New livery scamera vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to see where this lay-by is. Where is it? The only lay-by I've ever seen on that road is on the side of the road you'd be driving on where you heading North East towards Sunderland from Houghton-le-Spring.
So you're arguing with people when you don't even know where the location is? Fuckin brilliant.

And both Durham and Sunderland Councils, unless the councils are wrong about their own roads? Don't let that get in the way of you having a petty little dig at me though.

Can you show me where this lay-by is that they use to catch the westbound traffic then?
I'll listen to Durham Constabulary and Northumbria Constabulary, I think they know the roads better than some desk waller.

Last edited:

Angry? No frustrated by jumped up little pricks who believe they know it all, like you assumed I think I'm above the rules of the road. I drive with a great deal of care and attention, I'm courteous to other road users as I appreciate some aren't as experienced as others. As for your question, no I have never been caught speeding in the near 27 years I've been driving.

Speed cameras have there uses but deploying them on a stretch of road where there's been no accidents or people killed achieves what exactly? Deploying them at the bottom of hills where there's been no accidents or people killed achieves what exactly? If they put the speed camera in a position to stop people speeding towards the place where accidents and someone was killed then you'd be correct, however they don't, they deploy them in locations to make money, it's as simple as that.

I also drive an Audi Q5. :lol:

There have been plenty of accidents on that road. I'm looking at a map of all car accidents since 2009 and there are plenty on that road. More than enough to justify enforcing the speed limit.

Well I apologise for suggesting you believe yourself to be above the rules of the road. You are evidently, a careful driver. I'm sure you'll understand that most people who take exception to speed cameras, like yourself, seem to have little regard for speed limits or other motorists.

I'm sure the money does come into it, but that isn't the primary motivation for enforcing the speed limit. If people didn't speed, they wouldn't make a penny, yet people do speed...

It's difficult to spot on Google maps. The obvious one (that you seem to be referring to) is on the Eastbound carriageway at the top of Houghton Cut.

The one we're all referring to is on the opposite side of the road a little bit further Eastward. On Google maps it's partially obscured by overhanging trees.

Seems like an excellent spot to put a speed camera van if you can't even see it. I've driven on that road both northbound and southbound plenty of times, never noticed it. Seen the other one of course.

So you're arguing with people when you don't even know where the location is? Fuckin brilliant.

I'll listen to Durham Constabulary and Northumbria Constabulary, I think they know the roads better than some desk waller.

What's your problem with people who work at desks? :lol: :lol:

Do you always go on with people on here like this or are you just feeling like being a keyboard warrior tonight?

I'll be in the North East this weekend. Might take a look at this lay-by and drive past at exactly 49.9mph.

There have been plenty of accidents on that road. I'm looking at a map of all car accidents since 2009 and there are plenty on that road. More than enough to justify enforcing the speed limit.

Well I apologise for suggesting you believe yourself to be above the rules of the road. You are evidently, a careful driver. I'm sure you'll understand that most people who take exception to speed cameras, like yourself, seem to have little regard for speed limits or other motorists.

I'm sure the money does come into it, but that isn't the primary motivation for enforcing the speed limit. If people didn't speed, they wouldn't make a penny, yet people do speed...

Seems like an excellent spot to put a speed camera van if you can't even see it. I've driven on that road both northbound and southbound plenty of times, never noticed it. Seen the other one of course.

What's your problem with people who work at desks? :lol: :lol:

Do you always go on with people on here like this or are you just feeling like being a keyboard warrior tonight?

I'll be in the North East this weekend. Might take a look at this lay-by and drive past at exactly 49.9mph.
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.850343,-1.463618,39.68h,-1.42p,3.38z

Who do you think are better to judge the roads, the police who patrol them or someone sat behind a desk?

I am what I am, far from a keyboard warrior, if you were ever fortunate enough to meet me in person you'd see I'm the same on here as I am in real life, I don't have time for people who pretend to be different on here to what they are in reality.

Not sure if the link works but you can copy and paste it. The view is looking East bound, the white car heading West is passing the layby. That is where they put the van, not exactly preventing potential accidents at the Stoneygate junction.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.850343,-1.463618,39.68h,-1.42p,3.38z

Who do you think is better to judge the roads, the police who patrol them or someone sat behind a desk?

I am what I am, far from a keyboard warrior, if you were ever fortunate enough to meet me in person you'd see I'm the same on here as I am in real life, I don't have time for people who pretend to be different on here to what they are in reality.

