New livery scamera vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should probably tell Durham County Council, Sunderland City Council, Tyne Travel, Durham Advertiser, Transport North East, The Sunday Sun, The Chronicle etc who all refer to the A690 Northbound mate.
They don't like, the travel people use west bound and east bound when giving their 15 minute updates.

Which way does the A19 and A1 run?

They don't like, the travel people use west bound and east bound when giving their 15 minute updates.

Which way does the A19 and A1 run?

Yes they do as I just searched for "A690 Northbound" which linked me to pages including this:

PLANNING & HIGHWAYS COMMITTEE 18 FEBRUARY 2015 A690 DURHAM ROAD / STONEYGATE JUNCTION
REPORT OF THE DEPUTY CHIEF EXECUTIVE
  1. 13% of A690 southbound traffic makes a right turn into High Lane.

2. 6.7 6% of A690 northbound traffic makes a right turn in to the Un-named road.
That's from Sunderland City Council

Yes they do as I just searched for "A690 Northbound" which linked me to pages including this:

PLANNING & HIGHWAYS COMMITTEE 18 FEBRUARY 2015 A690 DURHAM ROAD / STONEYGATE JUNCTION
REPORT OF THE DEPUTY CHIEF EXECUTIVE
  1. 13% of A690 southbound traffic makes a right turn into High Lane.

2. 6.7 6% of A690 northbound traffic makes a right turn in to the Un-named road.
That's from Sunderland City Council
Which way do the the A19 and A1 run?

The A690 does not run north to south, if you're travelling from stoneygate towards Sunderland you are travelling East, towards the coast, going towards Rainton from Sunderland you're heading West.

Durham Constabulary mention east bound when reporting a collision on their website.

Last edited:
Which way do the the A19 and A1 run?

The A690 does not run north to south, if you're travelling from stoneygate towards Sunderland you are travelling East towards the coast, going towards Rainton from Sunderland you're heading West.

Well that's Sunderland City Council's description of traffic on the A690 mate.

Does it really matter? The traffic is heading both North and East or South and West depending on which side of the road it's on.

Well that's Sunderland City Council's description of traffic on the A690 mate.

Does it really matter? The traffic is heading both North and East or South and West depending on which side of the road it's on.
So the camera van is not there to stop traffic speeding east towards the staggered junction, the camera van is clearly there to make a few quid not the reason they should be used for.

So the camera van is not there to stop traffic speeding east towards the staggered junction, the camera van is clearly there to make a few quid not the reason they should be used for.

The lay-by is on the same side of the road as the traffic heading towards that junction.

If drivers didn't speed it wouldn't make a penny.

The lay-by is on the same side of the road as the traffic heading towards that junction.

If drivers didn't speed it wouldn't make a penny.
No it isn't, the layby they use for the van is west bound, this is like pulling fuckin teeth, how many times do I need to tell you this before it sinks in.

I'll try one last time, the camera van parks in the layby heading towards Houghton(west) this location is approximately 1/2 mile beyond(important bit) the staggered junction you are using to justify your argument. Do you actually know this road are are you just using google?

Aye. If you don't have cruise control, I would argue they are dangerous. Hateful and needless.
Protecting the workforce is fair enough, but having to endure 30 miles of 50mph (if you are lucky) enforced limits when the works are gone and have been for ages, is a piss taking farce.
They are a nightmare. My car does not have cruise control and to stay under 50mph is a constant battle of speeding up and down, lots of peddle work. Terrible pain if I have trained legs at the gym previous day.

No it isn't, the layby they use for the van is west bound, this is like pulling fuckin teeth, how many times do I need to tell you this before it sinks in.

I'll try one last time, the camera van parks in the layby heading towards Houghton(west) this location is approximately 1/2 mile beyond(important bit) the staggered junction you are using to justify your argument. Do you actually know this road are are you just using google?

I do know the road, yep. You can piss and moan all you like. If the lay-by is used after the junction it still catches folk who think they're above the rules of the road which by the sounds of it, is you.

Wouldn't be surprised if the van can capture traffic on either side as well

I've never seen a camera van there and there's a lay-by on the NORTHbound carriage which you seem to deny the existence of but since you don't know what a compass is I don't suppose that's a surprise.

But as has already been pointed out, it's about half a mile down the road after you pass the junction in question.

In fact, due to the way the road bends slightly to the left after said junction, the camera van would be hard-pressed to see any of the junction on the Westbound carriageway - it might just be able to see the part of the junction that is on the Eastbound side. How is that contributing to the safety of that particular junction?

Bugger - beat me to it. :lol:

But as has already been pointed out, it's about half a mile down the road after you pass the junction in question.

In fact, due to the way the road bends slightly to the left after said junction, the camera van would be hard-pressed to see any of the junction on the Westbound carriageway - it might just be able to see the part of the junction that is on the Eastbound side. How is that contributing to the safety of that particular junction?

By getting cars to slow down before it if it's tracking northbound traffic

It doesn't contribute to the safety of the junction if it's tracking southbound traffic and I've never said it would

Lots of very angry motorists who seem incapable of accepting that they were caught speeding

I do know the road, yep. You can piss and moan all you like. If the lay-by is used after the junction it still catches folk who think they're above the rules of the road which by the sounds of it, is you.

