New fitness type bloke at SAFC.

This manager whatever anyone thinks of him is trying to make us fitter therefore better, my worry is a bit like PDC it isn't what the players want, the younger already fitter and hungrier players will probably embrace it but the older and probably more naturally talented? He's given himself a couple of months to see if there's a reaction good or bad, solve either in January and go from there.

If he does identify any slackers just looking for an easy ride then I hope Donald backs him in dropping them and moving them out, including blue eyed boy Grigg who's shirt hasn't needed a wash yet this season.

I'm not sure how Parkinson will work out and how good a manager he is, but looking away from a few pathetic cup results the bloke has looked at things instantly and called them out and tried to do something about them.

First he spoke about and implemented more energy and pace in the team where possible, getting the ball forward more quickly and into the opposition areas and getting players into there too. Recently he's spoke about needing more strength up front and not just bemoaned the lack of Wyke and hopes on his return and now looked at the fitness of the team and is trying to do something about it.

He hasn't repeatedly gone on about clean sheets, because he's managed the fucker in two games so far where Ross couldn't despite it being his aim in both comments and the way he set his team up. I know it's not popular so far but I don't think it's been half as bad as some are making out, the next two league games will show us more.

This manager whatever anyone thinks of him is trying to make us fitter therefore better, my worry is a bit like PDC it isn't what the players want, the younger already fitter and hungrier players will probably embrace it but the older and probably more naturally talented? He's given himself a couple of months to see if there's a reaction good or bad, solve either in January and go from there.

The craic at the time was they players happily accepted the fitness element, it was other things. Players will tend to buy into almost anything if it gets results.

The players bought into Allardyce's methods too and whilst not as strict diet wise in some areas maybe, fitness and sports science were massive for him.

You know marra, the only saving grace from our drop down the divisions for me was the chance to dig out the ones that couldn’t be arsed and didn’t really give a shite about the club and what it means to us. I had high hopes, new beginning kind of thing. Yet on numerous occasions I’m seeing the same traits from lesser players. I’ve had cause many times to say at the match “ffs man just do your f**king job” how can this be? It really is beginning to boil my piss. I find myself more and more thinking if you dont want to be here just f**k off. Grow a pair and leave. But at least show some honesty. I’ve seen some shite down the years just as you and thousands of others have, I’ve always tried to be positive as that is my nature, but these buggers are testing me out.

You know marra, the only saving grace from our drop down the divisions for me was the chance to dig out the ones that couldn’t be arsed and didn’t really give a shite about the club and what it means to us. I had high hopes, new beginning kind of thing. Yet on numerous occasions I’m seeing the same traits from lesser players. I’ve had cause many times to say at the match “ffs man just do your f**king job” how can this be? It really is beginning to boil my piss. I find myself more and more thinking if you dont want to be here just f**k off. Grow a pair and leave. But at least show some honesty. I’ve seen some shite down the years just as you and thousands of others have, I’ve always tried to be positive as that is my nature, but these buggers are testing me out.
What pisses me off even more is there's still a drinking culture at the club after all this piss taking party talk it still exists, and it's not just one or two.

What pisses me off even more is there's still a drinking culture at the club after all this piss taking party talk it still exists, and it's not just one or two.

I dont care if they drink 20 pints a night, as long as they do their job, these are not doing their jobs. My dad worked down the pit, he could hoy the beer down, but always went to work and put the effort in, these fuckers are taking the piss. One of my heroes, could apparently do 20 pints of Guinness in a night, and he was majestic for us, I met him recently as well :)

I dont care if they drink 20 pints a night, as long as they do their job, these are not doing their jobs. My dad worked down the pit, he could hoy the beer down, but always went to work and put the effort in, these fuckers are taking the piss. One of my heroes, could apparently do 20 pints of Guinness in a night, and he was majestic for us, I met him recently as well :)
Can't do that these days as a large % of the opposition don't do it, if they were going great guns people wouldn't have any real problems with it but when it's not it gets highlighted as a reason why which is fair enough, be the best you can be and that would generally mean keep off the drink as much as possible.

