New fitness type bloke at SAFC.

Thing is LA the manager isnt going anywhere in the next 6 mths at least,so what we think is meh.They arnt going to sack him after 8 games.

No, you're absolutely right. That doesn't mean I can't have a view on whether he was the right appointment or whether the suggestion that everything needs to change once again to accommodate a new manager's preferred style is the right thing to do a third of the way through the season and two months away from being able to effect change in the transfer market. My remit for sourcing a new manager would have been "Can you effect a change among the players you inherit. If so how will you do it"
Condition is also part of fitness though. They play Saturday Tuesday so will have fitness but a number of them aren’t in the right condition. Diet, nutrition, prevention of injury, rest/ sleep patterns. It’s lifestyle as much as running and gym.

We can argue that all day but I doubt there's any evidence of individuals partying then shoving kebabs down their gullet. We as fans associate failure to meet our expectations with accusations of lifestyle and attitude issues when the reality is probably simply that the psychology around the squad is negative.

Last edited:
No, you're absolutely right. That doesn't mean I can't have a view on whether he was the right appointment or whether the suggestion that everything needs to change once again to accommodate a new manager's preferred style is the right thing to do a third of the way through the season and two months away from being able to effect change in the transfer market. My remit for sourcing a new manager would have been "Can you effect a change among the players you inherit. If so how will you do it"
So i ask again as i have for weeks now how do you motivate a squad of players who know their future isnt here.They couldnt give a shit man

The people you mention though Keane - expectations of 90plus minutes of absolute graft, commitment, professionalism. Condition and fitness is part of his ethos. Allardyce is renowned for his commitment to cutting edge fitness and conditioning methods. It’s what made our side improve largely under him. He had a bang average start. Psychological benefits come from improved fitness. Of course we could have had a better manager- it’s depressing what ponds we fish in now - but this better managers will see us as what we are are - a league one club with big potential and unbelievable fan base and facilities but with a reputation as a managers graveyard.

The people you mention though Keane - expectations of 90plus minutes of absolute graft, commitment, professionalism. Condition and fitness is part of his ethos. Allardyce is renowned for his commitment to cutting edge fitness and conditioning methods. It’s what made our side improve largely under him. He had a bang average start. Psychological benefits come from improved fitness. Of course we could have had a better manager- it’s depressing what ponds we fish in now - but this better managers will see us as what we are are - a league one club with big potential and unbelievable fan base and facilities but with a reputation as a managers graveyard.

It was largely instantaneous with Keane and O'Neil though and we even coined the phrase "doing a Sunderland" with those dramatic late houdini acts. Those things weren't about gradual and incremental changes, they were about an instant change in the psychology of the group. For what it's worth that's what I think is wrong in the main currently.

We can argue that all day but I doubt there's any evidence of individuals partying then shoving kebabs down their gullet. We as fans associate failure to meet our expectations with accusations of lifestyle and attitude issues when the reality is probably simply that the psychology around the squad is negative.
Isn’t the point here though that the new guy will measure that stuff and set targets for improvement. So we don’t have to worry about it ? Don’t you think a number of our players look to have bellies on them ? Essentially excessive body fat ? I do. It’s not saying they’re not fitter than your average person but when I watch games we seem to be out worked, we struggle to match the physical strength intensity and pace of other sides. Some of that is player type, some will WB pressure/ confidence/ psychological preparation , some the ineffectiveness of the group /unit, some fitness. We have to get it all right but I dare make a bet that some will silk and maybe leave (good) with new pressures around condition but most will buy I and improve and guess what ? Feel more confident

This manager whatever anyone thinks of him is trying to make us fitter therefore better, my worry is a bit like PDC it isn't what the players want, the younger already fitter and hungrier players will probably embrace it but the older and probably more naturally talented? He's given himself a couple of months to see if there's a reaction good or bad, solve either in January and go from there.

There’s an element of personal responsibility on them as professionals. It’s symptomatic of the attitude of some of them that, if they know themselves they’re struggling with fitness levels to do more themselves.

I’m expected to have a reasonable degree of physical strength and fitness in order to do my job. My employer provides scheduled training 3-4 times a month. Decent of them but nowhere near enough. They also provide access to gym facilities though. So when able, most often in my own time i hit the gym. It’s called having a little professional pride in knowing you’re fit for your job or role. This equally applies to people who pursue qualifications or knowledge that allows them to improve or excel in their chosen career.

The challenge for PP is the man management aspect. Enforce or encourage better attitudes, (including physical performance)
depending on the individual. BSA I think was all over this.

There’s an element of personal responsibility on them as professionals. It’s symptomatic of the attitude of some of them that, if they know themselves they’re struggling with fitness levels to do more themselves.

I’m expected to have a reasonable degree of physical strength and fitness in order to do my job. My employer provides scheduled training 3-4 times a month. Decent of them but nowhere near enough. They also provide access to gym facilities though. So when able, most often in my own time i hit the gym. It’s called having a little professional pride in knowing you’re fit for your job or role. This equally applies to people who pursue qualifications or knowledge that allows them to improve or excel in their chosen career.

The challenge for PP is the man management aspect. Enforce or encourage better attitudes, (including physical performance)
depending on the individual. BSA I think was all over this.
I remember listening to one of the Peter Crouch podcasts and while BSA was at Blackburn he had the players wearing those performance bra things which monitored all aspects of the players work rate, anyway Benni McCarthy worked out if he sprinted to take every corner it upped his figures and he was even praised by Sam for his appeared effort when he was basically just as lazy during the actual game :lol:

I think you’re exaggerating, mate, no offence.

I personally don’t think fitness is anything to do with how poor we’ve been. We need pace and power throughout the side.
This.January is absolutely massive,get this wrong and we are in the shit big time.I dont know if the new scouts are up and running yet ,god we need them

A good mate who isn't on here but watches from afar and also knows really well a couple of people at the club has something to say about this...
He agrees with a lot of what @Lord Alfred says but adds that Parkinson isn't happy with the levels as he wants to play a high pressing quicker game but they generally aren't up to it, only O'Nien has been stopping back regularly after training but recently Dobson and a couple of others have joined him (I think we can guess which ones don't) and what I didn't realise was Grigg commutes from the NW often as he lives there still! Anyway this bloke being brought in should help and the double sessions are coming so we'll see either an improvement or lots of transfer requests!
This is good news.
I hope this gives any slouchers a deserved kick up the arse.
Also, what a model pro O'Nein is, he was training on his off days last season too.

Who'd f***ing have him

Can we get a refund off Wigan he doesn't work

You can on most things

If the yanks ain't happy want to bet
Haway Hank. We know what he’s capable of man. I’m sure someone would take him. And no we won’t get a refund unfortunately. Caveat emptor.

Back