I've never seen a camera van there and there's a lay-by on the NORTHbound carriage which you seem to deny the existence of but since you don't know what a compass is I don't suppose that's a surprise
You are a fuckin clown, a typical presumptuous jumped up young lad who believes he knows best.

I've been driving longer than you've been on this planet, I drive for a living now, my license has exactly no points on it, I've never attended a speed awareness course. It seems you presuming I think I'm above the rules of the road is bollocks isn't it son?

There's been numerous posters comment on the location of the west bound camera, I take it they're also wrong because you've never seen it. Am I correct in thinking you don't actually live in the area?

Were you aware the A690 doesn't actually have an East and West bound carriageway? It actually runs North and South!

Last edited:
You are a fuckin clown, a typical presumptuous jumped up young lad who believes he knows best.

I've been driving longer than you've been on this planet, I drive for a living now, my license has exactly no points on it, I've never attended a speed awareness course. It seems you presuming I think I'm above the rules of the road is bollocks isn't it son?

There's been numerous posters comment on the location of the west bound camera, I take it they're also wrong because you've never seen it. Am I correct in thinking you don't actually live in the area?

Were you aware the A690 doesn't actually have an East and West bound carriageway? It actually runs North and South!

Actually, I said it runs South West to North East, meanwhile both Durham and Sunderland Councils refer to the A690 Northbound and Southbound. I don't think whether it runs West, East, North or South if of any real relevance to the thread.

I have absolutely no idea why you're so angry mind. My perspective on speed cameras is that they're their to make the roads safer by enforcing speed limits. Someone died on that road in 2015, and there have been numerous accidents on that stretch over the years. The police are well within their rights to enforce the speed limit on that road, I am at a loss as to why so many motorists have an issue.

So you've never, ever been caught speeding is that what you're saying? If so, baffles me why you have such a problem with speed cameras then.

Reactions: mux
:lol::lol::lol:

Live in Sunderland. Have worked in Durham since 1989. Never ever considered it as a North/South route - always East/West.

The North/South routes are the A19 and A1M.

It's just semantics (or pedantic) to say that the A690 runs North-East/South-West - in general everyday use it's regarded as East/West.

:lol::lol::lol:

Live in Sunderland. Have worked in Durham since 1989. Never ever considered it as a North/South route - always East/West.

The North/South routes are the A19 and A1M.

It's just semantics (or pedantic) to say that the A690 runs North-East/South-West - in general everyday use it's regarded as East/West.
Well it is @Frijj so it's to be expected.

Well it is @Frijj so it's to be expected.

And both Durham and Sunderland Councils, unless the councils are wrong about their own roads? Don't let that get in the way of you having a petty little dig at me though.

Can you show me where this lay-by is that they use to catch the westbound traffic then?

My perspective on speed cameras is that they're their to make the roads safer by enforcing speed limits. Someone died on that road in 2015, and there have been numerous accidents on that stretch over the years. The police are well within their rights to enforce the speed limit on that road, I am at a loss as to why so many motorists have an issue.
The issue is the positioning of the camera AFTER the point at which the major accidents have happened when travelling Westward.

If they were serious about it being a preventative measure the camera van should be positioned BEFORE you reach the junction in question when travelling West.

The issue is the positioning of the camera AFTER the point at which the major accidents have happened when travelling Westward.

If they were serious about it being a preventative measure the camera van should be positioned BEFORE you reach the junction in question when travelling West.

I can't seem to see where this lay-by is. Where is it? The only lay-by I've ever seen on that road is on the side of the road you'd be driving on where you heading North East towards Sunderland from Houghton-le-Spring.

Actually, I said it runs South West to North East, meanwhile both Durham and Sunderland Councils refer to the A690 Northbound and Southbound. I don't think whether it runs West, East, North or South if of any real relevance to the thread.

I have absolutely no idea why you're so angry mind. My perspective on speed cameras is that they're their to make the roads safer by enforcing speed limits. Someone died on that road in 2015, and there have been numerous accidents on that stretch over the years. The police are well within their rights to enforce the speed limit on that road, I am at a loss as to why so many motorists have an issue.

So you've never, ever been caught speeding is that what you're saying? If so, baffles me why you have such a problem with speed cameras then.
Angry? No frustrated by jumped up little pricks who believe they know it all, like you assumed I think I'm above the rules of the road. I drive with a great deal of care and attention, I'm courteous to other road users as I appreciate some aren't as experienced as others. As for your question, no I have never been caught speeding in the near 27 years I've been driving.

Speed cameras have there uses but deploying them on a stretch of road where there's been no accidents or people killed achieves what exactly? Deploying them at the bottom of hills where there's been no accidents or people killed achieves what exactly? If they put the speed camera in a position to stop people speeding towards the place where accidents and someone was killed then you'd be correct, however they don't, they deploy them in locations to make money, it's as simple as that.

I also drive an Audi Q5. :lol:

I can't seem to see where this lay-by is. Where is it? The only lay-by I've ever seen on that road is on the side of the road you'd be driving on where you heading North East towards Sunderland from Houghton-le-Spring.
It's difficult to spot on Google maps. The obvious one (that you seem to be referring to) is on the Eastbound carriageway at the top of Houghton Cut.

The one we're all referring to is on the opposite side of the road a little bit further Eastward. On Google maps it's partially obscured by overhanging trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back