Can't do that these days as a large % of the opposition don't do it, if they were going great guns people wouldn't have any real problems with it but when it's not it gets highlighted as a reason why which is fair enough, be the best you can be and that would generally mean keep off the drink as much as possible.

I agree, if it affects your performance dont do it

It shouldn’t take the manager to sort this. It should be something that the club do for themselves - that sits outside of head coach functions. What happens when parkinson moves on and takes allamby with him - as he usually does?

I do agree marra, but I wonder how many lower league clubs have departments that persist indpendent of the manager rather than a team who follow them on the merry go round.

A few more with his desire and attitude would be very welcome to the squad. He was immense against Southend.
He’s the perfect example of someone who wants to be the best that he can be at what he does. That is the reason he has my respect and appreciation. Will he play for Barcelona? No. And he will know this, but it doesn’t stop him from offering all that he has to offer.

So i ask again as i have for weeks now how do you motivate a squad of players who know their future isnt here.They couldnt give a shit man
I reckon the first thing you do is be honest as a club and say that promotion is no longer the aim this season, that mistakes have been made and that the task for January is to start the rebuild to leave us better positioned for next season. Agree with what you’re saying mind. That is another factor contributing to our poor performance.
I’ll be honest I’d be happy to see the back of them. Football is moving away from the likes of McGeady and Maguire. We’d be far better off building around young energetic lads.

Last edited:

Obviously Pip isn't happy with what he is seeing, good to see him doing something about it and quickly, providing the players buy into it of course....

An interesting article that one, it sounds like he is more in a managerial type role than direct hands-on with the players. Making sure that all the bits of the club pull together to ensure that players are at their best. Hopefully he can have the desired effect.

Obviously someone who has worked with PP before and trusted by him, and someone who understands the importance of sports science/statistics.

I always feel that articles like that should be getting pushed on the club website when we are going through periods of disillusionment like now to show that things are actually being done in the background and that the issues that need addressed are being addressed.
It shouldn’t take the manager to sort this. It should be something that the club do for themselves - that sits outside of head coach functions. What happens when parkinson moves on and takes allamby with him - as he usually does?

I think you are right, and that a good 'Director of Football' type person who really understands the game at the top level is required to oversee all of this.

Obviously there is still the issue that as you point out, PP will probably want him to move when he goes and that is true of most managers who want to take their backroom staff team with them....which is really something I think all good clubs and managers need to be moving away from.

Last edited:
This is good news.
I hope this gives any slouchers a deserved kick up the arse.
Also, what a model pro O'Nein is, he was training on his off days last season too.
Its good news that a fitness bloke is coming in to ramp up our fitness levels.

My concern is that Parkinson wants to play a pressing side, yet we probably only have Gooch, Hume and O’Nien who are mobile enough to play that way.

I'm not sure how Parkinson will work out and how good a manager he is, but looking away from a few pathetic cup results the bloke has looked at things instantly and called them out and tried to do something about them.

First he spoke about and implemented more energy and pace in the team where possible, getting the ball forward more quickly and into the opposition areas and getting players into there too. Recently he's spoke about needing more strength up front and not just bemoaned the lack of Wyke and hopes on his return and now looked at the fitness of the team and is trying to do something about it.

He hasn't repeatedly gone on about clean sheets, because he's managed the fucker in two games so far where Ross couldn't despite it being his aim in both comments and the way he set his team up. I know it's not popular so far but I don't think it's been half as bad as some are making out, the next two league games will show us more.
Ross has left a set of players that looked lost on the pitch. PP wouldn't have been my choice however I hope you're right and agree the next 2 games will give an indication of where we are heading.

I agree.

We have the best wages and best training facilites by a country mile in the division so there should be no lack of motivation or fitness.

I think players come to sunderland and think they have it made. The senior pros at the Club really need to stand up to the plate.

Back