New livery scamera vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone could have telt me they were out on a Sunday afternoon these days too now like :lol:
Bastard fucker pissant sat near the bridge on the A690 yesterday near Rainton Business Park whilst I headed towards Durham.
Me happily cruising around the corner just shy of 60mph when I first noticed him.
14 days of waiting for the inevitable now :rolleyes::oops::neutral:

Someone could have telt me they were out on a Sunday afternoon these days too now like :lol:
Bastard fucker pissant sat near the bridge on the A690 yesterday near Rainton Business Park whilst I headed towards Durham.
Me happily cruising around the corner just shy of 60mph when I first noticed him.
over an indicated 57 should get you the driving course, under it you will be ok..

I'm not going to judge people that speed (up to a point) but I don't expect them to whinge when they get caught.

It seems the police can't win either way with some. Put the cameras on display clearly, they're a distraction and dangerous. Use them more covertly and they're underhand and sneaky.

If you're happy going above the speed limit don't complain if you get caught and fined.

Reactions: mux
I might have misunderstood mate so apologies if so, but you aren't suggesting 70 down Houghton Cut is safe are you? It would be f***ing chaos. You'd have the TNT lads trying to break the sound barrier.

I've just been done a few weeks ago. f***ing annoying but entirely my own fault.

What I find weird is the 690 is 50mph but Durham Rd from the Mill r/a up to East Rainton is 60. Seems daft to me.

I don't understand what you mean. I can't think of any 60mph dual carriageway limits in the North East, let alone on the A690! They're as rare as hen's teeth. The entire stretch of the A690 from the A19 to the M1 roundabout is 50mph IIRC.

I've seen it further up just before the Rainton Meadows turn off where it used to be a 70 but is now a 50.

Aye, sounds about the area it was positioned this Sunday just gone.

Seems crazy that that is a dual carriageway straight clear stretch & only a 50mph zone.
Yet on a daily basis I drive the A171 from Guisborough to Scarborough via Whitby on a single carriageway road that is primarily a national speed limit 60mph allowance journey most of the way on far more dangerous patches throughout where a slower maximum speed would be more justified to my naked eye.
Doesn't seem to be any logic or consistency in it at all in some specific cases.

Last edited:
I just wish they'd make motorways an unlimited speed limit. I'm always going to do more than 70 anyway like, made it back from Manchester to Sunderland in 2 hours opening day of last season.

I don't understand what you mean. I can't think of any 60mph dual carriageway limits in the North East, let alone on the A690! They're as rare as hen's teeth. The entire stretch of the A690 from the A19 to the M1 roundabout is 50mph IIRC.

The point I'm making is a road running pararell through a built up area has a faster speed limit than the road taking the traffic away from that built up area

Is this the same stretch of road on which there was a fatality in September 2015? Cluster of accidents at the staggered junction at Stoney Gate too. Easy to see why they'd choose to enforce there.
They do not cover the staggered junction. That was a badly designed junction together with lack of awareness is a wrong un. normally the van is on the west bound carriageway about 500-700 yards from there, just at the brow before the cut. They also park on the west carriageway on the cut on the downward slope. I can understand this as a number of accidents have occurred on that right hand bend. There is also confusion there as they have a mixture of 40 /50 speed signs

Bastards nabbed me on a690. I knew it was 50 but was late for work. Can't complain though it being 50 on that stretch is a joke.

Snap, Sunday afternoon also.
Although I think I was closer to 55.

Well done the police.

Aye. If you don't have cruise control, I would argue they are dangerous. Hateful and needless.
Protecting the workforce is fair enough, but having to endure 30 miles of 50mph (if you are lucky) enforced limits when the works are gone and have been for ages, is a piss taking farce.
Well said. There's never any work going on

I was doing 55 on the downhill bit from the Pittington turnoff to the A1 roundabout last week when a copper came up behind me doing about 60, never stopped me or owt. Think most coppers will give you a bit leeway if the roads quiet and your not ripping it. Cameras don't/can't.

The point I'm making is a road running pararell through a built up area has a faster speed limit than the road taking the traffic away from that built up area

roads like that tend to have natural speed inhibitors, such as bends and junctions. also have traffic coming the other way. That tends to slow people down a lot. whereas a dual carriageway is like a speed magnet. I can see where you are coming from, but there is good reason. I do agree though that for some motorists are a cash cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back