Not sure if the link works but you can copy and paste it. The view is looking East bound, the white car heading West is passing the layby.

I'm sure you are a lovely bloke mate. Genuinely. Like I say you're clearly a considerate driver.

I'd say the local authority are best placed to say, and the council's own literature refers to the road as being "North East to South West" or "Northbound/Southbound"

Like I say that is really tangential and insignificant.

That lay-by is the one that's on the same side as traffic heading towards Sunderland unless I'm going blind and there's another.

I see @Zig81 is being needlessly abusive again but he's correct. But @Frijj I have *never* heard anyone refer to the a690 as north/ south. I appreciate looking at google maps it goes north east / south west but amongst family, friends, signs, when it's reported on the news etc its east west. Maybe the council or whoever say otherwise but that's the general usage.

The speed cameras I have seen on the a690 previously have been I) on the WESTbound side, just before the cut, II) WESTbound just before the Ramside and III) EASTboumd along the long lay-by just after the ramside where they closed the lay by due to dogging. All three are money making places that don't really affect road safety.

I have no problem with speed cameras in sensible places e.g. schools, areas where there's a lot of collisions but quite a lot of speed / traffic / bus lane cameras are primarily used for money making e.g. They're positioned not to maximise lives saved but money. That's hardly contentious.

I'm sure you are a lovely bloke mate. Genuinely. Like I say you're clearly a considerate driver.

I'd say the local authority are best placed to say, and the council's own literature refers to the road as being "North East to South West" or "Northbound/Southbound"

That lay-by is the one that's on the same side as traffic heading towards Sunderland unless I'm going blind and there's another.
No it's the one heading towards Houghton from Stoneygate.

Here's another location they put it, looking west down the cut as the road bends to the left they put it on the bridge, in my view this is dangerous as people pick up speed without realising, hence them putting the camera there, now people are aware of it, you see them spending more time on the brakes and checking their speedometers and not concentrating on the road.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.847313,-1.466478,181.47h,-0.64p,1z

I see @Zig81 is being needlessly abusive again but he's correct. But @Frijj I have *never* heard anyone refer to the a690 as north/ south. I appreciate looking at google maps it goes north east / south west but amongst family, friends, signs, when it's reported on the news etc its east west. Maybe the council or whoever say otherwise but that's the general usage.

The speed cameras I have seen on the a690 previously have been I) on the WESTbound side, just before the cut, II) WESTbound just before the Ramside and III) EASTboumd along the long lay-by just after the ramside where they closed the lay by due to dogging. All three are money making places that don't really affect road safety.

I have no problem with speed cameras in sensible places e.g. schools, areas where there's a lot of collisions but quite a lot of speed / traffic / bus lane cameras are primarily used for money making e.g. They're positioned not to maximise lives saved but money. That's hardly contentious.
It's just the way I am mate, I can't change that, if it rubs people up the wrong way then tough shite or should I say apologies.

Last edited:

The lay by we're referring to is on the way OUT of Sunderland, just before the cut where there's a little slip road blocked off with big stones (or used to be). That's where I've seen them. There's one on the other side but I haven't seen one there before. Presumably because less people can get up the cut at more than 50mph so they wouldn't make £££.

Why is it these threads always seem to get heated? The speed limits are there so you should stick to them regardless of whether you think it's too slow. If you go over then so fuck if there's a copper dressed in camouflage is hiding in a bush out to catch you. All this shite about having speed camera signs etc is f***ing daft as then people simply slow down when they get the 'warnings' for fixed cameras (and mobile as they also should have signs) but then speed elsewhere.

That's probably why some hate the average speed cameras as they can't slow down just for the single camera (yet some do as I've seen them slap the brakes on when they go past one). So fuck if they are where there are no accidents in the camera area, what is the problem exactly? There's a speed limit and if you don't speed then why be so so bothered by something that isn't as clear as it could be? If you feel it's because the speed limit should be higher then do you speed because it's OK in your own self-righteous world? If so then that's just 'twattish'. This crap about them being a money making scheme is just a feeble excuse by speeders because if you don't f***ing speed then they wouldn't make any money. Why are you so different to any other Joe Public that you can feel you can 'safely' go faster than what the law states? Aye there are times when roads are empty but what about times when it's busy or the weather is really bad or light is poor or all 3? Are you going to change the signs so people then drive to the conditions in a safe manner? That's why they have smart motorways that reduce limits on the fly because the f***ing self important pricks who need to be there before others can't control their speeds and still do 70+ right up the arse of the car in front and changing lanes unnecessarily when it's lashing down during the day in poor light and half the cars haven't got their lights on.

