Today looked pretty bare at first glance and it's turned out really quite good. Ton of stuff over the next couple of weeks as well and most likely Kendrick's new album in a fortnight.

Today looked pretty bare at first glance and it's turned out really quite good. Ton of stuff over the next couple of weeks as well and most likely Kendrick's new album in a fortnight.

Aye, next two weeks have a lot of good stuff. Obviously, April's all about the build up to Kasabian Day on April 28th.

Aye, next two weeks have a lot of good stuff. Obviously, April's all about the build up to Kasabian Day on April 28th.

Listened to their new song earlier today for the first time, genuinely amazed at how bad it actually is. Some of their earlier stuff I could probably listen to in small doses but wow.

'Jibber jabber at the bargain booze, reciting Charles Bukowski I got nothing to lose' - My personal highlight of the song.

Listened to their new song earlier today for the first time, genuinely amazed at how bad it actually is. Some of their earlier stuff I could probably listen to in small doses but wow.

'Jibber jabber at the bargain booze, reciting Charles Bukowski I got nothing to lose' - My personal highlight of the song.

It really is dreadful. Noel Fielding, via his fleeting association with them, seems to have turned them into a parody band from The Mighty Boosh.

I loved the first album (I was only 19/20£ and really liked the 2nd, underwhelmednby the 3rd, and never bothered with them after that, but what I have heard is cringeworthy. It must be at least 5 or 6 years since I listened to the first album now so I've no idea if they were genuinely good when they first arrived or whether I was just young and prone to believing the NME hype!

I loved the first album (I was only 19/20£ and really liked the 2nd, underwhelmednby the 3rd, and never bothered with them after that, but what I have heard is cringeworthy. It must be at least 5 or 6 years since I listened to the first album now so I've no idea if they were genuinely good when they first arrived or whether I was just young and prone to believing the NME hype!

How old are you like mate, if you don't mind me asking?

What was Chunky banned for this week? Has been noticeable in his absence.

Back