New fitness type bloke at SAFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopefully the intensity of training has gone up a notch, i think he would have preferred the Gillingham game wasnt on Tuesday so he could have poss done double sessions or atleast done high intensity training

I completely get that they wont be as skilful, but there is no reason why this squad cannot be as fit as any international. If I was being paid well to do nothing but train every day, I'd be very fit. I'd still be a shit footballer as I'm not a natural, but I'd be able to run for 90 minutes.

Some of the Frank Lampard-style fines regarding personal standards and fitness should sort the wheat from the chaff, and for those who don't want to be fitter and more professional in their approach, bin them off and let the world know why they are being binned off so they never play league football again - its not like any of them have much of a re-sale value anyway.

Parky has been here long enough now to know who is up for it, who is fit enough and who is good enough.
Also been here long enough to start doing something about it. Hopefully this appointment is part of it and not just “getting his usual team in”

The reality is they aren't unfit at all. Its a different malaise affecting performance. Players lack the self belief to express themselves and the confidence to leave their comfort zone. The negative approach Ross instilled has permeated every area of the pitch, no players take risks anymore. The fans being a bit disgruntled only reinforces the negativity loop. This is why I thought we needed a "big character" as manager. In my opinion it's not fitness that's lacking, it's the self confidence to try things, make those runs and express yourself on the pitch.....which is why imo we haven't seen any improvement since Parky rocked up. He was never the right man for the task in hand and all this lack of fitness bollocks is just that, bollocks.

Being 2 stone over weight isnt unfit?

I cannot stop thinking of when PDC was appointed. He immediately started pointing out areas where the players were unprofessional and demanded changes, like not eating ketchup. The reality of being a professional footballer is that, they should think about every little thing. Why shouldn't there be someone at SAFC reminding them of this and pointing and pushing them in the right direction? PDC quickly lost the squad, but the best thing he did for the club was waking some of the players up.

I dont know the actual weights involved if you want to be pedantic about it

Take your pick

McGeady
McGuire
Mcnulty

Do you think they look like athletes? Trained to the highest degree? Paid thousabds a week?

Over to you Alf

So you made that number up :lol:

First up, body type can affect how a player looks. Wayne Rooney for example is an endomorph. He looks chunky but you could never accuse him of being unfit. I'd suggest Maguire tends towards that body shape but I watched him specifically in the game against Shrewsbury and he put a shift in. I'll use Jack Rodwell as another example. Physically he looks a good specimen, you'd never suggest he was unfit. On the pitch though he hid as much as he could get away with because he played with fear.....in one second half for us he touched the ball twice.

Anyway, to sum up I don't think it's fitness that's holding us back. I've seen loads of games where I've never questioned the effort and application. I've also seen loads where I can see that players are playing without confidence. One can easily be mistaken for the other imo.

The reality is they aren't unfit at all. Its a different malaise affecting performance. Players lack the self belief to express themselves and the confidence to leave their comfort zone. The negative approach Ross instilled has permeated every area of the pitch, no players take risks anymore. The fans being a bit disgruntled only reinforces the negativity loop. This is why I thought we needed a "big character" as manager. In my opinion it's not fitness that's lacking, it's the self confidence to try things, make those runs and express yourself on the pitch.....which is why imo we haven't seen any improvement since Parky rocked up. He was never the right man for the task in hand and all this lack of fitness bollocks is just that, bollocks.

I agree. We had more shots from outside the box in the Tranmere game than we did during Jack Ross’ entire reign...... of it felt that way

So you made that number up :lol:

First up, body type can affect how a player looks. Wayne Rooney for example is an endomorph. He looks chunky but you could never accuse him of being unfit. I'd suggest Maguire tends towards that body shape but I watched him specifically in the game against Shrewsbury and he put a shift in. I'll use Jack Rodwell as another example. Physically he looks a good specimen, you'd never suggest he was unfit. On the pitch though he hid as much as he could get away with because he played with fear.....in one second half for us he touched the ball twice.

Anyway, to sum up I don't think it's fitness that's holding us back. I've seen loads of games where I've never questioned the effort and application. I've also seen loads where I can see that players are playing without confidence. One can easily be mistaken for the other imo.

I think the both are linked, but it cant be good to run around with extra lbs? (no specific weight involved)

I think the both are linked, but it cant be good to run around with extra lbs? (no specific weight involved)

No its not good. A professional athlete should be as close as possible to peak fitness. As I say though I don't think the current malaise is down to a lack of fitness. Think about when Martin O'Neil came in and this is how the results went for his first 15 games...

WLWDWWWLWDWWWLW (Premier League not L1)

The reality is the players were in a negativity loop under Ross and Phil "Mr Personality" Parkinson hasn't changed that.

Last edited:
I welcome the appointment and even if it improves overall fitness marginally it will be a good thing.

A more pressing concern for me is the coaching. Set pieces have degenerated yet again to the point where I’m more worried about us being left exposed from a counter attack than any genuine threat from our our own set piece.

Over the last two games (Gillingham and Scunthorpe) we must have had at least 10 corners and not looked remotely threatening from any. We‘ve even stopped trying to do anything differently.

Don‘t even get me started on keeping possession from our own throws!

No its not good. A professional athlete should be as close as possible to peak fitness. As I say though I don't think the current malaise is down to a lack of fitness. Think about when Martin O'Neil came in and this is how the results went for his first 15 games...

The reality is the players were in a negativity loop under Ross and Phil "Mr Personality" Parkinson hasn't changed that.
Maybe he’s realised this and has brought this lad to the club in an effort to change that. I’ve been yards away from them at the match mate. Some of them are blowing for a tug after 30 mins. That can’t be right. The fitter you are the better you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it's both lack of fitness (in some) and some are hiding/lack confidence but the main culprits (the Jocks mentioned earlier) don't seem to be the unconfident types, without knowing the facts I would guess 09 is the fittest and backs it up by covering more ground and quickly than any other player in the squad,by doing this he affects the game more than any other player consistently, all of this without the god given ability of the three amigos, if your best players are also the fittest and most hardworking players you will succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back