So for me, the far bigger concern is the amount of f***ing useless and selfish inconsiderate knackers out there on the roads. They drive too close while tailgating or switch lanes or just do twattish things regardless of the speed they are going or the road conditions. I'm chilled as fuck when I drive now as it's so much more relaxing and stress free doing the speed limits and leaving enough stopping distance in front. It's amazing to see the amount of drivers who simply don't give a fuck about anyone else apart from themselves when on the roads. If I'm toddling along doing the speed limit then at least 30% of the time the car behind is so close they have no chance of stopping if I need to stop. They are obviously oblivious to what could happen if I need to stop and would but then they plough into me and push me forward into whatever I was trying to avoid. It's not just things ahead drivers may need to stop fail as tyre or mechanical failure can cause an instant problem also. I can't find the video of a tyre blow out but this has a few things such as a van door come flying off at 25 secs.

Tyre blow out and other failures can't be helped but twattish driving can. It's baffles me as to why the police don't have unmarked cars that just record all this twattish behaviour on the roads and then punish the drivers. I couldn't give a fuck if the police did this and started issuing fines and points as it would mean a change in drivers attitudes that's for sure.

Yet again it's another UK system that is too soft, especially with this 'warning' of speed cameras but some still moan about them even when they are warned. What some won't appreciate is that not all drivers will be as good or confident as these 'better' drivers. Even so, they will still be good enough to be on the road so having people drive at increased speeds (such as 80) etc won't help improve anything.

This first video is over 25 years old now but most will see that driving habits are still the same as the pileups keep happening further down the road!

I'm also baffled how they have brought in the DRL (Daylight Running Lamps) regulation for the front of vehicles yet they haven't for the back. This another thing numbskulls don't realise in bad light/weather that others may not see you as easily and it's amazing how many newer cars you see with no rear lights on due to having DRLs.

This is another showing typical driving behaviour similar to the UK (video not in UK) and there's 1,000's more videos on Youtube showing twat driving.

no doubt some 'regular' speeder will just comment on the long post haha
rant ower as I'm a fast typist so end up with huge posts;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it these threads always seem to get heated? The speed limits are there so you should stick to them regardless of whether you think it's too slow. If you go over then so fuck if there's a copper dressed in camouflage is hiding in a bush out to catch you. All this shite about having speed camera signs etc is f***ing daft as then people simply slow down when they get the 'warnings' for fixed cameras (and mobile as they also should have signs) but then speed elsewhere.

That's probably why some hate the average speed cameras as they can't slow down just for the single camera (yet some do as I've seen them slap the brakes on when they go past one). So fuck if they are where there are no accidents in the camera area, what is the problem exactly? There's a speed limit and if you don't speed then why be so so bothered by something that isn't as clear as it could be? If you feel it's because the speed limit should be higher then do you speed because it's OK in your own self-righteous world? If so then that's just 'twattish'. This crap about them being a money making scheme is just a feeble excuse by speeders because if you don't f***ing speed then they wouldn't make any money. Why are you so different to any other Joe Public that you can feel you can 'safely' go faster than what the law states? Aye there are times when roads are empty but what about times when it's busy or the weather is really bad or light is poor or all 3? Are you going to change the signs so people then drive to the conditions in a safe manner? That's why they have smart motorways that reduce limits on the fly because the f***ing self important pricks who need to be there before others can't control their speeds and still do 70+ right up the arse of the car in front and changing lanes unnecessarily when it's lashing down during the day in poor light and half the cars haven't got their lights on.

So for me, the far bigger concern is the amount of f***ing useless and selfish inconsiderate knackers out there on the roads. They drive too close while tailgating or switch lanes or just do twattish things regardless of the speed they are going or the road conditions. I'm chilled as fuck when I drive now as it's so much more relaxing and stress free doing the speed limits and leaving enough stopping distance in front. It's amazing to see the amount of drivers who simply don't give a fuck about anyone else apart from themselves when on the roads. If I'm toddling along doing the speed limit then at least 30% of the time the car behind is so close they have no chance of stopping if I need to stop. They are obviously oblivious to what could happen if I need to stop and would but then they plough into me and push me forward into whatever I was trying to avoid. It's not just things ahead drivers may need to stop fail as tyre or mechanical failure can cause an instant problem also. I can't find the video of a tyre blow out but this has a few things such as a van door come flying off at 25 secs.

Tyre blow out and other failures can't be helped but twattish driving can. It's baffles me as to why the police don't have unmarked cars that just record all this twattish behaviour on the roads and then punish the drivers. I couldn't give a fuck if the police did this and started issuing fines and points as it would mean a change in drivers attitudes that's for sure.

Yet again it's another UK system that is too soft, especially with this 'warning' of speed cameras but some still moan about them even when they are warned. What some won't appreciate is that not all drivers will be as good or confident as these 'better' drivers. Even so, they will still be good enough to be on the road so having people drive at increased speeds (such as 80) etc won't help improve anything.

This first video is over 25 years old now but most will see that driving habits are still the same as the pileups keep happening further down the road!

I'm also baffled how they have brought in the DRL (Daylight Running Lamps) regulation for the front of vehicles yet they haven't for the back. This another thing numbskulls don't realise in bad light/weather that others may not see you as easily and it's amazing how many newer cars you see with no rear lights on due to having DRLs.

This is another showing typical driving behaviour similar to the UK (video not in UK) and there's 1,000's more videos on Youtube showing twat driving.

Heated you say? :lol:

The guy at the very end of your first video :lol:

Reactions: mux
Seems fair enough to me. Don't speed and you won't get caught.
It's a fair comment and an admirable stance to take.

But....

Can you honestly say that you have never, on occasion, glanced at your speedometer and realised that you have crept a few MPH over the limit? It's easily done in modern cars with their quiet, efficient and increasingly powerful engines.

You might not class that as intentionally speeding but if you happened to be passing a camera van operated by a Force who adhere to a 'zero-tolerance' policy you would get a letter through your door in much the same way as some tear-arse balloon who had flashed past the van at warp-factor 10. The only difference being that you would most likely get offered a speed awareness course whilst Tearaway Tyrone gets an invitation to the nearest court.

The vans are a money-making exercise, short and simple. They make no distinction between a normal, average driver who may have had a momentary lapse in concentration, or had been distracted for a few seconds, and a nutter who would ignore speed limits regardless and just for the hell of it.

If they were truly concerned with preventing speeding they would install fixed cameras on the roads identified as accident risks. Or even those warning signals that flash your speed up as you approach - they are as effective as anything else I've seen.

Fixed cameras may cost more to install initially but if the problem was as bad as they make it out to be they would pay for themselves in a matter of months. The fact they don't do this suggests some sort of cost analysis exercise has been performed and that it has been deemed more cost-effective (ie. profitable) to use camera vans.

But....

Can you honestly say that you have never, on occasion, glanced at your speedometer and realised that you have crept a few MPH over the limit? It's easily done in modern cars with their quiet, efficient and increasingly powerful engines.

You might not class that as intentionally speeding but if you happened to be passing a camera van operated by a Force who adhere to a 'zero-tolerance' policy you would get a letter through your door in much the same way as some tear-arse balloon who had flashed past the van at warp-factor 10. The only difference being that you would most likely get offered a speed awareness course whilst Tearaway Tyrone gets an invitation to the nearest court.

The vans are a money-making exercise, short and simple. They make no distinction between a normal, average driver who may have had a momentary lapse in concentration, or had been distracted for a few seconds, and a nutter who would ignore speed limits regardless and just for the hell of it.

If they were truly concerned with preventing speeding they would install fixed cameras on the roads identified as accident risks. Or even those warning signals that flash your speed up as you approach - they are as effective as anything else I've seen.

Fixed cameras may cost more to install initially but if the problem was as bad as they make it out to be they would pay for themselves in a matter of months. The fact they don't do this suggests some sort of cost analysis exercise has been performed and that it has been deemed more cost-effective (ie. profitable) to use camera vans.

Someone who has a blatant regard will be fined many times over the years instead of just the once like an unlucky OAP. You could argue that that is proportionate punishment.

But....

Yep I have, I always catch myself going 80mph on motorways and if I get caught I'll know it's my fault. I'll be annoyed, but it'll be my fault. I think motorways should be 80mph, but then you'd probably just get people going 90mph.

It probably is partly a money making scheme but drivers shouldn't have a momentary lapses in concentration, or be distracted for a few seconds. I know realistically it's impossible to get people 100% focused, 100% of the time, but it's still not an excuse to speed.

Although I have a lot more sway in my opinion with regards to motorways than single lane roads in heavily built up areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back